U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 06:39 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,420,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I met a man who shared my rather unusual surname at a party once - turned out we were half first cousins, thirteen generations removed.
I'm confused.. I thought if you were first cousins 13 times removed, that would be 13 generations older... your dad's first cousin is your first cousin once removed... your grandfather's first cousin is your first cousin twice removed, and your great grandfather's cousin is your first cousin 3 times removed. It's taken me 30 years to understand this, lol, so I hope I'm not wrong!

Could he possibly be your 13th cousin, meaning you share the same grandparent 13 generations before?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 01:24 PM

9,627 posts, read 7,629,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I'm confused.. I thought if you were first cousins 13 times removed, that would be 13 generations older... your dad's first cousin is your first cousin once removed... your grandfather's first cousin is your first cousin twice removed, and your great grandfather's cousin is your first cousin 3 times removed. It's taken me 30 years to understand this, lol, so I hope I'm not wrong!

Could he possibly be your 13th cousin, meaning you share the same grandparent 13 generations before?

Yes.

Our common 13th grandfather was married twice. My newfound cousin descended from the first wife; I descend from the second wife, whom our 13th grandfather married after he was widowed. Hence, we are half cousins, with thirteen generations of descent, since as I recall, we each were thirteenth generations down the line from our shared ancestor. So we're half-thirteenth cousins.

I apologize for incorrectly describing the relationship previously.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:04 PM

221 posts, read 303,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Thanks to three cousin marriages in the distant past, my father and I are also fifth cousins once removed (twice), eighth cousins twice removed, ninth cousins, ninth cousins twice removed, and tenth cousins!

That makes me and my brother also cousins several different ways.

My sons and I are cousins ...

My grand daughter and I are cousins ...

Anyone else noticed this?

LOL, this is funny!

Old 06-03-2013, 03:12 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,221,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
You should search out and listen to an old song, "I'm My Own Grandpa." You will appreciate it.
That's what I thought of.

I'm My Own Grandpa- Ray Stevens ( with family tree diagram) - YouTube

My grandparents are third cousins. I told my Grandma that and she was surprised. They thought they were like 5th cousins or something.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:12 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,782,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
I think once you get to the third cousin, the ewww factor is significantly removed. Once you reach the fifth cousin stage, it kinda becomes totally okay.

Any of you know all your 4th counsins? See!!!
I think my older relatives probably knew many of their 3rd, 4th and 5th cousins because they all lived in the same group of small towns. I do know a couple of 5th cousins.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:15 PM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Default How to calculate cousin relationships

Cousins Defined

Old 06-03-2013, 05:22 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,782,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I met a man who shared my rather unusual surname at a party once - turned out we were half first cousins, thirteen generations removed. Fortunately for our family's members, one of my father's first cousins did considerable (and accurate) research several decades ago and published it in a state genealogical journal. Without Cousin George's assistance, it would be much, much harder to trace our roots.
I also have a rather unusual surname. I've never bumped into anyone here in the country I live now with my surname but I note from the phone book that there are a few people with the surname in the town I'm living now - however, I am not sure if any people with my surname in this country are related in any way - I've not gone that far back. I suspect though that we probably would be related about 12-13 generations back.

However, everyone with my surname in my land of birth is related to me - either first or second cousins. I was in a bank there once and the teller got excited when she saw my credit card and was showing her friends - it turned out that my cousin's daughter (cousin once removed?) was her grandchild (her daughter was married to my cousin). Also, I was in another city over there and looked up the phone book and saw someone with the same surname and wondered who they were because I'd never heard of them. I asked my aunt and she said it was my uncle's son from his first shortlived marriage.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:30 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
I think once you get to the third cousin, the ewww factor is significantly removed. Once you reach the fifth cousin stage, it kinda becomes totally okay.

Any of you know all your 4th counsins? See!!!
Yes I do and we were close as children. That was my grandmothers sisters daughters child. Does that make sense? I think that is 4th, if not 3rd.

I don't think it becomes ok. That is just my opinion. With all of the many people in the world, I do not think you have to marry a family member, no matter how far removed they are.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,516,023 times
I will say that my sisters family is a bit mixed up. Not terribly and not by marriage but she married a man and then our cousin was with his brother so their kids became cousins on different levels, and then my sister is an aunt and a cousin to the same person.... just mixed up.

There was no marrying of family, just two of our family marrying two of theirs.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:53 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,653,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier Van Noort View Post
I will go with the tried and true, Suzy Q.

Creedence Clearwater Revival: Suzie Q - YouTube

YouTube Creedence covered Dale Hawkins.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy