Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 PM

6,900 posts, read 7,529,950 times

Advertisements

Oh, Soon2Be - Native American genetic origins in Asia is a "theory" that has been proven by DNA evidence to be true.

And the latest article on this topic in Smithsonian Magazine discussed the probability of multiple immigrations from Asia to North America over thousands and thousands of years, with 3 main periods of immigration. I always give my neighbor my old Smithsonians so I can't cite the exact issue, but it had to be within the past year.

Six years ago I went to a lecture at the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center in Great Falls, in which an elder of the Gros Ventre tribe discussed how his people's traditional beliefs align beautifully with the DNA evidence of East Asian origins of Native Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 12:52 AM

15,631 posts, read 26,120,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Oh wow... I thought you were making a silly point but with people around that don't know "British", GB or UK... well, I suppose I should stop there.
Oh -- I once had a coworker I was training on foreign collections address an envelope to London, France -- because of the school ground chant -- I see London, I see France, I see Susie's underpants.

Pretty much nothing surprises me anymore.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:14 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,202,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Oh, Soon2Be - Native American genetic origins in Asia is a "theory" that has been proven by DNA evidence to be true.

And the latest article on this topic in Smithsonian Magazine discussed the probability of multiple immigrations from Asia to North America over thousands and thousands of years, with 3 main periods of immigration. I always give my neighbor my old Smithsonians so I can't cite the exact issue, but it had to be within the past year.

Six years ago I went to a lecture at the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center in Great Falls, in which an elder of the Gros Ventre tribe discussed how his people's traditional beliefs align beautifully with the DNA evidence of East Asian origins of Native Americans.
I say that we had at least 2 groups of people that came here. One group documented their trip from Jerusalem quite well. They came here 400 years or so before Jesus was born. They ended up spliting up into 2 main groups. Their decendents are the American Indian people. Another group of people came here after the tower of Babel was destroyed. They built barge like structures and came over. They ended up getting destroyed but did leave a record. The record that was left by both groups is still available to this day. You can learn about it here: Explanation*

Old 06-14-2013, 10:27 AM

14,986 posts, read 23,767,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brimelow View Post
If you did, can you please share your ancestral results ? Did you come out 100 percent European ? Or did you find some minor Nonwhite ancestry in your family tree ?
No scientific test in existence - DNA, blood tests, etc, will determine the color of a persons skin or the color of an ancestors skin.

Last edited by Dd714; 06-14-2013 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 12:26 PM

6,900 posts, read 7,529,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I say that we had at least 2 groups of people that came here. . .
Wowza! Who knew people still believe such stuff in 2013? Fascinating!

Old 06-14-2013, 01:58 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I say that we had at least 2 groups of people that came here. One group documented their trip from Jerusalem quite well. They came here 400 years or so before Jesus was born. They ended up spliting up into 2 main groups. Their decendents are the American Indian people. Another group of people came here after the tower of Babel was destroyed. They built barge like structures and came over. They ended up getting destroyed but did leave a record. The record that was left by both groups is still available to this day. You can learn about it here: Explanation*
Mitt, is that you?

Old 06-15-2013, 09:09 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,512,374 times
Default Modern Skull vs Ancient Skull Sizes (European)

Interesting to compare in the skull sizes between us modern humans at average 1350 cc to that of the ancient paleolithic europeans at average 1550 cc as our brains have been shrinkng over the last 10,000 years and yet no one is quite certain why although there's probably a connection with the advent of agriculture that started just as the last ice age was ending at around the same time era.

Here's a photo comparison (on left side) of an adult modern human skull to that of an adult ancient european human skull (Cro Magnon) behind it as the size difference is obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
How Many White People Here Got A DNA Test With 23andMe ?-cromagnonhumanskulls3.jpg  

Old 06-15-2013, 11:45 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,166,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post
Interesting to compare in the skull sizes between us modern humans at average 1350 cc to that of the ancient paleolithic europeans at average 1550 cc as our brains have been shrinkng over the last 10,000 years and yet no one is quite certain why although there's probably a connection with the advent of agriculture that started just as the last ice age was ending at around the same time era.

Here's a photo comparison (on left side) of an adult modern human skull to that of an adult ancient european human skull (Cro Magnon) behind it as the size difference is obvious.
One major difference is our skulls are much less thick. When you lived with the elements a literally thick skull would help you survive injuries and life better. We don't need thick skulls now and ours are far less thick. The extra space allows more room for a larger brain as well.

I read a study of mummies, from the most ancient to the last generation and one thing unanticipated was the fixture of the jaw. The earliest mummified egyptions had teeth which met each other and larger back teeth. As time went on the back teeth got smaller and the overbite which is considered normal today began to develop. Just because we didn't change species doesn't mean that in smaller ways we are perfecting our bodies one generation at a time to the world around us.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:20 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,512,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
One major difference is our skulls are much less thick. When you lived with the elements a literally thick skull would help you survive injuries and life better. We don't need thick skulls now and ours are far less thick. The extra space allows more room for a larger brain as well.
Spot on and just look at for example how Neanderthals had very pronounced Supraorbital Ridges which must have evolved to protect the frontal lobe. I read this some years back on one of the anthropological blogs (Dienekes?) about how our genes for smell have been epigentically turned way down since our hunter gatherer days as it's mostly no longer needed for hunting and protection from prey and predators etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

I read a study of mummies, from the most ancient to the last generation and one thing unanticipated was the fixture of the jaw. The earliest mummified egyptions had teeth which met each other and larger back teeth. As time went on the back teeth got smaller and the overbite which is considered normal today began to develop. Just because we didn't change species doesn't mean that in smaller ways we are perfecting our bodies one generation at a time to the world around us.

Look at how powerfully thick the Neanderthal as well as the Cro Magnon Zygomatic Arches were as they must had been chewing extensively tough beef infact maybe even raw at times.

So yeah while our genes are still basically the same as earlier humans however ''epigenetically'' our genes are constantly being turned on/up and/or turned off/down throughout evolution to make the phenotype changes that we see and use in today's modern world.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:30 PM
bjh

59,746 posts, read 30,187,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post

I wonder how much of this is due to overall body size changes though. Cro-magnon were bigger than modern humans, but smaller than Neanderthals. I recently watched a documentary or two about Neanderthals on youtube. Just do a search on there, if you want to see what they offer and have the time and inclination.

Some may already know this stuff, but others might find it interesting:

-Neanderthals were much larger in part because they need bigger bodies for heat retention during the ice age.

-They never perfected hunting the way humans did of creating spears that could be thrown. They had nowhere near the intelligence to invent bows and arrows. It's thought they actually stalked right up to their prey and jabbed the animal while still holding the spear. As a result they had to be incredibly strong.

-As for their diet, it's been said they ate almost all meat, like 90% and that their digestive tracts were well capable of processing raw meat.

-Also their throats had a larynx similar to humans, and it's believed they did have speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy