U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2013, 09:42 PM
 
155 posts, read 180,684 times
Reputation: 61

Advertisements

If you did, can you please share your ancestral results ? Did you come out 100 percent European ? Or did you find some minor Nonwhite ancestry in your family tree ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2013, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brimelow View Post
If you did, can you please share your ancestral results ? Did you come out 100 percent European ? Or did you find some minor Nonwhite ancestry in your family tree ?
You're certainly one-of-a-kind Peter...

Or at least I hope so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Little Rock AR USA
2,457 posts, read 6,091,412 times
Reputation: 1863
IMO it is exceedingly unlikely anyone will be 100% European, even those whose ancestors, or the one tested, has never been out of Europe. I'm sure I will be challenged on this statement but I feel confident in it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,290 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Reputation: 60199
My sister had it done. We were 66 percent British Isles, 27 percent Scandinavian, and 7 percent Unknown.

It's weird, because while great-greats on my father's side came from England, most of the rest came from The Netherlands. We know when they came and where they lived in Holland. We're not sure how that fits in with "British Isles" and "Scandinavian". There is one thread of family who was in New England since before the Revolution.

No clue as to what "Unknown" could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Toronto
2,161 posts, read 2,253,979 times
Reputation: 1148
My mother had it done. Don't remember the percentages. A staggering percentage was British Isles (my guess would be plain English, most of my ancestors weren't an adventurous lot) and a small percentage was "unassigned". We're guessing that's the part that is Sephardic Jewish. The funny part is, my mother and a lot of her family don't "look English" because of their skin colour. You'd think they'd all look more white given we're overwhelmingly English. But much of her family have tan skin and dark hair with dark blue eyes.

I think most white people have some mix in their blood. We're not unique. Every race is probably a mutt, the question is just to what degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 05:56 PM
bjh
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
26,135 posts, read 22,790,774 times
Reputation: 119716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My sister had it done. We were 66 percent British Isles, 27 percent Scandinavian, and 7 percent Unknown.

It's weird, because while great-greats on my father's side came from England, most of the rest came from The Netherlands. We know when they came and where they lived in Holland. We're not sure how that fits in with "British Isles" and "Scandinavian". There is one thread of family who was in New England since before the Revolution.

No clue as to what "Unknown" could be.
At least some of the modern English people have ancestors who originated in Holland. That may be why your seeing genetic matches with the British Isles with a lot of Dutch ancestors. The Scandinavians otoh are known for "settling" lots of areas of Britain. Wouldn't be surprising if some of them settled in the Netherlands as well. Unknown European is a set of genes found over such a widespread area of Europe that they can't be ascribed to a specific group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 PM
bjh
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
26,135 posts, read 22,790,774 times
Reputation: 119716
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
My mother had it done. Don't remember the percentages. A staggering percentage was British Isles (my guess would be plain English, most of my ancestors weren't an adventurous lot) and a small percentage was "unassigned". We're guessing that's the part that is Sephardic Jewish. The funny part is, my mother and a lot of her family don't "look English" because of their skin colour. You'd think they'd all look more white given we're overwhelmingly English. But much of her family have tan skin and dark hair with dark blue eyes.

I think most white people have some mix in their blood. We're not unique. Every race is probably a mutt, the question is just to what degree?
British is more than English alone. British also includes Irish, Scottish and Welsh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 PM
 
Location: 5,400 feet
2,203 posts, read 2,273,568 times
Reputation: 2856
I'm not white, I'm sort of a light tan. So, I guess I can't respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2013, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Toronto
2,161 posts, read 2,253,979 times
Reputation: 1148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
British is more than English alone. British also includes Irish, Scottish and Welsh.
Yep, I know. I was born in England and lived there well into my teens as a little while as an adult, I'm well aware of other ethnicity's within the British Isles. I conclude English based on my genealogy. My family proved to be one of the easier ones to track. Most didn't move much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 AM
bjh
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
26,135 posts, read 22,790,774 times
Reputation: 119716
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Yep, I know. I was born in England and lived there well into my teens as a little while as an adult, I'm well aware of other ethnicity's within the British Isles. I conclude English based on my genealogy. My family proved to be one of the easier ones to track. Most didn't move much.
Fair enough. Some peeps who browse the forum might not know that.

I once participated in a survey conducted by a woman in her 40s, average, middle-class American. (I'm American, too.) Towards the end one of the questions was: what's your ethnicity. I said mostly British.

She said, what's that.
Me: You know, Great Britain.
(She looks confused. )
Me: the United Kingdom.
She: What's that?
Me: England, Scotland, Wales and northern Ireland.
She: oh England.

She had heard of England. Though I wondered if it wasn't just a vague television version in her head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top