U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 PM

479 posts, read 335,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie County Fan View Post
Competing? That's the first time I've seen the issue described that way. That's interesting.
Oh yes, there is competition on ancestry.com. I have a distant cousin who thinks that genealogy is a blood sport. Since she has been doing it for about 10 years, she thinks everyone in the family should bow down to her and kiss her hiney. However, her tree is a wreck and full of problems, including inaccurate information. I have actually blocked this woman, even though she's a third cousin. I can't stand her.

Not to brag, but my tree is 10 times better and more accurate than her tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 01:56 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,033,610 times
Thanks suzy_q2010 and cdnirene. You presented further answers that are what I needed.

Cdnirene, when you took the online info from the public tree, did you use the method that suzy_q2010 suggested, which is asking the author to send a GEDCOM? Is getting a GEDCOM the way to transfer info from a public tree into your own tree?

If I get this figured out, I hope I can be helpful to the next person down the road who wonders similar things, as you've all been to me.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:02 AM

3,675 posts, read 2,482,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Cdnirene, when you took the online info from the public tree, did you use the method that suzy_q2010 suggested, which is asking the author to send a GEDCOM? Is getting a GEDCOM the way to transfer info from a public tree into your own tree?
Actually, I prefer the old-fashioned way. I re-typed the information. It was a personal preference. It was a way of studying the tree in-depth. The tree wasn't that large and I've had a lot of practice working with multiple screens. I think it took 3 or 4 hours.

However there is a quicker way. Create a new tree and start off by picking a profile from the public tree of someone who has parents and children. Manually duplicate the profile in the private tree you have created. Ancestry should recognize that the profile is a match to the public tree and an Ancestry Hint (shaking leaf) should pop up. Click on the hint and select the public tree. A screen will appear which will show two columns - your tree profile plus the public tree profile. Below the public tree profile, will be data for the parents and children. Accept everything. So, by typing only one profile manually, you're able to copy the data from several profiles into your tree. Now go to each of the profiles in your new tree to make sure everything makes sense and to see if there are any new Ancestry Hints. Also compare the profiles with the the public tree profiles for additional information to copy.

If you want to download your new tree to software on your computer, go into "Tree Settings" and select "Export Tree" to download a GEDCOM file.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 PM

21,492 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Just looked at a tree for a person who is somewhat well known. There are pages of trees that have him dying in Germany. He died in Delaware.

I can only suppose that someone thought DE stands for Deutschland.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:49 PM
bjh

26,094 posts, read 22,780,245 times
^
You're probably right.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:24 AM

479 posts, read 335,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Just looked at a tree for a person who is somewhat well known. There are pages of trees that have him dying in Germany. He died in Delaware.

I can only suppose that someone thought DE stands for Deutschland.
I’m related by a few degrees of separation to famous living person. One of my second cousins married William Columbus Limbaugh, the uncle of Rush Limbaugh. (My second cousin was Rush Limbaugh’s aunt and I share a line of Limbaugh cousins with him.) I’ve thought about adding Rush Limbaugh to my tree and putting “Alive, unfortunately” under his death information. :-)

Old 06-13-2013, 05:06 PM

9,065 posts, read 9,221,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Has anyone ever come across inaccurate family tree charts on their searches? I think one needs to be particularly careful of ones on Ancestry.com.
So one really has to be careful and double check things before listing people on their charts. .
John Jacob Altman is one of the earliest Alsatians to come to America in 1749, and is in thousands of family trees.

JACOB ALTMAN was born February 9, 1699/00 in Werstemburg Wagsau Germany Alsace Loraine or Ormingen or Keskastel, and died March 20, 1775 in Northampton County, Pennsylvania.
He married ANNA MARIA EISENMANN February 22, 1723/24 in Herbitzheim Germany. She was born February 17, 1700/01 in Herbitzheim, Nassau-Saarwerden, Germany, Alsace Loraine Switzerland, and died March 20, 1775 in Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania.

I went to the cemetery (founded 1762) and saw the tombstones (they are both barely legible). Furthermore they are 50' apart and in different rows with his obviously in an earlier row. He clearly died earlier, and some web pages list his death as 1773.

It may be a small point, but the error is reproduced on hundreds of websites.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 PM

9,065 posts, read 9,221,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Oh yes, there is competition on ancestry.com...everyone in the family should bow down to her and kiss her hiney...
Very entertaining post. One of the funniest I've seen.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:35 PM

455 posts, read 840,077 times
Gustave Anjou got into at least four of my lines. I started my search on the LDS site and I'm still sorting out the bad links. Ancestry.com evidently has a bunch of bad trees based on his scams. Family Chronicle - Fraudulent Genealogies

Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 PM

21,492 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
John Jacob Altman is one of the earliest Alsatians to come to America in 1749, and is in thousands of family trees.

JACOB ALTMAN was born February 9, 1699/00 in Werstemburg Wagsau Germany Alsace Loraine or Ormingen or Keskastel, and died March 20, 1775 in Northampton County, Pennsylvania.
He married ANNA MARIA EISENMANN February 22, 1723/24 in Herbitzheim Germany. She was born February 17, 1700/01 in Herbitzheim, Nassau-Saarwerden, Germany, Alsace Loraine Switzerland, and died March 20, 1775 in Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania.

I went to the cemetery (founded 1762) and saw the tombstones (they are both barely legible). Furthermore they are 50' apart and in different rows with his obviously in an earlier row. He clearly died earlier, and some web pages list his death as 1773.

It may be a small point, but the error is reproduced on hundreds of websites.
I have a similar situation, with husband and wife having simple headstones that were obviously created at the same time. The husband's date of death on the stone is Feb 1880. However, he was alive in June 1880 at the time of the census. I was able to find his obituary, and he died in Jan 1883. His wife died in 1887. I wonder if his children did not remember the date or if the stonemason just goofed.

I have another couple who cannot be found after the 1870 census. There is a memorial for them on Find A Grave listing burials in a cemetery in Calhoun County, AL, with dates of death. I looked in the cemetery personally, and I could not find them. I do not think they are there, and I do not know where the dates came from. The person who set up the memorial did not respond to my email, of course. Now the dates are proliferating on Ancestry.com.

My father's date of death on his headstone is off by one day. My brother gave the wrong date when he ordered the stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy