U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 06:43 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,785,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I cannot do without FreeBMD.org.uk - even though it only goes back to 1837 I have found invaluable stuff there. It has a cool query feature that lets you select births, deaths and marriages by county or district, for example, if you want to see a list of all people with the first name Edward, who got married in Hertfordshire between 1842 and 1847, you can do that. Or.. everyone with the last name Spencer, who died at the age of 5, in Wantage, for example.

It's worth checking out if you have stumbling blocks in the UK after 1837!
Thanks for that link. I'm looking up my paternal grandparents now. My surname is quite uncommon so hopefully it will help find more relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 PM

2,225 posts, read 4,408,676 times
Is there any way to get started doing research on my father's family when his grandparents' name was changed at Ellis Island and no one in our very small existing family knows what it used to be, or where they were from, other than "Russia"? Ancestry.com has a record of the grandparents and their Americanized name with no further info. There are no living relatives of my dad's family except me and my brother.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 PM

3,675 posts, read 2,488,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Is there any way to get started doing research on my father's family when his grandparents' name was changed at Ellis Island and no one in our very small existing family knows what it used to be, or where they were from, other than "Russia"? Ancestry.com has a record of the grandparents and their Americanized name with no further info. There are no living relatives of my dad's family except me and my brother.
Have you found your grandparents in any of the U.S. censuses? Approximately, when did they arrive in the U.S.? If your father was born in the U.S. , then you know they must have immigrated before his date of birth. If they immigrated prior to WW I, they were probably Germans from Volhynia in Russia.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:15 PM

2,225 posts, read 4,408,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Have you found your grandparents in any of the U.S. censuses? Approximately, when did they arrive in the U.S.? If your father was born in the U.S. , then you know they must have immigrated before his date of birth. If they immigrated prior to WW I, they were probably Germans from Volhynia in Russia.
Yes, my father was born in the US, as were his parents (my grandparents). But without knowing his grandparents' name before it was changed upon arrival, I'm unsure how to proceed.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,174 posts, read 22,803,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
I live in Missouri, too, and I love the Missouri Digital Heritage site. My grandmother came from one of the oldest families in Missouri. They were among the original French settlers who arrived here almost 280 years ago from Quebec and helped to build St. Genevieve, the oldest town in Missouri. The state archive has a lot of info about her family as well as my other Missouri French great-grandfathers and distant cousins. I have almost 300 years of family history on that site.

Cool. I should look around more to see if there's more info on my 2ggm who is of French descent from STL to the 1840s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
USGenWeb Free Genealogy and Family History Online - The USGenWeb Project has some really good county sites for all 50 states. Unfortunately some county sites are much better than others.
True, I was spoiled by the first county I looked at years ago. It's all volunteer so it's a real luck-of-the-draw on who does the county site you're looking for info from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I cannot do without FreeBMD.org.uk - even though it only goes back to 1837 I have found invaluable stuff there. It has a cool query feature that lets you select births, deaths and marriages by county or district, for example, if you want to see a list of all people with the first name Edward, who got married in Hertfordshire between 1842 and 1847, you can do that. Or.. everyone with the last name Spencer, who died at the age of 5, in Wantage, for example.

It's worth checking out if you have stumbling blocks in the UK after 1837!
I'll check that out, thanks.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,174 posts, read 22,803,080 times
Quote:
Yes, my father was born in the US, as were his parents (my grandparents). But without knowing his grandparents' name before it was changed upon arrival, I'm unsure how to proceed.
Start by writing down what you do know: names, dates and places. Speak to any living relatives who are willing to share what they know. Don't take anything anyone says as being written in stone. People make mistakes or have mistaken information or differing memories.

When you've got a little something to go on - look for your parents in the most recent US CENSUS which is 1940, if they were alive then. Finding them in the census with their parents will give you the information you need to proceed. The name you think was changed may or may not have actually been changed, or changed by much or changed (if it was) at Ellis. One of the best pieces of advice any new genealogist can take on board is: do not assume!

Feel free to post in relevant or new threads for advice, but start looking. You wont' know anything additionally if you don't start looking. It's not as difficult or mysterious as some newcomers think.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:20 AM

3,675 posts, read 2,488,418 times
Quote:
O.K., I will repeat my questions, substituting great-grandparents for grandparents and substituting grandfather for father:

Quote:
Have you found your great-grandparents in any of the U.S. censuses? Approximately, when did they arrive in the U.S.? If your grandfather was born in the U.S. , then you know they must have immigrated before his date of birth. If they immigrated prior to WW I, they were probably Germans from Volhynia in Russia.
If your great grandparents had other children, one of their descendants may know the surname prior to it being changed and may even have traced the family roots back to Russia and beyond.

A particular census may list your great grandparents and all their children. It might list year of immigration and shown which children were born prior to immigration (useful when looking at passenger lists). I find that the immigration date is often is incorrect but usually not wrong by more than 5 years.

A census lists ages and can help narrow down date and place of death. For example, if the husband is listed in one census and his wife is listed as a widow in the next census and hasn't moved, then you know approximately where and when to look for a newspaper obituary which might provide clues.

Generally the more information you add to your American tree, the more likely unknown cousins will find you and the more likely new records will pop up as hints.

If your great grandparents came from Volhynia, I can help further. A clue would be a census which shows a place of birth of Russia and ethnic origin as German.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:17 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,424,090 times
Default I found another feature on FreeBMD.com

I can't believe I never looked this up before. Just discovered on my favourite site FreeBMD.com(from reading the FAQ lol) that when looking for deaths, you can specify a range of 'age at time of death'. I had been pulling my hair out - I was looking for the date someone died - I knew he was around 28 to 31 years of age and I knew he died somewhere between 1907 and 1909.

So I started to do separate queries for each age, 28, then 29.. THEN decided to read the documention, and there it was. You can type into that field, 28-31

Did I find him? No. But I've narrowed it down for future research!

For newcomers to genealogy, FreeBMD is a site that has transcribed all the United Kingdom civil registrations of births, marriages and deaths from 1837 onward. It is invaluable to anyone researching the UK.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:53 PM

18,046 posts, read 17,182,887 times
For newcomers to genealogy, FreeBMD is a site that has transcribed all the United Kingdom civil registrations of births, marriages and deaths from 1837 onward. It is invaluable to anyone researching the UK.

Although I haven't used it in a while, that was one of my very favorite sites. Lately, in the US, I've been finding a lot just by using Google and putting in names and dates and possible locations. That leads to old town histories and historical society data that didn't used to be online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or