U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:00 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,658,700 times

Advertisements

Getting records digitized is a pet project of mine. I have my particular venue - the Caribbean - that I focus on for 1/2 my family. When the PRO [Public Record Office] in the UK began digitizing wills and other records, then allowing you to download pdf's [originally it was abt 3], I could see it's potential - and as the cost of scanning and converting old records went down a group of us lobbied for years to get it done, submitting proposals for financing, technology, etc. We finally got tentative approval from 1 government and had some test records done last summer. Still a lot of red tape though.

Anyway - though the records in the US are not generally in as poor physical condition nor under as great a threat of destruction from climate etc, I would encourage online researchers to connect with others in their areas of research and work toward getting more records digitized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:55 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,094 posts, read 22,785,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I use the internet for research for gems about my family. The actual research is in library, courthouse, church, cemetery records, newspaper morgue.

I take little that I find on the internet as fact because most is not.
Depends. If its opinions, could well be wrong. But there are millions of factual records like the census and BMD data.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 885 times
Thumbs up How did you get this done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Getting records digitized is a pet project of mine. I have my particular venue - the Caribbean - that I focus on for 1/2 my family. When the PRO [Public Record Office] in the UK began digitizing wills and other records, then allowing you to download pdf's [originally it was abt 3], I could see it's potential - and as the cost of scanning and converting old records went down a group of us lobbied for years to get it done, submitting proposals for financing, technology, etc. We finally got tentative approval from 1 government and had some test records done last summer.
What did you need to do to get this done? How did you go about it?

Old 07-07-2013, 10:37 AM

873 posts, read 864,951 times
I would say 80% online, but my biggest and best 20% "finds" have been at the courthouses and Natl Archives in Wash DC. Rally glad I went to the Archives.

I found original wedding certs and other important clues in Civil War pension papers. These are coming online now, but my relative's docs were mixed in with other soldier papers.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
I would say 80% online, but my biggest and best 20% "finds" have been at the courthouses and Natl Archives in Wash DC. Rally glad I went to the Archives.

I found original wedding certs and other important clues in Civil War pension papers. These are coming online now, but my relative's docs were mixed in with other soldier papers.
Individual records are becoming available?

I did a Google search. This is what was under News for "nara civil war records online" : genealogy.about.com/b/2013/06/30/archive-treasures-online.htm

Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 AM

8,221 posts, read 12,809,728 times
Living in the UK at the moment and only having a couple English branches means most of my research is online. When I do go offline, I have to get records sent to my mom back in PA and then she has to scan them for me. Or when I'm visiting my parents, my mom and I make trips to cemeteries but that's only once a year if I'm lucky. So it's not easy doing offline research right now. But we have plans to move back to the PA area so hopefully it won't be as difficult in the future!

Old 07-08-2013, 04:51 AM

183,885 posts, read 74,980,809 times
Nothing. I'm going to bum records from my cousin. She went all the way to Salt Lake City to get records. I'll buy the software and just plug in her file. I got things to do that she can't. I'll trade.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:31 AM

697 posts, read 856,949 times
Online databases for searching records (and pictures of some of them) have been a God-send and I use them often to try and find what I am looking for. A great deal can even be found in Google books and archive. org ---However, I also use a lot of off-line resources (ie archives, books, microfilms, paper records at court house, etc.) when needed and I have the time and means to get there. Also, like someone said citing sources of things found online can be troublesome. I never, ever rely on public family trees beyond using it as a very casual guide on occasion. So much misinformation, etc. There are entire articles on the pitfalls of public member trees.

I know online resources are growing fast but I would still say that what is available online is just a tip of the iceberg so to speak....so much more is to be found in the archives, libraries, court houses, etc and a good researcher will of course utilize both.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
Online databases for searching records (and pictures of some of them) have been a God-send and I use them often to try and find what I am looking for. A great deal can even be found in Google books and archive. org ---However, I also use a lot of off-line resources (ie archives, books, microfilms, paper records at court house, etc.) when needed and I have the time and means to get there. Also, like someone said citing sources of things found online can be troublesome. I never, ever rely on public family trees beyond using it as a very casual guide on occasion. So much misinformation, etc. There are entire articles on the pitfalls of public member trees.

I know online resources are growing fast but I would still say that what is available online is just a tip of the iceberg so to speak....so much more is to be found in the archives, libraries, court houses, etc and a good researcher will of course utilize both.
Agreed. There is still more information offline than digital.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 PM

873 posts, read 864,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Individual records are becoming available?

I did a Google search. This is what was under News for "nara civil war records online" : genealogy.about.com/b/2013/06/30/archive-treasures-online.htm
Yes indeed, many different types of military records are on Fold3.com. Still, holding the genuine record in my (gloved) hands at the Natl Archives was 10x more amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy