Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:26 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times

Advertisements

There is actually a family somewhere in the US with the last name of 'Crapizano'. I kid you not. I used to pull their file when I worked for an insurance company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
I'd change my last name ... if it were "Hitler." I wouldn't change it for the other examples given. I work with someone with the name Slaughter ... and I don't observe any odd references made to him/it.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,366 times
I have a beutiful French name that is hard to pronounce but no I would not trade it.

brushrunner

Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
I have a beutiful French name that is hard to pronounce but no I would not trade it.

brushrunner

LOL well at least it's beautiful.

My maiden name is German and many people have a hard time pronouncing or spelling it. So when I got married, I was frankly glad to "trade it in" for an easy to spell and pronounce last name.

Then I got divorced and took my maiden name back. GROAN. I told my parents, "It's like a bad penny - it keeps turning back up!" (actually, I never really understood that saying, but it seemed to fit.)

Then I remarried, and got what I thought was another "normal" last name. Au contraire! Though it's the name of a large European country - one that I really thought everyone would surely know - PEOPLE CANNOT SAY IT. OR SPELL IT. It's RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sigh.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:19 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
This morning I encounters someone with the last name "Boner." I hope they pronounce it the same as John Boehner, but I don't think they do.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:41 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Hunsucker is German for dog sucker. (Hun as in hound) It means exactly what it sounds like

Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
This morning I encounters someone with the last name "Boner." I hope they pronounce it the same as John Boehner, but I don't think they do.
Maybe they give it a French pronunciation, i.e., Beau-nair?

I once worked as a waitress in a place that put the customer's name on a card, placed it on the table, and when I approached, I was expected to greet the patron(s) by name. One night, I was taking water to the table and spotted the card - Mr and Mrs Noz. I swallowed, hoped, and said, "Good evening, Mr and Mrs Nahz." The gentleman smiled and said, "How did you know how to pronounce my name?" I replied that if it was my name, that's how I would pronounce it. We all laughed and I got a really good tip at that table!

Old 04-23-2013, 01:04 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
I would never change my name.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think some last names are really stupid, and makes on wonder why they were never changed in the first place.

I had a friend in HS, his last name was "Watt". Kenny, what is your last name? Watt. No Kenny, what is your last name?, My last name is Watt.

pretty dumb.

another friend in HS, last name was "Butt", i am assuming it was shortened from some ethnic last name, Buttafucco, perhaps....but never the less, to go thru school with a last name like Butt. OMG

My mothers first BF his last name was "Stump", OMG, thank goodness she didn't marry him, I would never have of wanted the last name like "Stump", I would have changed it at 18.

Luckily my Mother married a Greek man and we now have a great ethnic Greek last name....

I dont get, the really stupid last manes, there should be no reason for it.
Boy in my years called watt everybody laughs about it.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
I would not change my name unless it was truly terrible. Hitler level only.

Hogg, Head, Roach, I'd keep 'em. My name has been carried by generations and I'm not going to toss that away.

I'm still smarting at taking my husband's name. I'm American by birth, English by descent, and now I'm walking around with a Polish name. It isn't me.
Yea if I was a woman I would die if I took a name that didnt represent me. Like a african or a spanish name. Hmm noo..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy