Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 04:04 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times

Advertisements

I am a white person but I have never had a dna test.I think my non-european ancestry would be native American and North African and Jewish, due to my Spanish heritage.Spain was occupied by the Moors of North Africa for hundreds of years.There was a lot of mixing between the different ethnic groups there.For the record, I consider myself German but I have been told I look English.I would agree.Those are just some of the things I have gleaned from my research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
My standard results on 23andMe were 99.7 % European. The speculative estimate took a daring leap of 0.3 up to 100%.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:10 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
My results were 99.5 Northern European (16% Irish and the rest anything Viking) and the rest split between subsaharan and American Indian.

I was expecting more American Indian, since my maternal grandmother was born on the reservation; but I guess being born there doesn't mean you are genetically of the clan.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Fair enough. Some peeps who browse the forum might not know that.

I once participated in a survey conducted by a woman in her 40s, average, middle-class American. (I'm American, too.) Towards the end one of the questions was: what's your ethnicity. I said mostly British.

She said, what's that.
Me: You know, Great Britain.
(She looks confused. )
Me: the United Kingdom.
She: What's that?
Me: England, Scotland, Wales and northern Ireland.
She: oh England.

She had heard of England. Though I wondered if it wasn't just a vague television version in her head.
Oh wow... I thought you were making a silly point but with people around that don't know "British", GB or UK... well, I suppose I should stop there.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My sister had it done. We were 66 percent British Isles, 27 percent Scandinavian, and 7 percent Unknown.

It's weird, because while great-greats on my father's side came from England, most of the rest came from The Netherlands. We know when they came and where they lived in Holland. We're not sure how that fits in with "British Isles" and "Scandinavian". There is one thread of family who was in New England since before the Revolution.

No clue as to what "Unknown" could be.
Where in Holland did they live? If they lived on or near the coast, they might have been Frisian, often termed "Saxon" in Brit history. Some of them came from the border area (on the west coast) between Denmark and Germany. Just a guess, maybe that's where the "Scandinavian" came from.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
My results were 99.5 Northern European (16% Irish and the rest anything Viking) and the rest split between subsaharan and American Indian.

I was expecting more American Indian, since my maternal grandmother was born on the reservation; but I guess being born there doesn't mean you are genetically of the clan.
You could try getting it done by another company. Different tests reveal different lineages.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where in Holland did they live? If they lived on or near the coast, they might have been Frisian, often termed "Saxon" in Brit history. Some of them came from the border area (on the west coast) between Denmark and Germany. Just a guess, maybe that's where the "Scandinavian" came from.
I second this. The Saxons and Frisians are close kin.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
British is more than English alone. British also includes Irish, Scottish and Welsh.
Also, especially in the area where the Danelaw ruled to the east, Scandanivian. When the Normans came they melded into the population.

I have a question about the testing. One major line *may* be of Viking origon. The rest are pretty much all Scots Irish or Scots. Who would break down the difference form the saxon/germanic and scandanivan origion? I'd have to do the form of the test which measures the combined male and female.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Also, especially in the area where the Danelaw ruled to the east, Scandanivian. When the Normans came they melded into the population.

I have a question about the testing. One major line *may* be of Viking origon. The rest are pretty much all Scots Irish or Scots. Who would break down the difference form the saxon/germanic and scandanivan origion? I'd have to do the form of the test which measures the combined male and female.
23andMe breaks out British and Scandinavian. Keep in mind these are "identifiable as" one group or another. Because in addition, I had 7-8% generically European, which could be any old group in Europe. My results had less identifiably Scandinavian than I'd anticipated because so much of my English ancestry is from the Danelaw.

Guess we stayed basically Anglo-Saxon. Go back to your own village, ye Danes!

Old 05-25-2013, 02:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
23andMe breaks out British and Scandinavian. Keep in mind these are "identifiable as" one group or another. Because in addition, I had 7-8% generically European, which could be any old group in Europe. My results had less identifiably Scandinavian than I'd anticipated because so much of my English ancestry is from the Danelaw.

Guess we stayed basically Anglo-Saxon. Go back to your own village, ye Danes!
I think it got mixed in with intermarriage which from what I've read was common. What I find interesting is the oldest appearance of the root surname is just into the establishment of the danelaw. I found this map of family surname distribution at the time and the only place it occured in the British Isles was within the danelaw and coastal areas of Scotland. Place a map of the Danelaw over it and it matches. This is very intreging to me.

Of course, when the Normans came, who were actually the descendents of Vikings and I think Carovinginans who lived along the French coast, all below them were equally unimportant and perhaps then the mixing of heritages increased.

Not a single Norman surname in the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy