U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:14 PM

397 posts, read 728,411 times

Advertisements

The biggest Ethiopian languages are in the same family as Arabic and Hebrew, and presumably there has been a lot of contact and/or migrations with neighboring areas of Asia like the Arabian peninsula. There are no Caucasian (inhabited) areas that are that close to West Africa so it would be harder to happen there.

An interesting fact though, there was a period of a few thousand years when what is now the Sahara desert wasn't a desert but rather a savanna like you see nowadays in Kenya and so on. So contact with peoples with the north could easily have happened then. And it's entirely possible that the West Africans of today are a mix of Caucasian and some other ethnicity or ethnicities that no longer separately exist today. The same might be true of any group really.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 PM

18,794 posts, read 13,579,606 times
East Africa has links to the mid-east and Europe going back several thousand years. Read your Bible, there is a guy in there named Barack. As a distance running fan, I often notice other old Biblical names popping up among E. Afrrican distance runners, such as Shadrack

Shadrack Kosgei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

West Africa was isolated until the Portuguese established sugar plantations on Madeira (island off the west coast) around 1419.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:13 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,896,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple rage View Post
The stereotypes associated with the West African look are horrid and its a burden that I gladly want to escape. Look at the horrible things that are said about Michelle Obama. In the black community, black women who look more West African are not respected at all, are made to feel like outcasts or are expected to portray this 'tough chick' role. lately I have been lightening my skin and I straighten my hair which is helping but I also plan on getting surgery so I can escape this burden
Hi Nyanna. You still on this color thing?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:11 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,075,396 times
According to 2013 DNA studies, there are two distinct DNA groups in Africa with a common ancestor.
Group 1-African
Group 2- non-African.

These groups are not linked brother-to-brother, but rather father-to-son, or uncle to nephew. One cannot draw conclusions based on number placement in a list. The second group, the non-African group came later. It could well be this group descended from Group 1, went away, and returned. Exactly how the groups are related is not actually known. Neither DNA of Group 1 or Group 2, at this point in time, appears to be genetically linked to the Western European (Finnish, Dutch, Swiss, UK, etc..). DNA proves Groups 1 and 2 have a similar, but not identical DNA that is of Africa, and a common male ancestor who existed 160,000-180,000 ybp.

The point is, your ancestor who was born 160.000 years ago probably looked much different than you do today simply because man changed as life conditions improved and man lived longer. .

Last edited by linicx; 04-13-2013 at 09:21 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 03:23 PM

89 posts, read 114,271 times
Everyone has the same common ancestor who existed 160,000 years ago.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:36 PM

289 posts, read 856,736 times
As someone mentioned historically that part East Africa was more involved in trade with the Middle East. And the Italians controlled much of the area during the colonial period. As happened elsewhere whites and blacks mixed. And I'm surprised no one mentioned that environment plays a huge part in physical characteristics. Broad noses, large lips, dark skin all help deal with a very hot, humid equatorial climate. That's true in Asia and South America too. Once read that if you put a large white population in isolation in Equatorial lowlands they would morph into a dark people with broad, flat noses and larger lips in about 10,000 years. Might not look exactly like black people or Amazonians, but they would no longer look like Germans or Swedes either.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:26 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,051,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
As someone mentioned historically that part East Africa was more involved in trade with the Middle East.
Genomics and African queens: Diversity within Ethiopian genomes reveals imprints of historical events

Old 04-14-2013, 05:37 PM

289 posts, read 856,736 times
Very interesting. Still, highly likely there was considerable mixing during the Colonial times too. Just as there are mixed race Africans in South Africa, and certainly light complected blacks in the U.S. and elsewhere. Frankly I wish the whole world would mix and we could move beyond race issues.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 PM

89 posts, read 114,271 times
There was little mixing during colonial times. The only part of ethiopia that ever saw any Italians is Eritria. In those days even te Italians had conciderable difficulty even with planes and armor getting very far inland.. Its a tough neigborood, even today.
Ethiopia was never colonized.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:04 PM

363 posts, read 543,688 times
I've encountered alot of somalians, if Somalians are mixed then why are they so black? Most Somalians are darker than Michael Jordan.

Why would a WEst African have light skin when West Africa is so hot. Without knowing where in Africa you come from the guessing game is useless because all West Africans come from east africa. I can't remember the exact year but a few thousand years ago there were NO PEOPLE in West Africa and half the people in East Africa today are from West Africans because West Africans moved East to avoid the slave trade. From my limited studies of African history I know that there were several berber kingdoms in the sahara and the moors in west africa so if anything west africans are mixed with arab. Maybe that is why you are all so dark. Ever seen a yemeni arab, blacker than an african.

Then again south africans are light skinned and they are not mixed. So maybe being dark skinned with tightly coiled hair is a specific west african trait. Like not all white have blue eyes and blonde hair like me, but that doesn't mean if you have brown hair you are mixed with blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or