U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:34 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,658,278 times

Advertisements

I have my problems with the LDS, but their usefulness and scope overrule any philosophical differences. I also believe they will be around forEVER, will not be sold to a commercial enterprise.

I have transcribed for them[and been mightily frustrated with that] but in general I appreciate them as a resource.

So they have a tree function now and I stuck my toe in. It is time consuming and sometimes clunky, especially in attempting to correct transcription and relationship errors which some overeager family historian has made. It is fairly easy to attach sources from their records.

Has anyone else given it a try, and what do you think about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 PM
bjh

26,094 posts, read 22,780,245 times
I've not built a tree on there, if that's what you're asking.

Imo the newer system is less reliable in some ways than the old one. They had some really good family trees I got good leads from years ago. Just not the same now.

Last edited by bjh; 06-13-2013 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-14-2013, 10:48 AM

3,675 posts, read 2,482,456 times
I recently posted about my experience with the Family Search Tree in another thread. Here's my post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/29899158-post43.html

It's early days and I've noticed changes being made over the past two months, such as adding the ability to delete a person. I think the tree has great potential though.

I'm really looking forward to one new feature in the works which is the ability to be able to see if anyone has cited a specific FamilySearch online historical record and to be able to click on a link which leads directly to the Family Tree profile which contains the citation.

Last edited by cdnirene; 06-14-2013 at 11:03 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 PM

I found the newer Family Search to be --- less user friendly. But because I depend on it for a lot of overseas records, whatever changes they make, I feel compelled to find a way to use/find them.

ALMOST everything that was there is still there; it's just not intuitively designed. Personally I loved the old IGI. It took a while for them to bring it over to the new site. I think, from the transcription projects they have, that they were trying to re-transcribe it. Wasn't happy with that. The old user submitted genealogies are there too.

The new tree function also allows you to merge people - - but even after reading a bunch of the blogs etc - I'm not clear on whether this is some collaborative effort, my personal tree, --- I don't know. A bunch of unanswered questions.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:25 PM
bjh

^
I'm not sure how to find the old family trees. I agree on the IGI and the site generally. The usability has decreased for me.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:29 PM

3,675 posts, read 2,482,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
The new tree function also allows you to merge people - - but even after reading a bunch of the blogs etc - I'm not clear on whether this is some collaborative effort, my personal tree, --- I don't know.
It's a collaborative effort to create one world tree. You start off by creating a profile for yourself - I just used my username and no further info. Then start to add your father or mother by listing name and birth information. The "software" will automatically do a search to see if it can find an existing matching profile in the tree. It may offer you some possibilities, but if none of them fit, just click the ADD button. You are flipped back to the form screen to indicate whether the person is alive or deceased and if deceased, you can enter death information. Then a profile is created.

You keep creating profiles this way until you're able to link up to an existing profile.

The process of creating profiles is the same when you add siblings or children.

My experience has been that often the FS "software" doesn't find a duplicate profile that exists. So I've ended up creating duplicate profiles. I discover this later on when I'm working adding profiles for the children and discover a profile for the child I'm trying to add already exists and that the child's parents are duplicates of profiles I've just created. So, I have to merge the duplicate parents.

Sometimes, when you add more information to a profile such as a marriage, the FS "software" has an easier time finding a duplicate profile. For that reason, after I've added new information, I always re-check for duplicates by clicking on "Possible Duplicates" in the profile.

Sometimes, you'll find several duplicates of the same person. For example, in a number of villages where by ancestors were born in Europe, FamilySearch created profiles based solely on historical birth records in its collection. Thus for each birth record, they created a child profile and a profile for each parents. So, if the parents had 5 children, there were 4 duplicate profiles of the mother and 4 duplicate profiles of the father created.

Merging is really tricky. I've merged hundreds of profiles so far and I'm still rather nervous doing it.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:20 PM

17,990 posts, read 17,140,226 times
Makes me feel tired just reading about it. I've found so many errors in the past that I just don't go there anymore. The fact that it will never be sold has its appeal though--with Ancestry you never know what could happen. Ancestry has lots of errors too but you don't normally use others' information as your source. On the LDS site the purpose was to look things up--and most of the time it was wrong.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:14 PM

I seldom used it to look up the user submitted genealogies, though one aunt of mine became a Mormon and submitted her family - I used that as a reference and found her info to be accurate. She must have spent years looking at films in her local FH library! Years later I confirmed them with actual church records in Germany. Wish I had had them when I was living there....... but as sources I only use the transcribed films, and add in books etc.

There are lots of references available on the Wiki's, including links to digital books on other sites, private collections etc - but even finding the Wiki's and forums is difficult. Again, the site is not user friendly!

Most of the errors in the records there, aside from pedigree resource files, are errors in transcription. This was a problem for me when indexing records recently. I'm very familiar with both the format, handwriting, and conventions as well as names etc of the records I was transcribing having done extensive research from the originals. It was apparent the arbitrators and those who wrote the guidelines weren't. Very frustrating, and I basically stopped indexing them and went to the US census instead, rather than make them really difficult for someone to search.

The merge function in the tree is really cumbersome. I literally spent hours following instructions to add duplicates and then merge them. I felt like I was cleaning up their records for them and correcting transcription errors - the same guy with different spelling so many times - ugh. That said, somewhere in the back of my head I keep saying "If I do it right, it will always be around, free, for someone who needs it".

Old 06-16-2013, 12:43 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
I seldom used it to look up the user submitted genealogies, though one aunt of mine became a Mormon and submitted her family - I used that as a reference and found her info to be accurate. She must have spent years looking at films in her local FH library! Years later I confirmed them with actual church records in Germany. Wish I had had them when I was living there....... but as sources I only use the transcribed films, and add in books etc.

There are lots of references available on the Wiki's, including links to digital books on other sites, private collections etc - but even finding the Wiki's and forums is difficult. Again, the site is not user friendly!

Hey, I just posted a thread about their wikis! I only found it yesterday by random on a Google search and I've been on that site for years. They have forums, too? Let me see if I can find a link. Do you have a link for their family trees? They may call them 'pedigrees.'

Old 06-16-2013, 12:50 PM
bjh

This is under "Discussion," but if it's a forum it's not very functional:

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Talk:Main_Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy