U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:58 AM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Even if you just used Ancestry, they do have places for notes, stories, comments. I feel the same way, that we are responsible for saving all of it and if we don't do it, then it will be lost.

I don't think it's at all silly for you to do this. Think of yourself as a family historian. There are people with PhDs in history and you're in the same category only you're not getting paid or getting the acknowledgement. I think someone on here said that if you put it on Ancestry, it will always be there. That way, if someone related to you, even distantly, ever wanted to know more, your stories would be there for them.

Whatever venue you choose, I think you should do it.
I see it exactly like this. Over the past year I've copiled a lot of information about both sides of my family, details that might never be unearthed again. If I put the stories on a website such as Ancestry, well, then, who knows who might find them in the future. In that way, I would have given them some sort of inmortality. Of course I would add my personal spin to those I knew. I have no extended family to pass my photos, stories, etc to, so, instead I will pass them on the the Internet Looks like have some work to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 10:01 AM

8,234 posts, read 9,100,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Has anyone thought to write a book about themselves and family? Ok, I don't mean a fictionalized best-seller lol- just a private printing book about themselves and family.

In the process of doing my genealogy, I've come across many little fun facts that will probably be lost over time. I've been keeping a notebook of sorts and thinking of putting it in some sort of book form, along with photos, etc. Its amazing how much trivia we can collect while deep diving for our roots! Ummm....is it a form of self-indulgence? We all have/had lives, who cares? But now that I've gathered so much data, I'd hate to see it just disperse again. My interest in geneaology started when I simply wanted to find my grand-aunt's married name, and found enough stuff to write a book about here alone!

So, does it sound like something a crazy old lady would do in her lonely hours? Or is it an acceptable hobby? Anyone else do something similar? Comments?
I think most of us, who are into family history, have thought about writing a book. I have. I wrote the first chapter of 'my book' in a creative writing class but that's as far as it went. That one would have been fiction based on fact. I have oodles of time to work on a project like that but when I really think about it it feels like an overwhelming task. BUT I know so MUCH that I really need to get it written, if just for my own pleasure.

My family is included in two other books, written by 'cousins'. I contributed to those but not to the extent I could with my own book.

My granddad is responsible for my interest in genealogy. When I was a kid I followed him everywhere and he talked a lot about his family, where they were from and how they lived. My aunt gave me a one page synopsis of family info, written by one of granddad's cousins, and that's all I had to begin with. Now it takes an entire car trunk to haul it all anywhere! When I'm gone it will all be donated to the local LDS library because my kids couldn't care less about it.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:23 PM

17,996 posts, read 17,150,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I think most of us, who are into family history, have thought about writing a book. I have. I wrote the first chapter of 'my book' in a creative writing class but that's as far as it went. That one would have been fiction based on fact. I have oodles of time to work on a project like that but when I really think about it it feels like an overwhelming task. BUT I know so MUCH that I really need to get it written, if just for my own pleasure.

My family is included in two other books, written by 'cousins'. I contributed to those but not to the extent I could with my own book.

My granddad is responsible for my interest in genealogy. When I was a kid I followed him everywhere and he talked a lot about his family, where they were from and how they lived. My aunt gave me a one page synopsis of family info, written by one of granddad's cousins, and that's all I had to begin with. Now it takes an entire car trunk to haul it all anywhere! When I'm gone it will all be donated to the local LDS library because my kids couldn't care less about it.
I hope you do get pleasure out of it. I don't think I could do the book thing but I do have a lot of information that is now on Ancestry and if I get much more, I'll get/pay them to print it out.

Funny how we get interested. You had a grand dad who talked about it. I had--one grandfather I never even knew and one grandfather whose life had been so sad that he never uttered a word about it. We were forbidden to even ask. When you are given orders to never ask, well.....that makes you ASK. lol. Knowing what I know now, if I admired him before, I admire him even more now for what he went through and how he managed to still be full of fun and love.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 PM

8,221 posts, read 12,809,728 times
If you do plan on doing some writing, check out Literature and Latte - Scrivener Writing Software | Mac OS X | Windows

Old 05-11-2013, 04:02 AM

82 posts, read 82,538 times
That is such a good idea!. If done correctly the book could simply be passed down throughout the generations as a pose to another poor soul having to do the research, in time the preceding generation could just make the needed additions(more generations). Good thought.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:56 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,262,662 times
I've seen a fancy "book about myself" sort of fill-in thing for sale and considered purchasing it. It was about $75 and large, I believe leather bound. I am romantic about books (with paper) and it seemed like a fun thing to do.

My kids are kind of whatever about family history stuff at this point but so was I when I was their age. Unfortunately I didn't start to really get into it until my Grandmother was nearing the end of her life and living with dementia. She would have been such a great resource if I'd just thought to ask earlier.

I still want to keep good records for later on. Not just dates, birthdates, but any stories and photos and things because for me that is the best part of researching family history (the stories!).

Now, on this same note I know of two different ancestors who compiled stories, family histories with anecdotes and so forth. One of these ancestors was also a writer and wrote other things. I do not have copies of either of these collections, I have just heard about them/read about them from distant cousins online and I am really wanting to get copies, but haven't been able to get in touch with the people who have possession of them and it's frustrating me!

I do have a copy of a short autobiography written by my GG Grandfather. I remember having it in the house when I was a little kid, and I actually took it to school with me for show & tell because in school we were discussing Mark Twain and my GG Grandfather details in his story how he worked on a steamboat piloted by Mark Twain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy