U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 07:12 AM

482 posts, read 337,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The one I love is, source: "Smidlapdorpher Family Bible." OK, great. Gotta love those fat old family Bibles. And where is this treasury of Smidlapdorpher family records..................right, no one knows. Every idiot Smidlapdorpher has just copied this over and over. In my family I finally found someone who actually claimed to have known a researcher who had known the family member who had the Bible. Hmmmm. And since this woman who supposedly owned the Bible is deceased for decades, where is the Bible?....has anyone actually seen it, much less touched it???????????

One excited soul, bless him, excitedly wrote that he had a copy of a family record page. GREAT!!! He sent it.

The copy was someone's (his I expect) smudgy notes of the same unverified facts that are attributed to this elusive "family bible."

I would question that as a source unless the person who owns the Bible has scanned the pages and uploaded them to ancestry.com. I have been fortunate in that one of my distant cousins does own a family Bible from the 1790's that includes family records back to the early 1700's. She has scanned the pages of the Bible and has shared them with everyone on ancestry.com. I consider them legit since there is another family Bible in existence that corroborates the info found in her Bible. The second family Bible is owned by the South Carolina state archives. The distant cousin who owned the second Bible was the governor of South Carolina during the Civil War.

I also personally own another family Bible from another branch of the family that dates back to July 1833. My 5th great-grandfather inscribed his name in it and recorded family births and deaths going back to the mid-1700s. I have also scanned these pages and posted them on ancestry.com for everyone to use, but it's actually kind of risky to that. Do you know how many threats I have received from distant cousins who are either jeolous or crazy and want to get their hands on that Bible?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 09:02 AM

8,230 posts, read 12,832,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The one I love is, source: "Smidlapdorpher Family Bible." OK, great. Gotta love those fat old family Bibles. And where is this treasury of Smidlapdorpher family records..................right, no one knows. Every idiot Smidlapdorpher has just copied this over and over. In my family I finally found someone who actually claimed to have known a researcher who had known the family member who had the Bible. Hmmmm. And since this woman who supposedly owned the Bible is deceased for decades, where is the Bible?....has anyone actually seen it, much less touched it???????????

One excited soul, bless him, excitedly wrote that he had a copy of a family record page. GREAT!!! He sent it.

The copy was someone's (his I expect) smudgy notes of the same unverified facts that are attributed to this elusive "family bible."
My mom is in possession of several family bibles.

It's not just ACOM, it's anywhere that there are family trees. Family trees are just data that is complied by human beings and all human beings make mistakes. How careless the mistake are is just an indication of how dedicate the person complying the data is. Some people initially take an interest in genealogy, then give up when they realize how much work is involved. Some might not have as much time as they'd like to work on it. Other could just be lazy. Ultimately, it's their life and their tree to do with what they will. Sometimes, I will look at other trees in hopes of finding records I may have missed. But without records attached, I just ignore other trees and focus on my own. You'll drive yourself mad if you allow yourself to obsess over other people's trees and no good will come of it, there's no point.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:05 AM

375 posts, read 924,821 times
The problem with all internet sources is the people behind them. I have an elderly aunt who is a converted Mormon. When she was filling out her family search paperwork back in the '70s and '80s there were a few things about our family that she was embarrassed to have her church friends know. The biggie was that one of her grandfathers was an unclaimed bastard with his mama's last name and a first wife in another county that he never legally divorced but apparently after the first lie it got easy. She created an impressive volume of work that is somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 fictitious. Many references to "family bibles" that didn't exist. Fast forward 40 years and that mess has propagated to the point that every internet genealogy site is chock full of my pretend ancestors. I trust nothing I find online except scans of original records. And I'm not 100% on those if I only have one record and no corroboration, at some point they were filled out by a human being who may have leaned on the facts with their own agenda. Once you know it's happened you start to see it everywhere. It's been enough to make me swear off of genealogy a few times.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:38 AM

11,685 posts, read 13,105,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
I would question that as a source unless the person who owns the Bible has scanned the pages and uploaded them to ancestry.com. ....
The case in my own family is that the supposed holder of this Bible from the early 1800's died without children. So, where has this Bible been since her death? How can anyone check it if it has no repository, or - as you say - the family record pages haven't been uploaded.

If you can't find the bloody book, then it doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. In this case, I worked backwards and did find various existing records that confirmed the existence of a previous family for my grtgrtgrandfather and their association with him and his children from his second wife. So, family Bible, family smible....I just realize that when I look at other trees they have mindlessly copied a source that in all likelihood none of them could have ever seen.

Of course, even family pages in a Bible can contain false information, but I tend to consider them a probably good resource.....providing one can know where they are and or see the data.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:50 AM

2,237 posts, read 2,764,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
The bolded bit is probably true. A lot of charts will have spelling mistakes in names. Even in the accurate charts that I was talking about, one relative's husband's surname is slightly misspelt on every single chart out there - I have a feeling that is the result of other relatives providing the wrong spelling - the relative herself died many years ago at a youngish age and the relatives haven't really kept in close touch with the widower (who remarried).

What does WFT stand for?
World Family Tree
World Family Tree: Research and View Trees Online or Download - Genealogy.com

Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 PM

738 posts, read 771,874 times
Have I ever come across an inaccurate family tree?????...Brother, could I tell Y-O-U stories!

RVcook

Old 06-04-2013, 03:43 PM

606 posts, read 724,404 times
Most of the ones I've found online are incorrect for my family. I keep my tree private but I must admit that I do enjoy reading through other's trees to see what they have. On occasion, someone else's tree has shown me the missing link to my own information. I don't add their information though without checking the sources and verifying it for myself.

I haven't touched my tree in months. I need to get back in the groove before my memberships need to be renewed.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:57 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,047,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
The bolded bit is probably true. A lot of charts will have spelling mistakes in names. Even in the accurate charts that I was talking about, one relative's husband's surname is slightly misspelt on every single chart out there - I have a feeling that is the result of other relatives providing the wrong spelling - the relative herself died many years ago at a youngish age and the relatives haven't really kept in close touch with the widower (who remarried).
As far as I'm concerned, in the days prior to modern birth registrations, there is no such thing as "correct" spelling.

Just as there's no such thing as a "Correct" family tree. We're all human. We all make mistakes. We all can misinterpret records (like assuming that "families" listed on pre1880 censuses are biologically related), misread old handwriting (assuming it was even written correctly in the first place), misidentify those two William Smiths, etc. And then there are the simply typographical errors ...

For example. I have an ancestor whose middle initial was "H." His death certificate gives his middle name as "Hunter" another record gives it as "Harrington." That's it. But I know (with no certainty) that his middle name was Huntington. It was his mother's maiden name, and he was the oldest son, and neither of the other names have any connection to the family. It just makes sense. And that's the way it's recorded. But sure ... I could be wrong.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:46 PM

16,501 posts, read 15,968,402 times
[quote=RDM66;29863362]I would question that as a source unless the person who owns the Bible has scanned the pages and uploaded them to ancestry.com. I have been fortunate in that one of my distant cousins does own a family Bible from the 1790's that includes family records back to the early 1700's. She has scanned the pages of the Bible and has shared them with everyone on ancestry.com. I consider them legit since there is another family Bible in existence that corroborates the info found in her Bible. The second family Bible is owned by the South Carolina state archives. The distant cousin who owned the second Bible was the governor of South Carolina during the Civil War.

I also personally own another family Bible from another branch of the family that dates back to July 1833. My 5th great-grandfather inscribed his name in it and recorded family births and deaths going back to the mid-1700s. I have also scanned these pages and posted them on ancestry.com for everyone to use, but it's actually kind of risky to that. Do you know how many threats I have received from distant cousins who are either jeolous or crazy and want to get their hands on that Bible?[/quote]

My husband's family came to America 17 years after the Mayflower. I spent over thirty years tracking down a family book (not a bible but a genealogy book written by a relative of my husband in 1880) and a packet of letters and other documents. The books & other items had been handed down from eldest son to eldest son for almost 100 years.

I was at a family dinner in 1977 when the current "eldest son" (the brother of my husband's grandfather) said to his brother (my husband's grandfather), "My daughters are interested in genealogy so they are reading the materials right now but since they are married and aren't "family last name" I'll make sure that you get everything back for your son and grandson (my husband)".

Well, that generation passed away without getting the information back to someone with the "family last name". Everyone heard about the book but no one claimed to have it.
I called and searched and asked around no one even know what state the "daughters" lived in let alone their married names (no one was really interested in genealogy in my husband's immediate family). Another fifteen years passed and my husband's father died (without ever even seeing the famous family book and documents).

My son & daughter and I decided that we would track everything down no matter how long it took. We found the names of the "daughters" and it turned out that one of them had given all of the information to their daughter. It took five years of corresponding, cajoling and (almost) threatening before the "family last name" book and materials were back with someone with "family last name". Since my husband has a son and soon a grandson we won't have to go through that hassle again (or at least for a long, long time).

I think the only reason that my son & husband got the materials back was because several of us heard with our own ears the comment from their father/grandfather AND I had several photographs that were taken that day that proved all of us were really together that day in 1977.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-04-2013 at 05:56 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 PM

29,633 posts, read 31,957,040 times
I've used Ancestory a few times but had to build my tree from scratch since I couldn't find much info on anyone. Later, a cousin started doing the same thing and emailed me to get some info, unaware of who I was. His tree was a mess with misspelled names, wrong dates, etc. Unfortunately I've hit a wall and nobody on Ancestry seems to have any other branches leading to it but me. Shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy