U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 04:26 PM

10,494 posts, read 10,080,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
At an average of 30 years per generation, that would be over 3000 years. Considering the lack of written records through much of that time, how did you document that far back? Surnames are a relatively new convention (about 1300). Even royal pedigrees would be difficult to prove over that many generations.

well I can tell you one thing it was not easy. I did most of my research through Ancestry.com but I don't always trust everything that ancestry puts out there, so everything after a certain date I would go and double and triple check to verify the information that I got and if one little thing did not add up, I would not use that information,mind you it took me most 10 years to get to where I would trust any of the information I got off the Internet, but I also researched a lot of archives and I'm not a young person and I put a lot of mileage on this old body. My 102nd great-grandfather is a guy by the name of Erichthonius IIIium Acadia, born in the year 1415 B.C..... Now I know this may sound impossible but believe me I check this out every which way that could possibly be done and even then I was very skeptical about the whole thing but through very extensive research for over a year and a half this is what I finally come down to.........oh and I forgot to mention I have done two DNA tests.

Last edited by ptsum; 12-14-2013 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 15 days ago)

14,431 posts, read 16,724,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Excellent example of why it's so important to look over every detail of a document, especially the censuses.
That's how I pinned down when my grandparents were divorced. They were together in 32, at least officially. The census lists them as divorced in 35. It put the divorce probably in 33 since I remember mom saying my aunt was ten. There is a great wealth of information on those other pages.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:05 PM

21,574 posts, read 26,201,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
well I can tell you one thing it was not easy. I did most of my research through Ancestry.com but I don't always trust everything that ancestry puts out there, so everything after a certain date I would go and double and triple check to verify the information that I got and if one little thing did not add up, I would not use that information,mind you it took me most 10 years to get to where I would trust any of the information I got off the Internet, but I also researched a lot of archives and I'm not a young person and I put a lot of mileage on this old body. My 102nd great-grandfather is a guy by the name of Erichthonius IIIium Acadia, born in the year 1415 B.C..... Now I know this may sound impossible but believe me I check this out every which way that could possibly be done and even then I was very skeptical about the whole thing but through very extensive research for over a year and a half this is what I finally come down to.........oh and I forgot to mention I have done two DNA tests.

Hmm, you do realize you are talking about characters from Greek mythology, don't you?

Old 12-15-2013, 05:06 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,289 posts, read 22,824,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
That's how I pinned down when my grandparents were divorced. They were together in 32, at least officially. The census lists them as divorced in 35. It put the divorce probably in 33 since I remember mom saying my aunt was ten. There is a great wealth of information on those other pages.
Yep, it's a good idea to look over docs again every so often. Something that didn't have any context in the past or wasn't of much use at first can make a connection to another factoid discovered later.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Hmm, you do realize you are talking about characters from Greek mythology, don't you?
I've seen online trees that link our family back to the Norse god Odin and his good wife Freya.

I met someone who told me she'd traced her lineage back to Adam.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:36 AM

21,574 posts, read 26,201,545 times
https://familysearch.org/blog/en/family-tree-adam-eve/

https://familysearch.org/blog/en/fam...am-eve-part-2/

Old 12-15-2013, 12:46 PM

18,102 posts, read 17,225,507 times
A long time ago (abt 1998) I was in an online genealogy group based in the UK. I was somewhat of a newbie but many of these people were professional genealogists or at least very experienced and knowledgeable. To them it was a standing joke that anyone would claim to have been traced back to Adam and Eve.

They used to say that you usually could not get back beyond 500 years--at least in England, maybe in Europe too. There usually were no surnames and records were scant. There are rare cases where a royal or near royal family kept records so a FEW people might be able to trace themselves quite a way back.

I, too, have seen family trees that supposedly go back to someone in ancient Rome or Egypt. Those are not true but if someone really wants to believe it, no one can stop them. I'd rather stick to reality.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A long time ago (abt 1998) I was in an online genealogy group based in the UK. I was somewhat of a newbie but many of these people were professional genealogists or at least very experienced and knowledgeable. To them it was a standing joke that anyone would claim to have been traced back to Adam and Eve.

They used to say that you usually could not get back beyond 500 years--at least in England, maybe in Europe too. There usually were no surnames and records were scant. There are rare cases where a royal or near royal family kept records so a FEW people might be able to trace themselves quite a way back.

I, too, have seen family trees that supposedly go back to someone in ancient Rome or Egypt. Those are not true but if someone really wants to believe it, no one can stop them. I'd rather stick to reality.
And then there's the joke that everyone is of royal lineage. Lots of Americans who don't actually do their genealogy throw that one around, as they do non-existent native American heritage. Reminds me of reincarnationists. Everyone man was Caesar. Every woman was Cleopatra.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Yep, it's a good idea to look over docs again every so often. Something that didn't have any context in the past or wasn't of much use at first can make a connection to another factoid discovered later.
The really curious thing is on the 1940 census it first says M for married which is crossed off with a D and the word divorced written in. Then its indicated they were divorced five years before. I just wonder if it was a census takers mistake or if not what was going on in Grandma's head.

I tried to find them on the 1940 census even before it was indexed. This is the first time the divorce and remarriage is offically recorded. Since then, the brides last name has been found, and it appears that all her family and most of his are buried in the same cemitary, and grandpa and his second wife on their own in a different one.

Last edited by nightbird47; 12-15-2013 at 04:59 PM..

Old 12-15-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

When surnames began, for tax reasons, people made up one based on personal things. A lot of old names translate to son of or daughter of or someone's name of, which was the traditional norse and Anglo saxon method of assigning them. They went with occupations too, miller, smith, and so forth The ones based on names may be less common. But finding all the surnames you can and researching their meanings and origion it can give you an interesting snapshot of where you came from, if not a geneology. There was a dane who came to Britan and stayed, and when his descendents had to have a name, they used the Dane's personal name and the anglo saxon suffes of 'of'. That was one families origion in my history. You can't get details but it gives you and idea where you came from.

The whole idea that someone came from royalty is intersting, but if you do trace yourself back to someone who came early on who had some tie to nobility, its probably the third or fourth son who upon arriveal was as poor as the rest of them since excess sons to the nobility were, well, excess. The most likely origion of those who came to the colonies in the 1600's is excess pesantry, exiled rebel, convict, or swept up street person. The third and fourth sons were likely without any actual resources. Many if not most of the first immigrants came in desperation and often under involuntary circumstances. But that the ones that survived, survival at all being iffy for a time, and they went past the beginnings, no reason not to feel pride in their strength.

Last edited by nightbird47; 12-15-2013 at 05:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy