U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:42 PM

155 posts, read 180,684 times

Advertisements

If you did, can you please share your ancestral results ? Did you come out 100 percent European ? Or did you find some minor Nonwhite ancestry in your family tree ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 10:22 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brimelow View Post
If you did, can you please share your ancestral results ? Did you come out 100 percent European ? Or did you find some minor Nonwhite ancestry in your family tree ?
You're certainly one-of-a-kind Peter...

Or at least I hope so...

Old 05-20-2013, 02:01 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,091,412 times
IMO it is exceedingly unlikely anyone will be 100% European, even those whose ancestors, or the one tested, has never been out of Europe. I'm sure I will be challenged on this statement but I feel confident in it .

Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 PM

51,290 posts, read 50,539,435 times
My sister had it done. We were 66 percent British Isles, 27 percent Scandinavian, and 7 percent Unknown.

It's weird, because while great-greats on my father's side came from England, most of the rest came from The Netherlands. We know when they came and where they lived in Holland. We're not sure how that fits in with "British Isles" and "Scandinavian". There is one thread of family who was in New England since before the Revolution.

No clue as to what "Unknown" could be.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 PM

2,161 posts, read 2,253,979 times
My mother had it done. Don't remember the percentages. A staggering percentage was British Isles (my guess would be plain English, most of my ancestors weren't an adventurous lot) and a small percentage was "unassigned". We're guessing that's the part that is Sephardic Jewish. The funny part is, my mother and a lot of her family don't "look English" because of their skin colour. You'd think they'd all look more white given we're overwhelmingly English. But much of her family have tan skin and dark hair with dark blue eyes.

I think most white people have some mix in their blood. We're not unique. Every race is probably a mutt, the question is just to what degree?

Old 05-20-2013, 05:56 PM
bjh

26,135 posts, read 22,790,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My sister had it done. We were 66 percent British Isles, 27 percent Scandinavian, and 7 percent Unknown.

It's weird, because while great-greats on my father's side came from England, most of the rest came from The Netherlands. We know when they came and where they lived in Holland. We're not sure how that fits in with "British Isles" and "Scandinavian". There is one thread of family who was in New England since before the Revolution.

No clue as to what "Unknown" could be.
At least some of the modern English people have ancestors who originated in Holland. That may be why your seeing genetic matches with the British Isles with a lot of Dutch ancestors. The Scandinavians otoh are known for "settling" lots of areas of Britain. Wouldn't be surprising if some of them settled in the Netherlands as well. Unknown European is a set of genes found over such a widespread area of Europe that they can't be ascribed to a specific group.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
My mother had it done. Don't remember the percentages. A staggering percentage was British Isles (my guess would be plain English, most of my ancestors weren't an adventurous lot) and a small percentage was "unassigned". We're guessing that's the part that is Sephardic Jewish. The funny part is, my mother and a lot of her family don't "look English" because of their skin colour. You'd think they'd all look more white given we're overwhelmingly English. But much of her family have tan skin and dark hair with dark blue eyes.

I think most white people have some mix in their blood. We're not unique. Every race is probably a mutt, the question is just to what degree?
British is more than English alone. British also includes Irish, Scottish and Welsh.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 PM

2,203 posts, read 2,273,568 times
I'm not white, I'm sort of a light tan. So, I guess I can't respond.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:39 PM

2,161 posts, read 2,253,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
British is more than English alone. British also includes Irish, Scottish and Welsh.
Yep, I know. I was born in England and lived there well into my teens as a little while as an adult, I'm well aware of other ethnicity's within the British Isles. I conclude English based on my genealogy. My family proved to be one of the easier ones to track. Most didn't move much.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 AM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Yep, I know. I was born in England and lived there well into my teens as a little while as an adult, I'm well aware of other ethnicity's within the British Isles. I conclude English based on my genealogy. My family proved to be one of the easier ones to track. Most didn't move much.
Fair enough. Some peeps who browse the forum might not know that.

I once participated in a survey conducted by a woman in her 40s, average, middle-class American. (I'm American, too.) Towards the end one of the questions was: what's your ethnicity. I said mostly British.

She said, what's that.
Me: You know, Great Britain.
(She looks confused. )
Me: the United Kingdom.
She: What's that?
Me: England, Scotland, Wales and northern Ireland.
She: oh England.

She had heard of England. Though I wondered if it wasn't just a vague television version in her head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy