Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:15 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,525,023 times

Advertisements

I stumbled across the FamilySearch forums by accident a couple of months ago: https://familysearch.org/learn/forums/en/ - It was readable then. As you can see, it's not accessible now.

The forum was shut down in December. There were a lot of unhappy people posting about the decision before the shutdown.

BJH:

- If you click on Search from the top menu on FamilySearch main page, you'll see a submenu which includes "Wiki". I believe Wiki was added only recently to the submenu.

- In the same submenu you will see "Genealogies". Click on that to search the old Ancestral File and the Pedigree Resource File.

- To see the new Family Tree, you need to be signed in to FamilySearch. Then, just click "Family Tree" from the top menu on the FamilySearch main page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 01:22 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
^
Thanks cdnirene

Here we go with the link to the family pedigree files: https://familysearch.org/family-trees

Old 06-16-2013, 01:38 PM

I wonder how many people realize when they are on the main Search Page ( https://familysearch.org/search ) that they need to scroll down that page to access links to collections categorized by region of the world. That's important to be able to find because there are many online collections available for viewing which are not yet indexed i.e. they cannot be searched on the search page, etc. but can be browsed image by image.

It certainly took me a while to realize that I needed to scroll down.

It's stupid design. The collections links should be on a separate page or, at the very least, there should be a descriptive link at the top of the page which causes the page to scroll down.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:11 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,091 times
Maybe these threads should be merged ? There is a load of stuff on the site, when you can find it. Because I was doing volunteer indexing, I am on an email list which was how I found some things -- like the raw un-indexed films for some collections. I did use the forums while indexing, and was disappointed when they were closed.

I'm not a 'schill' for Family Search, but I am for "free genealogy". I think FamilySearch is an excellent free resource, and some additional wiki contributors, indexers etc. can't hurt. One of the reasons I started with the tree thing.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
"[quote=cdnirene;30047852]I wonder how many people realize when they are on the main Search Page ( https://familysearch.org/search ) that they need to scroll down that page to access links to collections categorized by region of the world. That's important to be able to find because there are many online collections available for viewing which are not yet indexed i.e. they cannot be searched on the search page, etc. but can be browsed image by image."

^ I stumbled onto that last year and boy have I found some good stuff. I have browsed for hours, even days. It's been well worth it for those hard to find ancestors. Some of the county volumes/books aren't indexed and some are a real mess, but they can be a real gold mine.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:18 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I wonder how many people realize when they are on the main Search Page ( https://familysearch.org/search ) that they need to scroll down that page to access links to collections categorized by region of the world. That's important to be able to find because there are many online collections available for viewing which are not yet indexed i.e. they cannot be searched on the search page, etc. but can be browsed image by image.

It certainly took me a while to realize that I needed to scroll down.

It's stupid design. The collections links should be on a separate page or, at the very least, there should be a descriptive link at the top of the page which causes the page to scroll down.
I posted a link to the surname maps weeks ago and didn't realize until today that it is part of their wiki. Either they're stupid or I am.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 PM

I had a very positive experience phoning the FamilySearch long distance help line yesterday.

I had created a lengthy story in the Tree and tagged several individuals who appeared in the story so that the story would appear in the story tab of each person's profile. However, I accidentally tagged one person who should not have been tagged and could see no way to untag her.

I phoned FamilySearch about the problem and gave the support person temporary access to my computer so he could see what I was seeing. He later emailed to say that he had duplicated the problem and contacted the engineers.

I just received another e-mail from the guy to say the issue has been solved. An option was added to remove tags from a story. It took about 24 hours from my phone call yesterday to the support person to when I was advised today that the the new feature was added to the Tree for everyone to use.

I'm impressed.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:45 PM
bjh

^
Yes, they do have good customer service. At different times I've contacted them by phone and by chat.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
I have my problems with the LDS, but their usefulness and scope overrule any philosophical differences. I also believe they will be around forEVER, will not be sold to a commercial enterprise.

I have transcribed for them[and been mightily frustrated with that] but in general I appreciate them as a resource.

So they have a tree function now and I stuck my toe in. It is time consuming and sometimes clunky, especially in attempting to correct transcription and relationship errors which some overeager family historian has made. It is fairly easy to attach sources from their records.

Has anyone else given it a try, and what do you think about it?
I just started working on mine today. I am having problems with duplicates that were unintentional, and now my Grandma is listed with the wrong death date (wrong year) and I don't know how to fix it. When I tried to fix it I ended up with a duplicate entry for her. I also found my paternal Grandma with all her info correct but her place of death in the wrong state, and again I don't know how to fix these things when I find them.

I am confused in general but I cannot afford Ancestry so I am trying to learn to use this instead.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
and now my Grandma is listed with the wrong death date (wrong year) and I don't know how to fix it.
Click on the wrong death date. Then look to the line above the date of death which says "Death" and move your eye along that line to the right. You will see 3 words - Edit Delete Close.

Click on Edit. Now you can change the date and/or place of death. When you have made the change, look a few lines below until you see a button called "Save". Click on that.

As far as the unintentional duplicates are concerned, you can send me a direct message (click on my name at the top of this post) with links to the duplicate profiles and I'll fix them for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy