U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 06:02 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,041 posts, read 22,775,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Written out as Thomas makes sense. I do remember someone in my long ago past being named Thos (pronounced Thahs) but probably was a nickname.
That's unusual. But I've wondered if Chas as a nickname for Charles might have come from the abbreviation since it's not strictly the first few letters of the name, unlike Jos as a nickname for Joseph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 01:15 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,009,104 times
Default surname Klir!

I found an additional Czech surname Klir!

Old 11-28-2013, 11:44 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,518,037 times
I had two discoveries, and one of them is embarrassing to admit. I am over 60, raised by my biological parents, and just last year I learned my mother's real maiden name!! I always thought it was Silva. When I found out differently I called one of my brothers who had the same misconception. So SOMETHING gave us both the wrong idea, and I could swear that Mom may have even told me it was Silva at some time or other. Very strange.

The other discovery is finding out that my grandfather was a logger here in Oregon in the late 1800's. He immigrated to the US from the Azores and worked the forests with a German, an Irishman, and another European. Eventually he established his own dairy farm in Central California. When my father was a toddler he moved the family back to the Azores. When my dad hit a certain age ~ 18 or so ~ his father told him he was sending him to the states because he had opportunity here. So my dad settled close to the same community he was born in. Apparently I was never told these kinds of family stories while growing up.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
I have discovered why checking ancestry occasionally is good, even if you haven't added anything. Someone on Finda grave has added my grandfathers second wife, including her maiden name. I found out that while almost the whole family who came to California are buried in the same place, he and his second wife are buried alone in a different one. But now she has a full name. I know she was born in Kentucky so with a name and place more can be found.

Still waiting for a hit on the maybe g grandfather I decided to list with a note that this was the claim of my mother and grandmother, who would be his daughter.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:13 PM

9,652 posts, read 7,629,801 times
I found some very interesting information in the newspapers and professional journals included on the "documenting America" site. I went to the publications linked to the states in which my family lived in previous generations, typed in a couple of names - bingo! Especially interesting was an autobiographical sketch by my grandmother's uncle, about whom I previously knew very little other than his name. He wrote about childhood experiences which influenced his choice of a career, early schooling at home and later in a log cabin, assisting with his father's professional work, and more.

There was also an article describing a party given by a grandparent around 1917, including the decorations in the house - the same house where my grandparent always lived, and which I remember very distinctly (sadly, the house is gone now).

I even found the photocopy of the newspaper's social notes section which included the account of my grandparents' wedding. I had the column itself, cut out long ago - but how neat to put it into context, and to see what else was going on in that time and place.

Things like this help bring to life personalities from the past, and go way beyond "the begats" which sometimes tend to dominate family trees.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:43 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,353,589 times
I found out that my 4th cousin's however many great grandmother was hung as a witch at salem

Old 12-05-2013, 05:14 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,041 posts, read 22,775,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I found out that my 4th cousin's however many great grandmother was hung as a witch at salem
Sorry to hear that. Genealogy is not always happy stuff, but it's often interesting.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:13 AM

3,491 posts, read 5,353,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Sorry to hear that. Genealogy is not always happy stuff, but it's often interesting.
Thank you.I think its interesting too.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,154,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I had two discoveries, and one of them is embarrassing to admit. I am over 60, raised by my biological parents, and just last year I learned my mother's real maiden name!! I always thought it was Silva. When I found out differently I called one of my brothers who had the same misconception. So SOMETHING gave us both the wrong idea, and I could swear that Mom may have even told me it was Silva at some time or other. Very strange.
Are there Silvas somewhere else in the family too?

I've wondered why this happens too. My great-great-grandmother's children list two different maiden names for her on their marriage licenses and their birth records (both delayed and contemporary). In at least one case the second surname was crossed out and the first surname written over it.

One is the name listed on her death certificate; unfortunately it has never been spelled the same way twice on records so I'm not entirely sure what the name is (Pry, Prine, Perine, etc). The other surname was listed on her death certificate as her mother's maiden name, and is the surname used by a woman records say is the aunt of great-great-grandmother's daughter. (Confused yet?)

I'm thinking either g-g-grandma was raised by her grandparents, or her mother remarried and had daughter 2 and g-g-grandma sometimes went by stepfather's surname. Cannot find the girls in the censuses until after their marriages. Sigh.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:24 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
It's special when you have a connection to history. I discovered that my great grandfather was born in 1859 in Missouri. His family was among those in the first county to have Order 11 applied to, which was the Union order issued in Missouri which depopulated any county with continued fighting, regardless of side, and a scorched earth policy applied. It makes the whole mess Missouri became a lot more real if your connected only a few generations back.

Ironically after they returned after the war, living in Illinious as many refugees did of both allegiences, they settled in another county also having Order 11 applied, but did not attempt to reclaim their land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy