U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:12 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,058 posts, read 22,780,245 times

Advertisements

At this point due to time restrictions the vast majority of my genealogical research is digital or online.

But there's still a lot of things that haven't been digitized or put on the internet.

Right now I'm at 90% digital to 10% offline, ie books, microfilm, etc. If I have the time I'll do more offline searching in the future.

What types of searching are you doing right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 02:37 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,657,871 times
I'd say about 60 online, 40 'real'; It really depends on where I'm researching. The US is has really jumped on the online bandwagon, as well as the UK. Other places, not. I still depend on a network of researchers in certain locations, books, etc. Still send off for death certificates. Still depend heavily on wills and deeds.

I love the online expansion, but in most cases it is just vital records - which are very helpful; but for documentation of any 'iffy' stuff, I need other documents.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:52 PM

21,482 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Fortunately, I live not terribly far from some of the courthouses that have records on my ancestors, so I have been able to look at original documents. The most fun has been estate records. I find it amusing that feather beds were considered dear enough to be mentioned in wills, though I suspect that it took a lot of time and labor to collect the feathers and produce the bed. My grandmother had one, and I never asked where she got it. I liked to sleep on (? in) it when I visited. It was eventually made into pillows, and I remember when that was done. Escaped feathers were everywhere!

I've also visited plenty of cemeteries. A personal visit to a grave was instrumental in knocking down the one brick wall I can personally take credit for.

Our hometown library has a small genealogy collection and a helpful librarian, so I have spent some time there.

The Georgia Archives are another source. They have many records on microfilm.

I stopped buying lineage books when I realized that usually only a few pages were pertinent to my family.

However, my most valuable sources have been the cousins I've met through the internet.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:30 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,087,640 times
I have a wonderful source of hard copy documents. A friend is writing a book on a railroad that ran through "my country" and he spends several days each month in the state archives. Although my families were not associated with the RR, any time he sees one of my family names he makes a copy and mails it to me. The last one he sent was about my great uncle who was a physician. I had written a bio on Uncle Joe but was never able to find where he received his medical training. The document my friend sent gave all that info.

Suzy - I well remember the feather beds, and helped my granny pick feathers for the beds and pillows. When we had chicken for a meal we would pick the "soft" feathers from the chicken and save them in a flower sack. Each spring when the chickens were beginning to shed their feathers, we would pick the "soft" feathers from the live chicken and again save them in a flower sack. That continued over a long period of time until enough feathers were accumulated to make whatever was needed. Wow! That was so long ago - and the memories start flowing back. Wonderful memories!

Old 06-10-2013, 01:15 AM

479 posts, read 335,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
At this point due to time restrictions the vast majority of my genealogical research is digital or online.

But there's still a lot of things that haven't been digitized or put on the internet.

Right now I'm at 90% digital to 10% offline, ie books, microfilm, etc. If I have the time I'll do more offline searching in the future.

What types of searching are you doing right now?

Like you probably 90% of my research has been online and the rest has been physical, hands-on research. The internet has made genealogical research so much easier to do. But I don't have a good excuse for not trying to do more offline research. I practically have one of the largest genealogical libraries in the U.S. in my backyard.

The Midwest Genealogy Center
About the Midwest Genealogy Center | mymcpl.org - Mid-Continent Public Library

The Midwest Genealogy Center was created about 7 years ago when the Independence branch of the Mormon Church donated their entire genealogical library to my local library system, which already had its own genealogy collection.

My local library then built a 52,000-square-foot, freestanding library devoted to nothing but genealogy. Their collection has close to one million books and reference items.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 AM

21,482 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Suzy - I well remember the feather beds, and helped my granny pick feathers for the beds and pillows. When we had chicken for a meal we would pick the "soft" feathers from the chicken and save them in a flower sack. Each spring when the chickens were beginning to shed their feathers, we would pick the "soft" feathers from the live chicken and again save them in a flower sack. That continued over a long period of time until enough feathers were accumulated to make whatever was needed. Wow! That was so long ago - and the memories start flowing back. Wonderful memories!
Great story!

I wonder how long it would take to collect enough feathers for a bed if the family were relatively large. In my tree, ten or twelve kids was not unusual.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:08 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,087,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Great story!

I wonder how long it would take to collect enough feathers for a bed if the family were relatively large. In my tree, ten or twelve kids was not unusual.
Hmmm , I hadn't thought about that . We had two beds and I don't remember ever making another matress while I was living there, so don't know. Believe it or not, nearly 80 years later, I still have, and use, one of Mamie's (granny) feather pillows. Every month or so I spray it with air freshner, tumble it on "air" in the clothes dryer and it is good as new (kinda!) .

Ooops! Guess we got off topic here. Sor' 'bout dat .

Old 06-12-2013, 12:27 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,075,396 times
The only way to make it really new is to 're-tick' it. Everyonce in a while you find a matress company that still fixes pillows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Hmmm , I hadn't thought about that . We had two beds and I don't remember ever making another matress while I was living there, so don't know. Believe it or not, nearly 80 years later, I still have, and use, one of Mamie's (granny) feather pillows. Every month or so I spray it with air freshner, tumble it on "air" in the clothes dryer and it is good as new (kinda!) .

Ooops! Guess we got off topic here. Sor' 'bout dat .

Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,075,396 times
I use the internet for research for gems about my family. The actual research is in library, courthouse, church, cemetery records, newspaper morgue.

I take little that I find on the internet as fact because most is not.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:51 PM

738 posts, read 769,898 times
At this time...about 90/10.

I AM on online researcher, so my first stop is always the internet. I guess when I relocate, I'll have to find a place that is close to a Family History Library so I can make my own copies, but for now, writing a letter to a local society and having them do the hand-searching is about as good as it gets for more 'remote' locations.

RVcook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy