U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 06:43 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,004,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post

Has anyone ever come across inaccurate family tree charts on their searches?
I started laughing just at reading your header

Have I come across inaccuracies? Definitely.

When I first started on Ancestry, it was like "oh wow! My g-g-g grandpa was John Walker! I didn't know that! This is neat stuff!" As the weeks passed, and I began to patiently construct my tree, I compared it to others for what I thought was verification. That's when I began to notice some very egregious discrepancies. Back then, I would startle Spouse out of his easy chair with loud squawking "you gotta be effin' kidding me! look at this crap! how in the sam hill could this person have been a mother to this fellow? she died before he was born! can't these people DO MATH!?!?! or READ!"

Oh, it was painful. I never left comments on those trees, or contacted the people, but I did leave a few snarky notes on my tree "SOME people think that Millie May Buckleworth is the mother of Farkus Buttahface, but if you look at the death certificate I PAID FOR and the cemetery records that are easy to find if certain people would take 5 minutes to search, you see that they are absolutely wrong-o."

These days, I barely even look at the other trees. Most of my research is conducted as if I am the first person to take an interest in that family line. And I do my very best to list all the sources. That way, other people who want the information, but don't want to do the same research, won't end up with corrupted information that gets spread around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 PM

34,563 posts, read 42,724,437 times
My husband's family had always thought they were related to a Revolutionary War General. His Great Aunt spent many years corresponding with places in New England trying to put the family tree together. I think she wanted into the DAR.

Fast forward to the mid 2000s and I took on the task of looking things up online at Ancestry. There is no connection to the famous general, although the family does seem to go back to the Rev. War.

My point is, that Ancestry is a wonderful resource. However, if you allow others to access your records, there will be some who will swear that what Aunt Minnie said is true, and the documented items you post are not. I am very careful to not go on lore, but only documented fact. Others can do what they want, but each person should do their own research.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:09 PM

26,853 posts, read 57,874,473 times
What do you call deliberate inaccuracies?
When one or some siblings and their entire lines just aren't included?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:28 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,004,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What do you call deliberate inaccuracies?
When one or some siblings and their entire lines just aren't included?
My family

Sorry, but there are people in my family who, if they were to construct a tree, would use the application as a malicious tool

Stuff like that can be head scratchers. I've come across a number of obituaries where a sibling - even a parent - is not listed. I'd regard it as a curiosity, but would not allow some unknown injury or squabble to influence how I construct my tree. And not just that; I've come across census records where it is apparent that a parent has died or there has been a divorce, and the last name of the children changed from one enumeration to the next. It's not likely that the new father adopted the kids, just that they took his name. That can make a mess of the genetic connections, so I attach the census, but leave the last name of the children as the surname of their alleged birth father.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 PM
bjh

26,094 posts, read 22,785,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
That's better. I thought it stood for What **** The.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 PM
bjh

26,094 posts, read 22,785,932 times
As others have said, YES, this is an unfortunate problem since some people don't care about inaccuracies. And these things sometimes meld into what people WANT to believe.

I recently had someone contact me on one of the DNA sites that matched us as distant cousins. He was trying to use surnames in our shared background in a family tree. I had to explain the different continents and centuries the families he was trying to put together lived in.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:53 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,037,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
That's better. I thought it stood for What **** The.
Well, if the shoe fits ....

Actually, it's a "function" of the program. If you don't have a date, it makes one up for you. And it's such a ridiculous range, it's like ... why bother.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:25 AM

11,430 posts, read 19,443,622 times
Susan -- Oh yeah. Holy cow -- I have a great great grandmother who many INSIST was married at 13. Why? Because they were from the hills, and every one knows they married off girls at 13 back then.

EXCEPT -- a number of the people that accepted this nonfact FOUND HER, UNMARRIED, in the 1870 census. Just like I did. And I found her soon to be husband, in a boarding house in the same area. UNMARRIED.

And in the 1910 census -- I can't find her. I've gone page by page... But THEY found her. Oh yes -- They found her in the same county, living with a different man, who SURPRISE SURPRISE! Had her maiden name. Let's see -- a woman marries and takes her husband's name, he dies, she remarries and takes her second husband's name, he dies -- she keeps his name.... she doesn't go back to her maiden name and move in with some guy.

Second time I've run into that -- my husband's family -- in order to fill in a blank on Mary Smith, they found a Mary Smith in the right census in the right county to plug in the database..... Except Mary Smith had married John Sawyer and was married to John Sawyer for 50 years...

But as bad as that is.... I believe my great grandmother died sometime around 1895/96, and was buried. Her husband remarried and died in 1909. He was buried next to her.... and THEN they got her headstone. And it appeared no one remembered the dates.... because they gave her his.

How sad is that? Her headstone is WRONG. And I have no way of knowing the real dates to get it fixed. State didn't do death certs until 1906, and the county has no record of her death.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:00 AM

16,483 posts, read 15,923,785 times
[quote=germaine2626;29872783]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
I would question that as a source unless the person who owns the Bible has scanned the pages and uploaded them to ancestry.com. I have been fortunate in that one of my distant cousins does own a family Bible from the 1790's that includes family records back to the early 1700's. She has scanned the pages of the Bible and has shared them with everyone on ancestry.com. I consider them legit since there is another family Bible in existence that corroborates the info found in her Bible. The second family Bible is owned by the South Carolina state archives. The distant cousin who owned the second Bible was the governor of South Carolina during the Civil War.

I also personally own another family Bible from another branch of the family that dates back to July 1833. My 5th great-grandfather inscribed his name in it and recorded family births and deaths going back to the mid-1700s. I have also scanned these pages and posted them on ancestry.com for everyone to use, but it's actually kind of risky to that. Do you know how many threats I have received from distant cousins who are either jeolous or crazy and want to get their hands on that Bible?[/quote]

My husband's family came to America 17 years after the Mayflower. I spent over thirty years tracking down a family book (not a bible but a genealogy book written by a relative of my husband in 1880) and a packet of letters and other documents. The books & other items had been handed down from eldest son to eldest son for almost 100 years.

I was at a family dinner in 1977 when the current "eldest son" (the brother of my husband's grandfather) said to his brother (my husband's grandfather), "My daughters are interested in genealogy so they are reading the materials right now but since they are married and aren't "family last name" I'll make sure that you get everything back for your son and grandson (my husband)".

Well, that generation passed away without getting the information back to someone with the "family last name". Everyone heard about the book but no one claimed to have it.
I called and searched and asked around no one even know what state the "daughters" lived in let alone their married names (no one was really interested in genealogy in my husband's immediate family). Another fifteen years passed and my husband's father died (without ever even seeing the famous family book and documents).

My son & daughter and I decided that we would track everything down no matter how long it took. We found the names of the "daughters" and it turned out that one of them had given all of the information to their daughter. It took five years of corresponding, cajoling and (almost) threatening before the "family last name" book and materials were back with someone with "family last name". Since my husband has a son and soon a grandson we won't have to go through that hassle again (or at least for a long, long time).

I think the only reason that my son & husband got the materials back was because several of us heard with our own ears the comment from their father/grandfather AND I had several photographs that were taken that day that proved all of us were really together that day in 1977.
I'm sorry that I was off the thread topic. But the poster telling about how distant cousins keep wanted to get the family Bible jogged my memory about how hard it was to get something that rightfully belonged to my husband and the direct male descendants.

RDM, hang on tight!

Old 06-05-2013, 07:31 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,567,535 times
The ones that always get me are when they have a woman's birth date, and then by age 10 she supposedly had three kids. Or of course the already mentioned ones where the person dies before their child was supposedly born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy