U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 04:10 PM

15,566 posts, read 8,742,257 times

Advertisements

I have reached a wall in one particular branch of my family, and after months of beating my head against a wall, I decided to do some reading on my hometown, which has a wonderful website documenting its history from the early nineteenth through the mid-twentieth century. It includes a lot of personal recollections, and I was drawn to one article about the business district that served a neighborhood where my gg-grandparents and many of their children lived. While I did not find anything specifically about my family, I did see some suprisingly familiar names from childhood. A few Google searches turned up obituaries that I used to trace the families back a few generations, which confirmed my suspicion that many of the kids with whom I attended school (in another part of the city) were also deeply rooted in that neighborhood. So no huge breakthroughs, but it did make for a fun afternoon diversion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 04:23 PM

858 posts, read 748,088 times
I'm white but test for very small amounts of African DNA. I recently discovered a source of at least some of that DNA (I know I have at least two African ancestors based on DNA tests). A paper trail ancestor has male descendants that test for the Y DNA Sub-Saharan African haplogroup. Related families of the time and place (1600s-1800s in South Carolina and Virginia) are listed as mulatto, free people of color, or attempted to prove themselves as "white". Not sure on the specific African ancestor but this is a huge step to now know at least one of the paternal ancestors up this line leads to an African ancestor from West Africa.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:19 PM

386 posts, read 382,158 times
Dad's side: I've found 10 ancestors from my dad's paternal grandmother's line that qualify as patriots for the DAR (I'm in the application process). An 11th is considered a deserter, but has been "rehabbed" in the SAR, so I'll poke around on that one later. I might have a 12th if I can prove parent/child relationship.

Mom's side: I "rediscovered" someone's parentage when I was reorganizing my source files this week. A cousin had sent it to me and I'd forgotten all about it. I also found my great-grandfather's death record. I'd forgotten I'd had that, too.

I'd still like to know what happened to about 15 years of my grandfather's life. From 1922 when he graduated from high school to about 1935, he's nowhere. No censuses, not in parent, sibling, or a household if his own, there's nothing. He resurfaced when he married my grandmother in 1936. I'd love to know where in the heck he was.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:57 PM

7,144 posts, read 12,731,599 times
My most recent discovery? We're heavily represented by sociopaths and narcissists. Ain't family grand?

Old 12-19-2015, 01:17 AM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
My most recent discovery? We're heavily represented by sociopaths and narcissists. Ain't family grand?
Recessive genes, I assume. None of it got passed down to you. I'm sure we all have our share of nutcases but we just don't know about them.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:10 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
I found out that the brick wall on dad's side was caused by my g g grandfather was a moon shiner who killed 2 men for some reason, he repeatedly changed his last name to evade capture. Got to love Eastern Kentucky genealogy!

Old 12-20-2015, 02:13 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I found out that the brick wall on dad's side was caused by my g g grandfather was a moon shiner who killed 2 men for some reason, he repeatedly changed his last name to evade capture. Got to love Eastern Kentucky genealogy!
Bad for the people he killed but.... that's a great story. Good find!

Old 05-09-2017, 06:28 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,058 posts, read 22,780,245 times
Lightbulb This is why we check the laterals

After beating my head against a brick wall for years, this weekend I had a breakthrough. I had been looking for an ancestor's birthplace who "should have" been born in one state, and was said to be, for instance in census records under birthplace of parents. I got to know every recorded person with that name in that state, their birthplaces and spouses and nothing. Logistics always ruled them out. I had figured a long time ago the ancestor must have come from an adjacent or nearby state, but couldn't find any matches anywhere I looked.

Then this Saturday I discovered that ancestor had another child I hadn't known existed, another sibling for the ancestor in the following generation. The child lived a full life and had a family. Sunday I looked up everything about the discovered child/sibling's life I could find. Late that evening on the last record, a death record, the parent ancestor's place of birth was listed, city and state. Not in an adjacent state, but another state over. Finally! I'm still glowing.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:19 PM

5,612 posts, read 8,040,749 times
I've come to dead ends on several branches. There are some cousins and second counsins on ancestry with trees so I checked one just to see if there was any extra info. One had a father for our shared great-grandmother and bam....so much stuff. I've tentatively gotten them back to the Mayflower but need to confirm great-grandmother's birth place to confirm all info was correct.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:45 PM

2,468 posts, read 2,724,033 times
Awesome posts! The 2 newest posts (2017) above is why I try my best to fill out all the indirect ancestor information. You may never know what you may uncover to help fill your genealogy puzzle. Having the indirect ancestor info often helps to piece together clues and other info you may not have from just using your direct ancestor info.

Sort of on a related note, I just posted in another thread in genealogy that I found my g-grandfather to be a illegitimate son. His mother (my gg-grandmother) never identified the father, so with that branch, I am at dead-end for now. Luckily I can go back on her tree some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy