U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 AM

17,994 posts, read 17,150,498 times

Advertisements

Recently I uploaded some family photos. Now when I go to look at them, I get one of those green leaves as a hint, I clicked on it and there are my photos. They say Added by emd1174. They have named my photos and one of them they named wrong.

I don't know who emd1174 is and I don't know how to find out! I would like to contact them and have them correct the information. If not, then this is going to be spread all over their site and it is wrong information. Not a big deal to most people but when it's your own parents or grandparents, it IS a big deal.

All I could do was to leave a comment saying that the name of the photo is incorrect and I added the correct information. But that photo, along with its incorrect caption, is going to get added (it has already been added once, I see) to other trees. Any help? Who added this and how can I fix it?

Old 05-13-2013, 03:05 AM

8,220 posts, read 12,809,728 times
Is your tree public? If so, anyone can attach the photos you add to your tree to their own. And once they do that, even if you remove the photos from your own tree or make it private, the photos will remain on their tree. This is why a lot of people make their tree private.

You can't fix errors on other people's tree aside from contacting them and letting them know but whether they do so or not is up to them. You should be able to click on their username and select "Contact" to send them a private message. If there is no "contact" option, they may have disabled it, in which case all you can do is what you've already done, leave a comment on the photo. This may actually be the better option anyway since people will be able to see it even if the tree owner doesn't fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 06:59 AM

17,994 posts, read 17,150,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Is your tree public? If so, anyone can attach the photos you add to your tree to their own. And once they do that, even if you remove the photos from your own tree or make it private, the photos will remain on their tree. This is why a lot of people make their tree private.

You can't fix errors on other people's tree aside from contacting them and letting them know but whether they do so or not is up to them. You should be able to click on their username and select "Contact" to send them a private message. If there is no "contact" option, they may have disabled it, in which case all you can do is what you've already done, leave a comment on the photo. This may actually be the better option anyway since people will be able to see it even if the tree owner doesn't fix it.
Oh good. My comment will go with the picture even when someone else attaches it. Yes, tree is public and I like sharing my information. Since you are from the UK, I want to say that I started family history on Yorkshire and those Yorkshire people taught me everything I know--and found my gt grandfather to get me started. You may be from Lancs but that's all right too.

I'll have to see who that person is and try to contact them because it bothers me. I was so upset when I first saw it last night that I began furiously fumbling around and never did figure out what to do. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy