Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:38 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I recently got my results back from the Family Finder test at familytreedna.com, and it turns out that I'm 100% Orcadian (with only a .01% margin of error). Because my birth mother always said she was German (could possibly be Orcadian), English (definitely could be Orcadian), and Native American (definitely not Orcadian), I was pretty shocked. Additionally, I have shovel teeth, marks near my retinal nerve (found in Native Americans), and many other Native American features.

So I have a few questions for people who have done DNA tests before:

1) Is there a chance they mixed up my DNA sample?
2) How many other people here have gotten back 100% Orcadian results? How common is it?
3) Was anyone else totally surprised by their results?
4) What other DNA tests have people used? I'm considering doing 23andme (for both my daughter and I). I did the National Geographic Genographic program one years ago, and I got back that I'm Haplogroup T, but I lost my kit number, so no longer have access to any of my information, but I'm considering repurchasing a kit. If you've done other DNA tests, what one did you like the most, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
What is Orcadian, shovel teeth and retinal nerve marks?

Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing!

Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
What is Orcadian, shovel teeth and retinal nerve marks?

Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing!
Orcadian: Orcadians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, the descendants of Picts, Scots, and Vikings.

Shovel Teeth: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-A9ipYvA1R_...nt+line+up.gif

They have bulbs at the top, and look sorta scooped out in the middle, hence why they're called shovel teeth.

I also have more roots on my molars than most people do, and they go deep and attach to my jaw bone (when I had to get one out, the dentist actually had to use the drill against my bone) - these are very Native American traits as well (so I've read).

The marks near my retinal nerve show up like bright green dots. They look similar to a disease found in midwestern mud, but I've never actually visited the midwest, and people usually get sick when they get that disease, and I hadn't been sick in awhile. So after doing research, I found out that some Native Americans will have these marks show up (usually in just one eye, which is how mine is). It's benign and doesn't actually do any damage.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:54 AM

671 posts, read 1,545,976 times
Last time I did a DNA kit test, it was revealed that I'm a neanderthal. Biggest waste of my money -- my wife was telling me that information since from the first day we met!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, I'm not sure that your haplogroup T analysis is compatible with the Orcadian thing--Germanic/English. 23andMe seems to have a good reputation, and it can't hurt to get another analysis done by a different company.

Here's some info on mtDNA group T:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_T_(mtDNA)

Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I'm not sure that your haplogroup T analysis is compatible with the Orcadian thing--Germanic/English. 23andMe seems to have a good reputation, and it can't hurt to get another analysis done by a different company.

Here's some info on mtDNA group T:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_T_(mtDNA)
That's what I thought, too, which was another confusion I'm having with the 100% Orcadian results.

I think I'll definitely try 23andme. It's also cheaper. I should've tried it before I tried Family Finder!

Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM

And btw, "Native American" doesn't mean much, in view of the variety of haplogroups in the Americas. A company should be able to tell you more than that. Maybe not, if it's not directly in the maternal line, though. hm...

Old 05-22-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And btw, "Native American" doesn't mean much, in view of the variety of haplogroups in the Americas. A company should be able to tell you more than that. Maybe not, if it's not directly in the maternal line, though. hm...
That's the rub. I was adopted, and know of noone from my paternal line (so I don't know anyone who I could get to take the DNA test). I was actually hoping that Family Finder might connect me to someone from that side, but so far no luck (although I've only had the results for about a week). So far, it looks like there's no one closer than about 5th cousin, and they're from my maternal side.

I ordered 23andme - hopefully there will be more matches there. And it will be pretty cool to compare the results there, with the results from Family Finder.

I'm also going to try my best to find my old National Geographic kit number.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I ordered 23andme - hopefully there will be more matches there. And it will be pretty cool to compare the results there, with the results from Family Finder.

I'm also going to try my best to find my old National Geographic kit number.
Great. When you get your results from 23&me, please share!

Old 05-25-2013, 10:10 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Hi Everyone,

I recently got my results back from the Family Finder test at familytreedna.com, and it turns out that I'm 100% Orcadian (with only a .01% margin of error). Because my birth mother always said she was German (could possibly be Orcadian), English (definitely could be Orcadian), and Native American (definitely not Orcadian), I was pretty shocked. Additionally, I have shovel teeth, marks near my retinal nerve (found in Native Americans), and many other Native American features.

So I have a few questions for people who have done DNA tests before:

1) Is there a chance they mixed up my DNA sample?
2) How many other people here have gotten back 100% Orcadian results? How common is it?
3) Was anyone else totally surprised by their results?
4) What other DNA tests have people used? I'm considering doing 23andme (for both my daughter and I). I did the National Geographic Genographic program one years ago, and I got back that I'm Haplogroup T, but I lost my kit number, so no longer have access to any of my information, but I'm considering repurchasing a kit. If you've done other DNA tests, what one did you like the most, and why?
Are these incomplete results? I ask because 23andMe results took some time to fully load. I recommend them btw.

Anyway Native American traits can be from Asian ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy