U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 05:51 PM

560 posts, read 1,104,096 times

Advertisements

I just got my National Geographic 2.0 results back. My haplogroups were slightly different than 23andme, but this was the most interesting information-
Attached Thumbnails
Who has more caveman blood?-neanderthal-copy.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 06:10 PM
bjh

30,089 posts, read 23,651,699 times
How different? We can't know you by your haplogroups so do you mind saying what each said?

Old 05-21-2013, 07:07 PM

5,345 posts, read 6,467,597 times
I am 2.9% Neanderthal according to 23 and me, if that is your question.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:13 PM

394 posts, read 1,332,113 times
According to NatGeo's Geno 2.0 test, I'm 3.5% Neanderthal and 4.4% Denisovan. 23andMe says 3.2% Neanderthal

Old 05-22-2013, 06:29 PM

560 posts, read 1,104,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
How different? We can't know you by your haplogroups so do you mind saying what each said?
23ndme had an asterisk at the end of my Y haplogroup, Nat GEO did not. Nat Geo added a 1 to the mtDNA haplogroup that 23andme reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I am 2.9% Neanderthal according to 23 and me, if that is your question.
Slightly above average (for a European). Sorry, not a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
According to NatGeo's Geno 2.0 test, I'm 3.5% Neanderthal and 4.4% Denisovan. 23andMe says 3.2% Neanderthal
That's fairly high. How's your night vision?

Old 05-22-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
That's fairly high. How's your night vision?
My vision's pretty bad anyway, and I don't drive at night anymore. Did Neanderthals have bad night vision? Saw a show last night about a family of Neanderthals they found in a cave in northern Spain. They tested the DNA from the bones and found out that the two adult males were brothers, while the women were unrelated to them and unrelated to each other. There were several children, as well. Their theory is that the men tended to stay in one place and either bring women home to live with them, or the women did the traveling to find mates. It interested me, because my Basque ancestors were from that area, and I wonder if my Neanderthal blood comes from that region of Europe.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:35 PM

77,731 posts, read 69,599,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
Denisovan! Very cool!

Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 PM

77,731 posts, read 69,599,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
I just got my National Geographic 2.0 results back. My haplogroups were slightly different than 23andme, but this was the most interesting information-
How do the Nat'l Geno test results work: obviously they give you really ancient results, but do they give you intermediate results, too? Like your haplogroup's migration route, which original European population you're from, and all that? And is this Y-DNA or mtDNA we're looking at?

Which testing company would you recommend, and why?

Old 05-23-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do the Nat'l Geno test results work: obviously they give you really ancient results, but do they give you intermediate results, too? Like your haplogroup's migration route, which original European population you're from, and all that? And is this Y-DNA or mtDNA we're looking at?

Which testing company would you recommend, and why?
I've only had my mtDNA tested. NatGeo's Geno 2.0 gives you the haplogroup's migration route, but also gives you more current information, for example, my results with them are:

24% Northeastern Asian
22% Mediterranean
19% Southeastern Asian
13% Northern European
8% Oceanian
5% Southwestern Asian
4% Sub-Saharan African
4% Native American

As for which test is best, it depends on what information you're looking for.

AncestryDNA tells you exactly which countries each of their regions include, for example, their Southern European region covers Italy, Spain and Portugal. It also gives you some history and interesting facts about each region. You don't have to be an Ancestry subscriber to take the test, but if you are a member, you can link your DNA results to your family tree and find possible relatives. I've found several cousins through them.

23andMe gives you health information as well as ancestral information and shows your chromosome chart. Im addition, it gives you a list of possible relatives that have also taken the test, and you can send invitations to share genome information with them.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:29 AM

9,995 posts, read 11,616,536 times
This is kind of cool!

I have a working hypothesis that Ashkenazi Jewish and Armenian people would have the highest Neanderthal percentages (originating in the Caucasus, Pontic steppe region where Neanderthal admixing supposedly occurred), so it would be interesting to see if this is true. I thought the strongest evidence of Denisovan was further east, like SE Asia.

As for myself, being mostly N. European, I would guess I am about 2% Neanderthal as well. However, there is a Native American rumor in the family, so it would be cool to see if that shows up too (not sure if that would mean Denisovan or not).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or