Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:34 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times

Advertisements

One Maryland branch of my ancestral family tree doesn't "branch" as much as it might. Evidently it was quite common in Colonial and Early America to marry within the extended family, probably to preserve family wealth and other assets. Thankfully, this custom seems to have ceased about five generations ago in my line of this family, but prior to that, first cousins, first cousins once or more removed, and and other fairly close kin married each other quite frequently. There are certain surnames (and middle names) which repeat over and over - I still haven't figured out where some of them fit in. Toss in repeated use of given names to close relatives around the same age and living in the same area, and genealogical research becomes extremely difficult.

I and the other descendents of this old Maryland family are all our own cousins several times over, thanks to our ancestors' marital habits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 04:10 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,308,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Thanks to three cousin marriages in the distant past, my father and I are also fifth cousins once removed (twice), eighth cousins twice removed, ninth cousins, ninth cousins twice removed, and tenth cousins!

That makes me and my brother also cousins several different ways.

My sons and I are cousins ...

My grand daughter and I are cousins ...

Anyone else noticed this?
My maternal grandparents are third cousins on both their paternal lines and their maternal lines. My grandfathers mother's mother was the sister to my grandfather's uncle's wife. There are definitely other cousin connections. My maternal grandparents had the same surname which was and still is so common in their region that if you are not an X, you are married to an X or related to someone married to an X lol.

I contacted someone once who needed help with their family tree who were from the same region as my relatives and their family tree was evern more convoluted lol. There is a family history book with thousands of names and quite often people are in more than one part of the book because of their parents being cousins of some sort. The book has certainly helped to lessen confusion when trying to sort out relations because many people do have similar names. Even on the grandparents maternal sides, there are quite a few online family trees.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:37 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
Well if go back far enough you have brothers marrying their sisters

Old 06-01-2013, 07:46 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,418 times
It would have to be really, really far back. I haven't found any indication of it.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
There were lots of cousin marriages in colonial New England.
That's so true. I've got a bunch of them and it gets kind of complicated. I have one case where it seemed to be for political reasons and they married within the family. The men were all fighters in the French & Indian War in Vermont and they married each others brothers and sisters who went on to marry their cousins.

On my paternal side, in England, if I go back further than I can even imagine, I get a young girl who married her own uncle. They were great landowners in medieval England and wanted to keep the money and property in the family.

Of course, in more recent times, I married someone who was somehow related to me. We shared a surname in Vermont --our mothers figured out how we were related. Distantly!!

Old 06-01-2013, 09:59 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Kyra Sedgwick is zero degrees removed from Kevin Bacon.

Kyra Sedgwick and Kevin Bacon Are Distant Cousins - YouTube

Old 06-01-2013, 10:34 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
My maternal grandparents are third cousins on both their paternal lines and their maternal lines. My grandfathers mother's mother was the sister to my grandfather's uncle's wife. There are definitely other cousin connections. My maternal grandparents had the same surname which was and still is so common in their region that if you are not an X, you are married to an X or related to someone married to an X lol.

I contacted someone once who needed help with their family tree who were from the same region as my relatives and their family tree was evern more convoluted lol. There is a family history book with thousands of names and quite often people are in more than one part of the book because of their parents being cousins of some sort. The book has certainly helped to lessen confusion when trying to sort out relations because many people do have similar names. Even on the grandparents maternal sides, there are quite a few online family trees.
Well, in my case it simplifies things a bit. Fewer lines to research!

Old 06-02-2013, 12:01 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,936 times
I think once you get to the third cousin, the ewww factor is significantly removed. Once you reach the fifth cousin stage, it kinda becomes totally okay.

Any of you know all your 4th counsins? See!!!

Old 06-02-2013, 04:15 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
I met a man who shared my rather unusual surname at a party once - turned out we were half first cousins, thirteen generations removed. Fortunately for our family's members, one of my father's first cousins did considerable (and accurate) research several decades ago and published it in a state genealogical journal. Without Cousin George's assistance, it would be much, much harder to trace our roots.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:28 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times

I'm My Own Grandpa - YouTube

I'm My Own Grandpa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy