U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 07:29 PM

2,953 posts, read 4,507,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Did you guys who did this consent for the study or not? If you don't mind my asking
What study do you mean? It's been a while since I did it so don't remember.

I did get some minor bits of non-white ancestry, 1.4% Sub-Saharan and 1.3% Native American.

The majority of my ancestry according to the test is mostly Northern European including British and Irish, French and German, and Scandinavian, with about 9% Southern European including Iberian.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 PM
bjh

26,057 posts, read 22,775,493 times
Quote:
Did you guys who did this consent for the study or not? If you don't mind my asking
If you mean participating in the health reports or letting them used my info for health research: Yes to both.

My thought? Why not? It's anonyomous and participation has helped with medical research.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:48 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
What study do you mean? It's been a while since I did it so don't remember.

I did get some minor bits of non-white ancestry, 1.4% Sub-Saharan and 1.3% Native American.

The majority of my ancestry according to the test is mostly Northern European including British and Irish, French and German, and Scandinavian, with about 9% Southern European including Iberian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
If you mean participating in the health reports or letting them used my info for health research: Yes to both.

My thought? Why not? It's anonyomous and participation has helped with medical research.
Yes, that is what I was talking about. I am working on it now and truthfully, it is taking forever. I worked on it for hours and I got 4% done. My medical history is extensive.

That got me to worrying as I was laying in bed last night...what if I have some genetic type illness, etc.

I guess I am freaking out a little right now.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
Quote:

That got me to worrying as I was laying in bed last night...what if I have some genetic type illness, etc.

If you do, don't you want to know about it? Many genetic diseases have treatments and the sooner you start, the better.

If there is a problem, get'er taken care of instead of shoving your head down into the sand.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:12 PM
bjh

Quote:
Yes, that is what I was talking about. I am working on it now and truthfully, it is taking forever. I worked on it for hours and I got 4% done. My medical history is extensive.

I guess I am freaking out a little right now.
Don't freak. They're talking about tendencies, not certainties. So they're talking about, say less than one in 100 chance vs a less than 2 in 100 chance. That's double the normal chance, but it's still no more than 1 in 50, not 1 in 1 - not a certainty. Does that help? And as oregonwoodsmoke say, the sooner you know the better, like the saying "Forewarned is forearmed."

Anyway, one thing I did: wait for the results before doing the surveys. All of them. I started in on them and thought: wait. Let them see what they discover before I tell them what I know. Then when I got my results I knew it was because of what was in my DNA and not based on any forms I filled out.

I do trust them, actually. But later read about some people who were concerned that the ethnicities they got were those they reported which is kind of duh if you think about it. But some people wondered about that: "did I tell them what to tell me?" I guess is what they're thinking. Well, just don't tell them what you know until you get your results.

Btw it took me from March until May to finish my surveys. I worked on them a bit now and then in the evenings when I had some time and wasn't surfing CD.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:16 PM

They do not have time to customize your ethnic or health reports based on what you put in a survey. If they did, the test would be a lot more expensive.

I didn't complete any surveys before I got my results. Since I was not so interested in the health aspect of the test I didn't complete the health surveys.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,968,549 times
23andme has a feature called ''Relative Finder'' that matches your DNA to that of everyone else who is a member there (over 1 million) and so looking at mine it shows that the closest relative to me at 23andme is a 3rd to 4th cousin female as she and i share many of the same segments that put us into that relationship. That being said i have no clue as to whether she is an North American like i am or is located elsewhere in the world e.g. the British Isles where my family heritage is from. Yes you can contact them anonymously using your 23andme inbox however she hasn't contacted me nor have i to her which is currently fine however in the future if someone ever shows up as a 2nd cousin then i might send a message to him/her asking as to what country they are located at and see if they respond back as it's kind of cool to discover unknown relatives.

I wonder if Queen Elizabeth II is a member at 23andme .

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 06-09-2013 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 AM

23andMe's goal is to have a million customers but they are nowhere near that yet, maybe around 200,000.

I don't understand why you wouldn't contact someone if you were interested in knowing about them. You are not making use of the features that you paid for. Chances are that your closest relative there is North American, since the database is mostly North Americans. But some of your more distant matches may be from Britain. If you scroll through your relatives list you will find some. I have found cousins in Switzerland, Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Hungary, and Brazil.

If you go into your "Countries of Ancestry" you will see where people from different countries match you.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:53 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post
23andme has a feature called ''Relative Finder'' that matches your DNA to that of everyone else who is a member there (over 1 million) and so looking at mine it shows that the closest relative to me at 23andme is a 3rd to 4th cousin female as she and i share many of the same segments that put us into that relationship. That being said i have no clue as to whether she is an North American like i am or is located elsewhere in the world e.g. the British Isles where my family heritage is from. Yes you can contact them anonymously using your 23andme inbox however she hasn't contacted me nor have i to her which is currently fine however in the future if someone ever shows up as a 2nd cousin then i might send a message to him/her asking as to what country they are located at and see if they respond back as it's kind of cool to discover unknown relatives.

I wonder if Queen Elizabeth II is a member at 23andme .
Can I borrow one of your castles for the weekend, Cuzin Elly?

Old 06-10-2013, 04:42 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,968,549 times
Quote:
23andMe's goal is to have a million customers but they are nowhere near that yet, maybe around 200,000.
Thanks for correcting me!

Quote:

If you go into your "Countries of Ancestry" you will see where people from different countries match you.
Done that ... as it lists:

Ireland
United Kingdom
France
Spain
Portugal

All areas heavily populated by the R1b haplogroup and it's subsequent subclades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy