U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 02:11 PM

10,589 posts, read 10,315,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple rage View Post
Yes but this doesn't explain why the West Africans are mixed...why don't they have lighter skin, eyes and straighter hair like the East Africans??
Probably because those that came into the area came from the east. If you were say on the west coast of Africa there is the Atlantic Ocean and there can be no migration over water other than by boat. I would have to have a look at East Africa on the map and see what corresponding nations were there...Places that could be walked from.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:26 PM

280 posts, read 560,424 times
Europeans possess a variety of physical features as do Asians.

Why is it, thus, hard to believe that Africans wouldn't be a monolith as well?

Old 04-13-2013, 03:01 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,788,674 times
West Africans were pretty much isolated from the rest of the world until the Europeans came. East Africans on the other hand were involved heavily with the middle east and India. Hence why Islam is more prominent in east African countries. There was alot of mixing between the Arabs and the African much like in american between the Africans, Indians, and Europeans. In West Africa people mostly kept to themselves and retained their West African looks winch is associated with Black People today, and there is nothing wrong with that, and I don't see why someone would want to change themselves to be something they are not.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:04 PM

247 posts, read 265,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
West Africans were pretty much isolated from the rest of the world until the Europeans came. East Africans on the other hand were involved heavily with the middle east and India. Hence why Islam is more prominent in east African countries. There was alot of mixing between the Arabs and the African much like in american between the Africans, Indians, and Europeans. In West Africa people mostly kept to themselves and retained their West African looks winch is associated with Black People today, and there is nothing wrong with that, and I don't see why someone would want to change themselves to be something they are not.
The stereotypes associated with the West African look are horrid and its a burden that I gladly want to escape. Look at the horrible things that are said about Michelle Obama. In the black community, black women who look more West African are not respected at all, are made to feel like outcasts or are expected to portray this 'tough chick' role. lately I have been lightening my skin and I straighten my hair which is helping but I also plan on getting surgery so I can escape this burden

Old 04-13-2013, 03:10 PM

Nigeria, Africa's most populous country, is located in the West; during the transatlantic slave era, roughly a quarter of all slaves sent to the Americas came from the region.

Nigeria has a substantial Muslim population, and Islam/Arabic culture has had a strong prescence there for centuries.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
The stereotypes associated with the West African look are horrid and its a burden that I gladly want to escape. Look at the horrible things that are said about Michelle Obama. In the black community, black women who look more West African are not respected at all, are made to feel like outcasts or are expected to portray this 'tough chick' role. lately I have been lightening my skin and I straighten my hair which is helping but I also plan on getting surgery so I can escape this burden

Please tell me that you're not serious.

You shouldn't change yourself in any way (physically, psychologically, profesionally) due to societal stereotypes. If you do alter yourself in any way, do it because that's what you truly want deep within your heart.

Above all, keep your head up and a smile on your face.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:18 PM

247 posts, read 265,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
Please tell me that you're not serious.

You shouldn't change yourself in any way (physically, psychologically, profesionally) due to societal stereotypes. If you do alter yourself in any way, do it because that's what you truly want deep within your heart.

Above all, keep your head up and a smile on your face.

Keeping my head up and smiling is not going to make racist stereotypes go away. I have plans on further altering my appearance with plastic surgery so I can be released from the burden that the West African look carries. I don't want people applying stereotypes to me that don't really suit who I truly am on the inside.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:43 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,885,607 times
Quote:
Keeping my head up and smiling is not going to make racist stereotypes go away. I have plans on further altering my appearance with plastic surgery so I can be released from the burden that the West African look carries. I don't want people applying stereotypes to me that don't really suit who I truly am on the inside.
Until you brought it up, I didn't know that the western "look" was different from the eastern. I doubt that many people do. It's your preception of yourself that is fouling things up. Getting yourself altered by surgery isn't going to help.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:44 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,046,755 times
Quote:
Please stop running around in circles. If you can't answer my question hopefully someone else can
I'm not running around in circles your basic premiss is false, and none offense intended, based upon ignorance of basic biological adaptation, genetics and the history of human migration.

First in Ethiopia alone there are 10 major ethic groups that define your phenotypical characterizations of lighter skin, straighter hair etc. Second your question assumes that even those who display, I assume, non-African features were mixed with semitic or proto-europeans as oppose to being themselves proto semitic and thus proto-Europeans as the genetic evidence of the Out of Africa Theory would attest.

Trying to attach external characteristics as some basis for "racial" classification will leave you confused and no smarter for the effort unless you understand how environmental adaptation has affected the physical characteristics of different genetically isolated groups of modern humans. I tried making this point to you on your other thread challenging folks to pick the background of two different dark complected women.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:52 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,205,914 times
I think you mean the horn of Africa no? Those are the only East Africans I know with straight hair and light eyes.
Kenyans look very similiar to West africans to me. So do the Sudanese.

Also,have you heard of the Somali Bantu? They were people taken from Tanzania and bought as slaves to Somalia sometime in the 1800's.
Its not just east vs west. You are forgetting that Central Africans look different from West Africans,who look different from South Aficans and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or