U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 754 times

Advertisements

As for the American Indian question. I read that not a lot of Native American DNA samples have been collected in North America, so a lot of people who feel it should be showing up in their DNA aren't seeing it. Maybe you have Native American DNA, but there's nothing to compare it to, so the program picks the closest possibility it can find, which for you appears to be Orchadian.

I also read that a lot of Native American DNA, especially concerning the Cherokee, has been lost, or diluted with European DNA, due to genocides of Native American males and white men marrying native women in the 1800's.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 502 times
Welcome to the family friend. I am a mix of celtic and norse blood. My family genealogy traces back to the vikings of Norway and the Orkney islands. Basically if you think about it, my female ancestor was living on the Orcadian islands when my male ancestor sailed with Jarl Thorfinn to the island and apparently they got along real well. Because here I am with "Scottish" and Norwegian blood. My grandfather always liked to say he had native American in him too, his uncle used to walk around with his feathered chieftain headdress.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:07 PM

858 posts, read 748,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuAlbert View Post
As for the American Indian question. I read that not a lot of Native American DNA samples have been collected in North America, so a lot of people who feel it should be showing up in their DNA aren't seeing it. Maybe you have Native American DNA, but there's nothing to compare it to, so the program picks the closest possibility it can find, which for you appears to be Orchadian.

I also read that a lot of Native American DNA, especially concerning the Cherokee, has been lost, or diluted with European DNA, due to genocides of Native American males and white men marrying native women in the 1800's.

Hope this helps.
Both true, both are cross-supportive. Part of the reason they use a lot of Native American DNA samples from South America is they can find more remote populations that have had less European intermixing. As you point out many of the North American Native Americans have been heavily intermixed so it's hard to pull out the pre-Columbian NA DNA... Cherokee being most likely the most intermixed, the current Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation is only 1/32 Cherokee (and maybe less via DNA either due to the random nature of it or some of the supposed fool blood ancestors could have already had some earlier unknown European DNA).

Much of the DNA testing of North American tribes has either been limited (either due to concern or lack of interest) and most that has happened has revealed large amounts of European DNA. This of course causes all sorts of qwaks to create theories of pre-Columbian European migrations (such as Israelites) which is *not* supported by DNA or Archeology (except some early Norse arrivals from Greenland around Newfoundland).

Now this doesn't quite mean what a lot of people claims it means, that all these White people have all this hidden NA DNA since they aren't compared to many North American's NA DNA. Any North American pre-Colubmian NA DNA will show a much stronger affinity to other Native American populations (keep in mind we have at least two North American NA DNA samples from Clovis and Kennewick man) than to European populations. There may be some DNA slipping through since the Siberians that made up the original NA migrant population (15k years ago or so) also share some affinity with some European DNA very distantly... there were big migrations all around Europe and Asia and we're getting a better picture of that.

Despite all that pre-Colombian DNA should either show up Amerindian, East Asian, Siberian, etc... long before it would show up European.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy