Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Hitler.

Raper.

Slaughter.

Shatraw.

What about Hogshead, or Roach, or Hogg, or Whitehead?

This is my opinion - Life's too short to live it burdened with a last name that would be repulsive and invoke such a negative, or ridiculing response from so many people.

Would you worry about offending members of your family?

Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM

80 posts, read 218,761 times
haha I actually know people with many of the names you just mentioned, aside from Hitler and Raper. I wouldn't change my last name, except maybe if it was Hitler. I think my fam. would be insulted and it's not important enough to me to offend my fam. over. There's some funny names in my family though like Pigg, Roach, and Slaughter haha.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
What is a Shatraw? Never heard of that word or name.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:21 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I actually think Slaughter would be kind of cool!

I would definitely change my last name if it was:

Weiner (No matter how mature you are, admit it, you still snicker when someone has this name)
Hyman (I'm pretty sure he was called Buster in high school and college)
Loser (supposedly pronounced Loh-ser, but come on...)
Darlingboye (Someone in my company has this name. They're from a west African country, so I don't know if it's common there)

(these are all last names of actual people I've met)

I'd be on the fence if my last name were "Hooker." I might be able to make that one work.

The name Lipschitz always makes me throw up a little in the back of my throat. So I'd definitely change that.

I don't know what's wrong with Shatraw. Does that word mean something bad?

Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
What is a Shatraw? Never heard of that word or name.
Shat raw. My daughter met someone with that last name the other day and had to call me and tell me about it immediately. We have a running list of "horrible last names" and we keep each other abreast when we run across one.

I mean think about it. Shat raw. Ugh.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 04-14-2013 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate reference.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
I've known people with the surnames

Peed
Fuchs (in German means "Fox")
Fink
Capone (lie "Al").
Musolino (almost like "Mussolini")

100 years ago, there was a prominent U.S. Senator Hoar.

Ima Hogg was a famous socialite heiress in Houston, TX.

Some east or southeast Asian surnames can be embarrassing in English, such as Hung, or Dong. Then there is the famous Thai beach resort, Phuket, and the Japanese city Fukuoka.

In the 1960s, the French inventor of the "Bic" ballpoint pen was Mr. Biche.

Last edited by slowlane3; 04-10-2013 at 05:02 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I've known people with the surnames

Peed
Fuchs (in German means "Fox")
Fink
Capone (lie "Al").
Musolino (almost like "Mussolini")

100 years ago, there was a prominent U.S. Senator Hoar.

Ima Hogg was a famous socialite heiress in Houston, TX.

Some east or southeast Asian surnames can be embarrassing in English, such as Hung, or Dong. Then there is the famous Thai beach resort, Phuket, and the Japanese city Fukuoka.

In the 1960s, the French inventor of the "Bic" ballpoint pen was Mr. Biche.
Names can be so funny!

I actually know a girl named (real name, not nickname) Candy Barr. She's a grown woman, I don't know why she keeps that name - apparently she likes it. But AUGH!

I grew up with a pretty hard to pronounce last name (German). Actually, it's not hard to pronounce but people warp it up all the time - they're unsure of themselves when they say it.

Now I'm married, and I have what I THOUGHT would be a very normal, easy to say name. WRONG. People NEARLY ALWAYS mispronounce it. They misspell it, even though it is the name of a well known, easy to pronounce European country - two syllables. I actually had a woman in a doctors office argue with me the other day about what my own name is!

She called me up to the desk - and mispronounced my name. I corrected her - largely because I wanted to also be sure they had it SPELLED right. She corrected ME back. I said, "No. I know my own last name. This is how you say it - and spell it." She ACTUALLY said to me, "But right here it's spelled _______." I could not BELIEVE I was even having this conversation with her! At that point I got a little snippety. I said, "Let me ask you something. Do you know how to say and spell your own last name?" She gave me this blank look, and was obstinately silent. I said, "Right. I know my own last name. Correct the spelling and pronounce it correctly from here on out."

Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
I have an ancestor whose last name was Pigman. She married quite young; I wonder if it was to hurry up and get out from under that moniker.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 PM

80 posts, read 218,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
I have an ancestor whose last name was Pigman. She married quite young; I wonder if it was to hurry up and get out from under that moniker.
haha. I had an ancestor named Mourning Pigg....I kid you not.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,683 times
My husband went to school with a boy named Peter Eder (pronunced "eater") . I've read some old newspaper articles for this area and I think that was his grandfather's name, but still! You can't do anything about the last name, but I think I would have chosen Peter for a middle name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy