U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 04:55 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,751,187 times

Advertisements

Is this normal? I have done a little research in our family history and found that several branches of the family reused the same names. An example: Clarence Ollie S. was born on a farm in the early 1900's (no birth cert...just a notation in a bible), he died 2 years later. One year after that, Clarence Ollie S. was born only to pass a few days later. Three years later, Clarence Ollie S. was born - his mother died in childbirth. He was "given" to the reverend and his wife (they were childless) on the neighboring farm (his father had 6 other children and couldn't raise a newborn) - his last name was changed, but the birth records in that same family bible don't say anything about the name change. One year later, his father remarried and his new wife gave birth to a boy...who was named?! You guessed it... Clarence Ollie S. (the reverend refused to give back the baby they "adopted" as he was a couple years old at this point).

All of this caused HUGE confusion for me when researching family history. For future reference...was it typical to keep naming babies the same name until one survived beyond the next child? Has anyone come across this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 07:03 PM
bjh

26,094 posts, read 22,780,245 times
Re-using names can be very common in a family, especially from generation to generation. Re-using names because of deceased children is less common, but also found. Unfortunately, infant and child mortality was much higher. So if the family really wanted to honor a particular ancestor, then yes, they might re-use the name until it was given to a child who survived.

True, it can be confusing, but the other side of the coin is that sometimes it can really help in tracing a family by telling you which family with the same last name is yours.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 PM

7,841 posts, read 6,919,156 times
What bjh said. My family on my father's sides runs to Johns and Josephs and Carolines. My mother's side tends towards Johns and Marys.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,288,199 times
On my mom's side of the family, the females who are not Anne or Ann have Anne or Ann as their middle names. My grandmother had two daughters named Maria; the first died at birth, the second came along six years later, with a few other kids in between.

One great-grandfather was Joseph; the other was John. My grandfather was Francis Joseph. My uncle is Francis John, my father is John Joseph.

Thankfully, no one in my father's generation had sons.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:38 PM

5,383 posts, read 3,868,242 times
My mother told me one time that in her family your first or middle name had to be after a relative or a saint (they were Catholic).
In my parents generation kids middle names seemed to be in honor of relatives, mainly the grandparents. Or if a boy, the middle name was the fathers name. So I have my grandmothers first name for my middle name. My brother has our fathers first name as his middle name. And another brother has an uncles first name as his middle name.
I had a grandfather named Matthew, there are tons of cousins in my family who named their sons Matthew and some made that name a middle name too.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:40 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Sometimes when you see two children of the same name in a family, that can be a red flag for bad genealogy. I've seen this in situations where some unscrupulous family historian has tried linking an ancestor to a noteworthy person with the same last name.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:18 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
My mother told me one time that in her family your first or middle name had to be after a relative or a saint (they were Catholic).
In my parents generation kids middle names seemed to be in honor of relatives, mainly the grandparents. Or if a boy, the middle name was the fathers name. So I have my grandmothers first name for my middle name. My brother has our fathers first name as his middle name. And another brother has an uncles first name as his middle name.
I had a grandfather named Matthew, there are tons of cousins in my family who named their sons Matthew and some made that name a middle name too.
Catholic tradition had been to give the child just one name.

Then the child chose the name of a saint for their middle name when they were a teenager and underwent confirmation - the coming of age ceremony.

Last edited by bjh; 05-11-2013 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-11-2013, 01:45 PM

2,291 posts, read 4,749,944 times
Lots of Williams on both sides of my family. The men had this real thing about carrying on their name...it was all about their ego.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:52 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Lots of Williams on both sides of my family. The men had this real thing about carrying on their name...it was all about their ego.
In the past there seems to have been a strong trend to name the eldest son after the father. My dad and both grandfathers imposed this on their oldest male children. Also three of my four great grandfathers did the same. I think it's a tradition that's worth letting go. Some have mentioned using middle names of ancestors. I think that's much better and then give the child a first name of his or her own.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:12 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
In the past there seems to have been a strong trend to name the eldest son after the father. My dad and both grandfathers imposed this on their oldest male children. Also three of my four great grandfathers did the same. I think it's a tradition that's worth letting go. Some have mentioned using middle names of ancestors. I think that's much better and then give the child a first name of his or her own.
I have to disagree. Based on my family history it appears to have been a 20th century phenomenon. I can't think of a single instance before then when a father and eldest son had the same name. Granted my ancestry back then is mainly English protestant. I have one line where they son was given the same name as the paternal grandfather, thus alternating between William and John back over a couple hundred years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy