U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 04:58 PM
bjh

26,043 posts, read 22,775,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I think it got mixed in with intermarriage which from what I've read was common. What I find interesting is the oldest appearance of the root surname is just into the establishment of the danelaw. I found this map of family surname distribution at the time and the only place it occured in the British Isles was within the danelaw and coastal areas of Scotland. Place a map of the Danelaw over it and it matches. This is very intreging to me.

Of course, when the Normans came, who were actually the descendents of Vikings and I think Carovinginans who lived along the French coast, all below them were equally unimportant and perhaps then the mixing of heritages increased.

Not a single Norman surname in the family.
Definitely intermarriage occurred. I'm referring to what can specifically be attributed to Scandinavian. In my DNA it's not much.

My results are from 23andMe. This is not a complete breakdown, so it doesn't equal 100%. In part I have:
61% specifically British and Irish, which they cobble together unfortunately
3% specifically Scandinavian, with our Danelaw and western Irish who were tall and blond I was surprised by the low number.
26% non-specific northern European, which could include British, Irish or Scandinavian. Or French or German for that fact.

They also put French and German together. Two such seemingly different groups in tastes, appearance and culture. Not dissing either, just saying.

Interesting about the surname. That may mark it is a Danish name. We have a couple of Danish surnames in the family tree. Both from Suffolk, England though so I know what you mean. How far back is the map distribution or the name origin? What century? Is there a website where others could check out their family's names?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Definitely intermarriage occurred. I'm referring to what can specifically be attributed to Scandinavian. In my DNA it's not much.

My results are from 23andMe. This is not a complete breakdown, so it doesn't equal 100%. In part I have:
61% specifically British and Irish, which they cobble together unfortunately
3% specifically Scandinavian, with our Danelaw and western Irish who were tall and blond I was surprised by the low number.
26% non-specific northern European, which could include British, Irish or Scandinavian. Or French or German for that fact.

They also put French and German together. Two such seemingly different groups in tastes, appearance and culture. Not dissing either, just saying.

Interesting about the surname. That may mark it is a Danish name. We have a couple of Danish surnames in the family tree. Both from Suffolk, England though so I know what you mean. How far back is the map distribution or the name origin? What century? Is there a website where others could check out their family's names?
I couldn't find it (firefox and its alphabetizing...grrrr) but there is one on Ancestry which appears to go back to 17something. They use census or tax data. Same pattern showed. Every family with that name was in the formely Danish held regions. There is a little town in borderline Scotland where its a common name actually founded by the Danes. As people commonly did not or could not move around then cultural patterns would have had a much older base than now.

The house was cooled off so I just started looking up these counties and found a sight with the probable origon. It is Scandanavian, an anglo scandanavian derivitive of a personal name with an anglo suffex. It's also a very ancient name. It was so much fun looking I'll have to keep looking more.

It's interesting that the english language as we speak it today is that way because of the merging of scandanavian words into the 'old English' and many 'basic' nature words have that derivation. They came as conquers and settled by the power of the sword, but left a huge mark on the place for the relatively small amount of time they held power.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:00 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,516,023 times
Not that it has anything to do with me being white...I have not had it done but I would find it interesting to have done to find out.

Growing up I had always heard from my parents what percentage of this or that they are, but I would like to find out really what percentage of this or that I was.

I wouldn't care one way or the other, but I think it would be nice to be able to tell my kids that they are xy and z from my half....

Old 06-01-2013, 07:05 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,968,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brimelow View Post
If you did, can you please share your ancestral results ? Did you come out 100 percent European ? Or did you find some minor Nonwhite ancestry in your family tree ?
I'll share mine as i had mine done by 23andMe last year.

European - 99.9%
East Asian - 0.1 % (hmm maybe from the Huns who invaded Europe during the 400's A.D.?)

Neanderthal - 3.0 %

Further breakdown.
Northern European - 94.9 %
Southern European - 1.9 % (very surprised since I can easily tan and never burn in the sun)
Non specific European - 3.1 %

Further breakdown
British & Irish - 47.7 %
French & German - 15.8 %
Scandinavian - 2.1 %
Non specific northern European - 29.2 % (curious as to who's left to fit into this category?)
Finnish - 0.0 %
Italian - 1.4 %
Non specific southern European - 0.5 %
East Asian 0.1 %

(Note: just my own research here.)
Paternally being of the R1b haplogroup I'm associated with the Celtic cultured peoples who inhabited all of western europe since about the 800's B.C. and before them most likely from the western european Bell Beaker cultured peoples since about the 2,800's B.C.

Definitely cool to have done this including their disease profile that's included with it as well.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 06-01-2013 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Editing - 6 foot 3

Old 06-01-2013, 09:43 AM
bjh

26,043 posts, read 22,775,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post
Non specific northern European - 29.2 % (curious as to who's left to fit into this category?)
It's not a matter of who's left. It's DNA that is so widespread across the region that it could be from any or all of the groups: Brit, Scan, Fren, or German.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:08 PM

5,495 posts, read 4,399,555 times
Mine are: 99.4 European

67.4 Northern Euro (9.9 Brit/Irish, 2.9 French/German, 54.6 non-specific)

7.1 Ashkenazi (Southern Euro)

1.0 Non-specific Southern Euro

<0.1 Eastern Euro

23.9 Non-specific Euro

0.2 Native American

0.1 Non-specific East Asian

0.1 Sub-Saharan African

0.3 Unassigned

Old 06-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post
I'll share mine as i had mine done by 23andMe last year.

European - 99.9%
East Asian - 0.1 % (hmm maybe from the Huns who invaded Europe during the 400's A.D.?)

Neanderthal - 3.0 %

Further breakdown.
Northern European - 94.9 %
Southern European - 1.9 % (very surprised since I can easily tan and never burn in the sun)
Non specific European - 3.1 %

Further breakdown
British & Irish - 47.7 %
French & German - 15.8 %
Scandinavian - 2.1 %
Finnish - 0.0 %
Italian - 1.4 %
Non specific southern European - 0.5 %
East Asian 0.1 %

(Note: just my own research here.)
Paternally being of the R1b haplogroup I'm associated with the Celtic cultured peoples who inhabited all of western europe since about the 800's B.C. and before them most likely from the western european Bell Beaker cultured peoples since about the 2,800's B.C.

Definitely cool to have done this including their disease profile that's included with it as well.
Maybe you are one of those that can call Gengis Kahn a long ago granddaddy

Is this 23 and Me? This looks like what I'd like to see.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:15 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,968,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Maybe you are one of those that can call Gengis Kahn a long ago granddaddy
I was thinking more along the lines of Attila since he (Huns) made it as far west as France until the Romans and Visigoths finally stopped them .

Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 AM

My SO ordered this for he and I. I am excited and apprehensive about doing it. All of my life I have known that I am 4 different things. Plain and simple.

I guess it will be neat to find out all of it but then difficult if it is something different, as both of my parents are now gone and who am I to ask about my results??

Old 06-06-2013, 01:18 PM

Did you guys who did this consent for the study or not? If you don't mind my asking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy