U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 07:47 PM
bjh

26,041 posts, read 22,775,493 times

Advertisements

I was going to suggest looking at the speculative estimate, but see you've already done so. I found the speculative estimate pretty much matched up with what I know on paper.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,180 times
Hello. I recently submitted a sample to FamilyFinder, requesting Family Finder and mtDNA full-sequence tests be run.

My results indicated 91.83% Orcadian (+/- 2.76%) and 8.71% Middle East (+/- 2.76%).

As far as "matches" are concerned, I have many 2nd-4th cousin matches through Family Finder, and 1 exact match through mtDNA. I attempted to contact this match, only to receive Mail Daemons. So... I ran her name, only to find an obituary that was about 2 years old. The age is the same, so I assume this is the same woman. Reading her obituary, I found she had a sister, so I ran her name. Again, I found an obituary; this one was from earlier this year.

I, too, was adopted. I had hoped I could learn, definitively, at least race, etc., from these tests.

The non-identifying information from the adoption agency says my father was Cherokee Indian, and my mother was of Scotch, Irish, Indian descent. So on her side, is that American Indian, or Indian, Pakistani, etc.? Who knows?

Old 10-20-2013, 08:28 PM

394 posts, read 1,295,818 times
You might try Ancestry.com's DNA test. In the past, it wasn't as good as 23andMe or FTDNA, but they've just revamped their program (this past week), and the results are SO much better. I even got better results from them than I did from 23andMe, so I'm very impressed, and I was happy that I didn't have to re-take the test or pay extra, since I took it last year. They still had my data and automatically ran them through the new system.

When I first tested with Ancestry.com, they had me broken down into 4 categories, with 16% uncertain. Now, they've got me broken down into 15 categories with no "uncertain". 23andMe still has me with 9 categories and 8.8% unassigned.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,152,350 times
That's interesting. I haven't paid for Ancestry.com's DNA test, but I did Family Finder and 23andMe. I thought 23andMe was way better than Family Finder. Do you think it's worth it to go on and do the Ancestry.com one if I've already done the other two?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,917 times
Family Tree DNA offers the D9S919 test for $15. I believe a score of 9 or maybe even 10 confirms a Native marker. Scoring something else doesnt preclude Native DNA though.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:41 PM

2,603 posts, read 3,768,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melainepurvis View Post
Hello. I recently submitted a sample to FamilyFinder, requesting Family Finder and mtDNA full-sequence tests be run.

My results indicated 91.83% Orcadian (+/- 2.76%) and 8.71% Middle East (+/- 2.76%).

As far as "matches" are concerned, I have many 2nd-4th cousin matches through Family Finder, and 1 exact match through mtDNA. I attempted to contact this match, only to receive Mail Daemons. So... I ran her name, only to find an obituary that was about 2 years old. The age is the same, so I assume this is the same woman. Reading her obituary, I found she had a sister, so I ran her name. Again, I found an obituary; this one was from earlier this year.

I, too, was adopted. I had hoped I could learn, definitively, at least race, etc., from these tests.

The non-identifying information from the adoption agency says my father was Cherokee Indian, and my mother was of Scotch, Irish, Indian descent. So on her side, is that American Indian, or Indian, Pakistani, etc.? Who knows?
From your results the Orcadian would be Irish, Scottish or North Western European so I don't know where you are getting any Native American from? Middle East doesn't denote any Native American or Indian (as in India). I think most Europeans score some Middle Eastern when they do these dna tests.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:32 AM

This autosomal dna map might be helpful to people to see what populations Orcadians are close to and cluster with.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
From your results the Orcadian would be Irish, Scottish or North Western European so I don't know where you are getting any Native American from? Middle East doesn't denote any Native American or Indian (as in India). I think most Europeans score some Middle Eastern when they do these dna tests.
The Cherokee part is information from the adoption agency. Meaning, when the birth parents put the child up for adoption, they gave the adoption agency their ethnicities, and it was written up on a paper that the adoptive parents got. It's non-identifying, because it gives vague information, without giving any information that could tell the adoptive parents/adopted child who the birth parents were (usually height, hair color, eye color, ethnicities, and possibly some hobbies that the birth parents enjoyed).

So the birth father said he was Cherokee - or the birth mother said it about him. And back then "Indian" was used on non-identifying information sheets to denote both people of Indian heritage, as well as people of Native American heritage.

The non-identifying information on the information sheet I was given, listed my birth mother as "Indian" as well, and my parents were verbally told by the agency that it meant Native American. That said, my results have me at being almost all Orcadian, with only a tiny speculative amount being Native American. And that said, I have shovel teeth that aren't really explained by my DNA results. I'm guessing as they learn more about DNA, the results will be refined even more.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
This autosomal dna map might be helpful to people to see what populations Orcadians are close to and cluster with.
Is there a larger picture of that? That looks awesome, but I have bad eyes.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
The Cherokee part is information from the adoption agency. Meaning, when the birth parents put the child up for adoption, they gave the adoption agency their ethnicities, and it was written up on a paper that the adoptive parents got. It's non-identifying, because it gives vague information, without giving any information that could tell the adoptive parents/adopted child who the birth parents were (usually height, hair color, eye color, ethnicities, and possibly some hobbies that the birth parents enjoyed).

So the birth father said he was Cherokee - or the birth mother said it about him. And back then "Indian" was used on non-identifying information sheets to denote both people of Indian heritage, as well as people of Native American heritage.

The non-identifying information on the information sheet I was given, listed my birth mother as "Indian" as well, and my parents were verbally told by the agency that it meant Native American. That said, my results have me at being almost all Orcadian, with only a tiny speculative amount being Native American. And that said, I have shovel teeth that aren't really explained by my DNA results. I'm guessing as they learn more about DNA, the results will be refined even more.
I think Orcadian is very much British/Irish/Northern European. The Native American must be quite small. Shovel teeth are also present in Asian and Northern European populations so that is not necessarily indicative of Native American ancestry. I hope you find out more about your ancestry but from your dna results you seem to be very British Isles.

I'll see if I can find a bigger dna map for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy