U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2013, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
18,852 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Reputation: 24300

Advertisements

I've often thought I'd like to have my DNA tested, but have heard that the tests aren't reliable or even informative. Have any of you done this? Would you share you experience? Was it worth the expense to you? Can you recommend a company that does this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Little Rock AR USA
2,457 posts, read 6,088,918 times
Reputation: 1863
I have done two; National Geographic (Genographic) and 23andMe. I was satisfied with both, but it depends on what you want them to do. Genographic shows the migration route of your DNA, not your family, which is interesting but nothing special. 23&Me shows you where in the world your family came from and the percentages of each area. They will also send you a list of cousins (usually 4th to 6th) who you may contact. There are also several surveys you may take to show you what your chances are (statically) of acquiring certain diseases. But, tryng to prove you are kin to a certain person, that's another process altogether. To me, these two were worth the money, but gave me no special insight the pure genealogy process. I'm sure though that others will later reply and disagree with me.

So I guess the bottom line is to decide what results you would like to find, then check out the many that are available and then decide if it is worth the money. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 06:55 PM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
4,748 posts, read 7,495,900 times
Reputation: 6347
I used FTDNA Family Tree DNA - Genetic Genealogy Starts Here mainly to confirm that my male line (Y-DNA) did truly descend from the family name. Go to sites like FTDNA or 23and Me and read up on their tutorial info to understand what the various specific tests do, or don't, show you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 PM
bjh
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
26,094 posts, read 22,780,245 times
Reputation: 119716
I did 23andMe and have been happy with the results. The links to cousins and sharing information with them helped to finally push back a long standing brick wall! I had been knocking my head on that wall for over 20years!! Possibly there would have been no other way to learn the answers.

I would add, take the health profiles with a grain of salt. Even if it says you're at higher risk for a disease, that doesn't mean you'll get it. Also, it may be possible to do the testing with genealogy only and no health risks. Do it that way if you prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Southern California
394 posts, read 1,296,052 times
Reputation: 503
I've taken both NatGeo Geno tests, AncestryDNA, 23andMe and ftDNA and had my results processed by Dr. McDonald and DNATribes, so I guess you could say I'm addicted to it *LOL* And they've all come out with very similar results. They might vary by a few percentages, but they're all spot on, and they coincide with the genealogical research I've done, so yes, I'd say they're accurate. Each test has slightly different populations that they test you against, some with more detail than others, and the 23andMe also has some health information.

I've found, or been found by, several cousins of varying degrees through the different tests, most recently last week by a second cousin twice removed, who found me through AncestryDNA.

The NatGeo Geno 2.0 test can even tell you if you have Neanderthal or Denisovan heredity, if that's interesting to you.

I've had the best luck in finding people with 23andMe and AncestryDNA, so I'd recommend starting with one of those, and you don't need to have a subscription with Ancestry.com to take the DNA test.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2013, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
18,852 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Reputation: 24300
OK. I don't do genealogy, but I see how genealogists would use the tests. I honestly hadn't thought about that aspect. I would simply like to know what peoples my ancestors were made up of. I wouldn't mind seeing the migration data either.

I just find it so interesting. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,936 posts, read 6,990,802 times
Reputation: 3487
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I've often thought I'd like to have my DNA tested, but have heard that the tests aren't reliable or even informative. Have any of you done this? Would you share you experience? Was it worth the expense to you? Can you recommend a company that does this?

Thanks!
I've had 4 DNA tests, with 3 different group. 2 with National Geographic Human Genome project; 1 with ftDNA and the fourth with 23andme. I believe it's been a worthwhile exercise, well worth the expense. I've most enjoyed and learned from the 23andme test results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2013, 04:47 PM
 
5,106 posts, read 6,062,113 times
Reputation: 9677
Gender makes a difference.

If you are a female, none of them will tell you much about where your ancestors migrated and derived. mtDNA goes so far back with little change that it can tell you where your haplogroup came out of Africa 20,0000 years ago for example.

If you are a male, then you YDNA can give you the information you seek.

My Mom was nice enough to do the mtDNA and she is haplogroup Tara agrarian types. I bought the upgrade and did Family Finder and got one 4th cousin's info from it. This if FTDNA. My male cousin was kind enough to do his Y-DNA with FTDNA and we learned a lot about our male haplogroup R1b1a and kicked over some brick walls.

I did 23 and me and found lots of genome and chromosome information. ethnic group, migration, etc. Had a lot of matches with 3-5th cousins. Someone who cares, can read the results, and is willing can probably use this service well.

either way, wish you well

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
OK. I don't do genealogy, but I see how genealogists would use the tests. I honestly hadn't thought about that aspect. I would simply like to know what peoples my ancestors were made up of. I wouldn't mind seeing the migration data either.

I just find it so interesting. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 PM
bjh
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
26,094 posts, read 22,780,245 times
Reputation: 119716
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
...
The NatGeo Geno 2.0 test can even tell you if you have Neanderthal or Denisovan heredity, if that's interesting to you....
23 and Me tells the % of Neanderthal, but not Denisovan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2013, 07:47 PM
bjh
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
26,094 posts, read 22,780,245 times
Reputation: 119716
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Gender makes a difference.

If you are a female, none of them will tell you much about where your ancestors migrated and derived. mtDNA goes so far back with little change that it can tell you where your haplogroup came out of Africa 20,0000 years ago for example.

If you are a male, then you YDNA can give you the information you seek.

My Mom was nice enough to do the mtDNA and she is haplogroup Tara agrarian types. I bought the upgrade and did Family Finder and got one 4th cousin's info from it. This if FTDNA. My male cousin was kind enough to do his Y-DNA with FTDNA and we learned a lot about our male haplogroup R1b1a and kicked over some brick walls.

I did 23 and me and found lots of genome and chromosome information. ethnic group, migration, etc. Had a lot of matches with 3-5th cousins. Someone who cares, can read the results, and is willing can probably use this service well.

either way, wish you well
The bolded sentenced is very misleading. I manage the accounts for relatives, have seen both male and female profiles. The only major difference for a female on 23andMe is the Y chromosome, which can be resolved by testing an appropriate male relative. Even without the Y it is still packed with lots of information.

Haplogroups for both X and Y show remote or deep ancestry. Percentages of nationalities and links to cousins show more recent ancestry for males or females.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top