U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 03:38 PM

2,469 posts, read 2,728,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Found this on our room that has many many things ...

It's dated all the way back to the 10th century

I can clearly see about a dozen different handwritings in this.

Along with this I found many other neat documents of land, titles, etc of the century XIII
That is indeed a great find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 01:29 AM

11,685 posts, read 13,095,304 times
The only total brick wall I have ever encountered is my father's grandfather. His wife's origins were supported by some, now recently lost, letters from her brother in Ireland to her in the U.S. written during the Irish Land War of 1879-1882. Her husband supposedly came from the same area, according to his grtgrandchildren. I have never been able to find any records relating him directly to Ireland other than the U.S. census, much less records relating him to a particular place there.

I recently wrote to the town clerk of the rural township in the U.S. where he lived and died. And the clerk replied that she was sending me a photocopy of his death cert. Having been through this in the U.S. and Canada, I expected that as he was an immigrant his place of origin would simply be "Ireland," and parents names blank.

On the first count, I was right; but on the second, wrong. His son had given the complete names of his father's mother and father....so, after many years I had a new set of grtgrtgrandparents.

I went to Griffiths Valuation of mid-19th century land tenure for the townland in Moyloughcivil parish, Co. Galway of my grtgrandfather's wife...where her husband was allegedly from as well. And then I looked for the name of her husband's father, as per the death cert. And there he was with a couple of small holdings, and one of them was held jointly with a man who has the same surname as his son's wife. All of these holding were from Thomas Blake, a Catholic baronet with a small estate, and possibly his estate records may yet exist.

And in an adjoining townland is a family with the same surname as my greatgrandfather's mother. So, while this is all circumstantial still; nevertheless, it does confirm a previously unsupported family tradition.

Now I have more data to go back to the local genealogy board in Ireland, and see what suggestions those people may have.

Last edited by kevxu; 03-07-2014 at 01:39 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 11:36 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,154 posts, read 22,799,661 times
I verified a connection that added an extensive portion of family tree and 14 surnames.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:02 AM

21,521 posts, read 26,139,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I verified a connection that added an extensive portion of family tree and 14 surnames.
Wow! The genealogy lottery!

Where's the green with envy emoticon?

Old 03-08-2014, 02:51 AM

11,685 posts, read 13,095,304 times
Quote:
Sheesh! Them's a lotta, lotta people. Congrats.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:10 AM

18,028 posts, read 17,175,920 times
Quote:
That's mighty chunk. I hope it's not too overwhelming.

I didn't actually find anyone new in my family but have just made a nice connection through 23andme. The person is distantly related to me and he's proud of his first ancestor who settled the town I am living in back around 1635! He's on the west coast via Arkansas so it's amazing how those Puritan descendants got around. One of mine must have married one of his so we're going to explore the connection. It's fun telling him about the town and the burying ground where I do my Find A Grave work.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:36 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,154 posts, read 22,799,661 times
It's official. The ancestors of a great granny with a maiden name that could be of either Irish or Scottish stock were from (drum roll please) Northern Ireland. They were Protestant and immigrated as what some of us Yanks have learned to call Scots-Irish. Adding these to ancestors who were Irish Catholic, English Anglican and English Puritan, etc. makes yet another British religious conflict we have covered on EVERY side.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:01 PM

21,521 posts, read 26,139,087 times
Quote:
It's official. The ancestors of a great granny with a maiden name that could be of either Irish or Scottish stock were from (drum roll please) Northern Ireland. They were Protestant and immigrated as what some of us Yanks have learned to call Scots-Irish. Adding these to ancestors who were Irish Catholic, English Anglican and English Puritan, etc. makes yet another British religious conflict we have covered on EVERY side.
Welcome to the family!

Old 12-14-2015, 11:51 PM

18,028 posts, read 17,175,920 times
Quote:
Do you ever feel at war with yourself?

Old 12-15-2015, 08:45 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,064,221 times
Same here. I tried to figure out for a long time why the Irish Catholic branch of my family were named Stewart. Irish Catholic great great great grandmother married Scottish Presbyterian great great great grandfather, was disowned, moved to London. Then husband died, and she became super-duper-Irish-Catholic, brought her boys to the US and raised them as Irish Catholic. Despite their Scottish heritage, they all fully got into the whole Irish Catholic thing, having tons of kids and becoming alcoholics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy