U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:21 AM

9,351 posts, read 5,172,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I am 2.9% Neanderthal according to 23 and me, if that is your question.
Interesting. My wife and I just took our 23 and me swabs last night and shipped them back today. Looking forward to the results!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:06 AM

560 posts, read 1,067,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
My vision's pretty bad anyway, and I don't drive at night anymore. Did Neanderthals have bad night vision? Saw a show last night about a family of Neanderthals they found in a cave in northern Spain. They tested the DNA from the bones and found out that the two adult males were brothers, while the women were unrelated to them and unrelated to each other. There were several children, as well. Their theory is that the men tended to stay in one place and either bring women home to live with them, or the women did the traveling to find mates. It interested me, because my Basque ancestors were from that area, and I wonder if my Neanderthal blood comes from that region of Europe.

There's a theory that Neanderthals had better vision-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21759233

Old 05-25-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Interesting. My wife and I just took our 23 and me swabs last night and shipped them back today. Looking forward to the results!

When I did mine it was just a lot of saliva.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I am 2.9% Neanderthal according to 23 and me, if that is your question.
Do you have any Denisovan, too?

Old 05-25-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do the Nat'l Geno test results work: obviously they give you really ancient results, but do they give you intermediate results, too? Like your haplogroup's migration route, which original European population you're from, and all that? And is this Y-DNA or mtDNA we're looking at?

Which testing company would you recommend, and why?

I would recommend 23andme over Nat Geo. It's less expensive (last time I checked) and I got much more information. This is what Nat Geo says about me-

Northern European 44%
Mediterranean 37%
Southwest Asian 17% (supposedly typical for the British reference population)

This only adds up to 98% because Nat Geo doesnít give any information about components that are less than 2% (the hominid ancestry analysis is separate). Iím a little bit skeptical about the Denisovan (1.8%) info because I thought (based on limited research) that this was more prevalent in Australasia-Oceana.

Nat Geo might be a better deal for someone with a more mixed background than me (like TribalCat).

Old 05-26-2013, 10:43 AM
bjh

26,041 posts, read 22,775,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
When I did mine it was just a lot of saliva.
It still is.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:22 PM

5,495 posts, read 4,399,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
23ndme had an asterisk at the end of my Y haplogroup, Nat GEO did not. Nat Geo added a 1 to the mtDNA haplogroup that 23andme reported.
The asterisk just means that they do not test any markers further downstream - NG has a much deeper mtDNA and YDNA test. The trees are always changing due to new markers being discovered and eventually added/placed in the tree thus changing it - sometimes dramatically.

See these sites for mtDNA and YDNA trees.

ISOGG 2013 Y-DNA Haplogroup Tree

PhyloTree.org - human mtDNA tree: phylogeny, haplotree, haplogroups, mutations, RSRS, rCRS

Get familiar with the terminology.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,299,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post

24% Northeastern Asian
22% Mediterranean
19% Southeastern Asian
13% Northern European
8% Oceanian
5% Southwestern Asian
4% Sub-Saharan African
4% Native American
Before the test, what did you think your ethnicities were? And, what do you look like?

Old 06-02-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
The asterisk just means that they do not test any markers further downstream - NG has a much deeper mtDNA and YDNA test. The trees are always changing due to new markers being discovered and eventually added/placed in the tree thus changing it - sometimes dramatically.

See these sites for mtDNA and YDNA trees.

ISOGG 2013 Y-DNA Haplogroup Tree

PhyloTree.org - human mtDNA tree: phylogeny, haplotree, haplogroups, mutations, RSRS, rCRS

Get familiar with the terminology.

I think an asterisk means a paragroup. If they find more people with the same extra DNA, then they might assign a number for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paragroup

Old 06-02-2013, 01:16 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,885,607 times
Is there anyone that didn't come from some type of cave man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or