U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 10:18 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,152,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Are these incomplete results? I ask because 23andMe results took some time to fully load. I recommend them btw.

Anyway Native American traits can be from Asian ancestry.
As far as I can tell, these are my complete results with Family Finder.

I know Native American traits can be found in Asian ancestry, but either way, with only a 0.01% margin of error, the test seems to be saying I'm 100% Pict, Viking, and/or Scottish ancestry (which is what Orcadian is), which doesn't really explain the shovel teeth and other features.

If there was a 5% margin of error, then that's where I'd assume the shovel teeth came from, and it wouldn't be an issue that my results still said 100% Orcadian. It's the tiny margin of error that makes me think they missed something.

Anyhow, I'm excited for the 23andme results. From what I've read on this forum, it sounds like 23andme will give me more comprehensive results. I think the test will be delivered to me today. I got one for my daughter as well, so both she and I will be spitting a lot tonight.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 10:41 PM
bjh

26,041 posts, read 22,775,493 times
^ Sounds like loads of family fun.

If daughter's comes back half Orcadian, guessing her father is of different stock, then that would help confirm the results with the other test.

Otherwise, if you have done some genealogy and knew you had a lot of northern Scottish and Orkney Islands heritage, than this would not have been a surprise. Anyway good luck with it all.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^ Sounds like loads of family fun.

If daughter's comes back half Orcadian, guessing her father is of different stock, then that would help confirm the results with the other test.

Otherwise, if you have done some genealogy and knew you had a lot of northern Scottish and Orkney Islands heritage, than this would not have been a surprise. Anyway good luck with it all.
I was adopted. I only know what my birth mother tells me about her lineage (English, German, Native American), and what she tells me about my birth father's lineage (100% Dutch), but she's lied about lots of things so far (I think she's a chronic liar), so I don't rely on her information at all. From what I can tell, her family separated themselves from everyone else. I finally was able to get information about her ancestors because of some deaths in her immediate family - apparently, the deaths prompted her relatives to add her immediate family names to their genealogical research. A few years ago there was nothing - now I can trace part of her lineage back to the 1600's.

EDIT: The spitting was hilarious and gross. We went into separate rooms.
EDIT2: The lineage traced back to the 1600's goes to England. Most of it is in the Eastern US.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 3 days ago)

14,418 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I was adopted. I only know what my birth mother tells me about her lineage (English, German, Native American), and what she tells me about my birth father's lineage (100% Dutch), but she's lied about lots of things so far (I think she's a chronic liar), so I don't rely on her information at all. From what I can tell, her family separated themselves from everyone else. I finally was able to get information about her ancestors because of some deaths in her immediate family - apparently, the deaths prompted her relatives to add her immediate family names to their genealogical research. A few years ago there was nothing - now I can trace part of her lineage back to the 1600's.

EDIT: The spitting was hilarious and gross. We went into separate rooms.
EDIT2: The lineage traced back to the 1600's goes to England. Most of it is in the Eastern US.
I have two mystery questions. They are about Grandparents, but one at least my great grandmother took the secret to the grave. The other one I'm going to persue. If you look into English lines, you can find a lot more than some since if they lived in a village the parish priest recorded each birth death and marriage in the parish book. They also used a census after a tax was imposed by the monarchy. I have names all the way back to 1400.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I have two mystery questions. They are about Grandparents, but one at least my great grandmother took the secret to the grave. The other one I'm going to persue. If you look into English lines, you can find a lot more than some since if they lived in a village the parish priest recorded each birth death and marriage in the parish book. They also used a census after a tax was imposed by the monarchy. I have names all the way back to 1400.
I'm hoping to go to England and Scotland in a couple years. I've been before, but it was when I was younger and didn't have the information about my biological family that I have now. I have a family friend who went to England about ten years ago to do research into her family, and she had a great time finding out all kinds of stuff and visiting the towns where her ancestors were from. Definitely something I look forward to doing.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 3 days ago)

