U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:49 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,224,208 times

Advertisements

I look up a lot of my cousins anyway. I like looking at the census and looking up death records even if they aren't closely related.

I'm not sure if it has really helped in my search, but I found out some of my classmates were my distant cousins. Some of my cousins married into the families of other cousins. It can get confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 12:34 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,075,396 times
Since I had no first cousins, I spent years working on my parents aunts and uncles. In one family I managed to get back to ca 1550. I wanted to know how these families connected. Were they neighbors, church members, soldier connections? Did they sail on the sane ship? How did they connect? Many times it was who the parents knew.

The oddest story started 60-70 years ago or even earlier. My father received a RW document made by Paul Revere. After my father died I took up the quest to determine if the ancestor in question was raised in Masonic Lodge by the famed silversmith. I contacted the original lodge in Boston. In the process of doing this I learned my father's beloved g.g.grandfather, for whom he was named, was not even related. He and his wife married late in life. They had no issue; they did not adopt. His bachelor brother did not marry either.

This was not the end of the story. I was able to connect the dots to the CW father and replace the broken branch of his tree with the full history of this from when his parents were married and the siblings were born until his death and the death of this siblings. It was a 10 year journey that ended well for the Hobart family.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:23 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,094 posts, read 22,780,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Yes - originally out of frustration :+] I can't get past 1 GGgrandfather as I mentioned on another thread. But they lived in a comparatively small place. Seeing who other family members married, their lines, where they lived, went to church, were buried didn't solve my GGGF - but led to a real understanding of when/how/where they lived. I do it for pretty much everyone now - usually 'quick & dirty' to get a feel for the larger family, more detail if it proves productive.

Originally I did it for the lack of records. Later people contacted me to help expand on some lines where it connected to them. [in one case 2 separate family researchers were connected through one lateral line I was doing - they were sure they were researching separate families till it was undeniable their G-grandfather had 2 families.] Ultimately this expanded research & the knowledge gained of a time and place led to some really interesting & broader projects.

Was he a bigamist or did he remarry?

Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Since I had no first cousins, I spent years working on my parents aunts and uncles. In one family I managed to get back to ca 1550. I wanted to know how these families connected. Were they neighbors, church members, soldier connections? Did they sail on the sane ship? How did they connect? Many times it was who the parents knew.

The oddest story started 60-70 years ago or even earlier. My father received a RW document made by Paul Revere. After my father died I took up the quest to determine if the ancestor in question was raised in Masonic Lodge by the famed silversmith. I contacted the original lodge in Boston. In the process of doing this I learned my father's beloved g.g.grandfather, for whom he was named, was not even related. He and his wife married late in life. They had no issue; they did not adopt. His bachelor brother did not marry either.

This was not the end of the story. I was able to connect the dots to the CW father and replace the broken branch of his tree with the full history of this from when his parents were married and the siblings were born until his death and the death of this siblings. It was a 10 year journey that ended well for the Hobart family.
That is cool!

Old 04-23-2013, 03:19 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,658,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Was he a bigamist or did he remarry?
He just had another family over the hill - - kids overlapped. Seems the 1st generation knew about it & each other, as the legitimate family helped out the other to some degree. Next generation moved on and away and forgot the whole thing happened....

Old 04-23-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
He just had another family over the hill - - kids overlapped. Seems the 1st generation knew about it & each other, as the legitimate family helped out the other to some degree. Next generation moved on and away and forgot the whole thing happened....
Awesome.

Some men have multiple families and it's just the larger window of opportunity, fertility and time-wise, that males enjoy.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,658,278 times
True - my grandmother was #17 of 18 kids. Her father married 3 times, and was 73 when she was born. This was repeated [not the number of kids!] with both my grandmother & father, who was born when she was in her 40's, having 2 families over large spans of time. 20yrs a generation in my father's family was not the norm, at least not for the youngest of the generations - my grandmother was 50 years years younger than her eldest sibling. My father's first children were close in age to my mother.

Genealogy for me is just a hop skip and jump back to the 1700's in generations, but LOTS of lateral lines!

Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,002,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I keep researching lateral lines hoping I will stumble across distant cousins who know more than I do.
Ditto.

You never know - documentation or information is sometimes saved by unrelated or very distantly related people for the oddest reasons. Sometimes folks who marry into a family, or a step-child relation will preserve family history because no one in the blood-related family is interested. Sometimes a distant-distant cousin turns out to be a genealogist who offers up information that will crack a brick wall. And, while some people will only research up to a certain degree of affinity, if the records exist to connect me to a person - related by blood or not, I'll keep digging. It's something I enjoy doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or