14,418 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
I'm hoping to go to England and Scotland in a couple years. I've been before, but it was when I was younger and didn't have the information about my biological family that I have now. I have a family friend who went to England about ten years ago to do research into her family, and she had a great time finding out all kinds of stuff and visiting the towns where her ancestors were from. Definitely something I look forward to doing.
If you have a place to start, most of those village records have been digitized and can be looked up online as well. They have moved the books to a central area where they are kept under the right humiditity and conditions so they'll last as well. I admit to being dissapointed that mine were centered about what became East London. But its cool they are likely decendent of Vikings. I sure wish I could make the trip, but when you see pictures of East London its cool to think that somewhere out there your own ancestral blood still runs.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:09 AM

I got my preliminary 23andme results back! They're still doing ancestry composition, but so far it shows that I am:

2.9% neanderthal (my daughter is 3.3%)
Haplogroup T2a1

Old 07-04-2013, 06:18 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,968,549 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I recently got my results back from the Family Finder test at familytreedna.com, and it turns out that I'm 100% Orcadian (with only a .01% margin of error). Because my birth mother always said she was German (could possibly be Orcadian), English (definitely could be Orcadian), and Native American (definitely not Orcadian), I was pretty shocked. Additionally, I have shovel teeth, marks near my retinal nerve (found in Native Americans), and many other Native American features.

So I have a few questions for people who have done DNA tests before:

1) Is there a chance they mixed up my DNA sample?
2) How many other people here have gotten back 100% Orcadian results? How common is it?
3) Was anyone else totally surprised by their results?
4) What other DNA tests have people used? I'm considering doing 23andme (for both my daughter and I). I did the National Geographic Genographic program one years ago, and I got back that I'm Haplogroup T, but I lost my kit number, so no longer have access to any of my information, but I'm considering repurchasing a kit. If you've done other DNA tests, what one did you like the most, and why?
A couple of observations ...

Firstly i'm not too surprised seeing some ''Native American'' bloodline in Orcadians (albeit extremely rare) as the vikings most likely did encounter/intermingled with them to possibly have brought some of them back to Greenland, Iceland etc. (Sagas of Erik the Red) infact they had names for the areas they visited e.g. Vinland, Helluland and Markland (Newfoundland, Baffin Island, Labrador).

Secondly your mtDNA haplogroup T while it accounts for about 15% of all female european lineages it however is found predominently around the Baltic Sea regions and so most likely they along with their twin female counterpart mtDNA J both ventured north from the Black Sea region starting around 10,000 b.c. (possibly with R1a males) as the last of the Younger Dryas two mile high ice sheets permanently receeded north which allowed them to migrate into the Baltic and Scandinavian areas of europe.

Note: Strictly ''speculative'' on my behalf however if i was placing a bet as to which female haplogroup was the original one which had mutated (OCA2 gene) for having blue eyes i'd guess that it was your T haplogroup .

Old 07-04-2013, 11:56 PM
bjh

26,041 posts, read 22,775,493 times
Quote:
I got my preliminary 23andme results back! They're still doing ancestry composition, but so far it shows that I am:

2.9% neanderthal (my daughter is 3.3%)
Haplogroup T2a1

I'm 2.8% Neanderthal myself.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 AM

So my full results are back with 23andme.

I am:
99.5% European (88.9% Northern European, 10.7% Nonspecific European)
0.1% Sub Saharan African
0.4% Unassigned

Of the 88.9% Northern European, I am:
7.6% British & Irish
1.7% French and German
0.2% Scandinavian
79.4% Nonspecific Northern European

I guess as more people take the tests and they figure out more about DNA, they'll be able to figure out the "Nonspecific" parts? Not sure from where my shovel teeth came, but I guess it could be the 0.4% Unassigned.

EDIT: "Speculative Estimate" has me at:
99.6% European (98.7% Northern European, <0.1% Southern European, 1.0% Nonspecific European)
0.2% South Asian
0.1% Sub Saharan African
<0.1% East Asian & Native American (all of which is East Asian)

Of the Northern European, it has me at:
48.2% British and Irish
8.5% French and German
1.7% Scandinavian
40.2% Nonspecific Northern European

EDIT 2: My daughter came out as 100% European, with <0.1% Unassigned (speculative - her standard results were 99.9% European with 0.1% Unassigned).

Last edited by MisfitBanana; 07-06-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy