U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:43 AM

535 posts, read 368,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I tracked down a long-lost great aunt working in a mental hospital in Cleveland. She just disappeared from the face of the earth when her mother died. It makes sense because her older brother was insane and confined for about 30 years. She probably knew something about mental illness.
Interesting story. It reminded me of group of distant third or fourth cousins in my tree. These cousins' parents died from tuberculosis about 100 years ago and they were orphaned. All three brothers scraped together their money and became doctors, attending John Hopkins University Medical School. Two of the brothers specialized in tuberculosis treatment. From about 1935 to about 1960, they were the administrators of large hospitals in Detroit and San Francisco that specialized in TB treatment. The third brother became a successful family practice doctor in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 10:57 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

28,950 posts, read 23,390,990 times
I found a previously unknown obit for one of my grandparents. Not much new information, but interesting to see it in the context of the time.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:55 PM

781 posts, read 414,895 times
Found out recently that my mom's paternal grandfather was a dead ringer for Grandpa Munster. (based on the one picture I've seen.....never met him because he died years before I was born)

Old 09-30-2017, 11:07 PM

3,489 posts, read 2,132,846 times
I recently discovered that my gggggg grandfather came to America from England in 1682 and purchased 1,665 acres of land near Rosemont, NJ where he raised his family and began our family in America. Pretty cool.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:12 PM

10,132 posts, read 20,890,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I recently discovered that my gggggg grandfather came to America from England in 1682 and purchased 1,665 acres of land near Rosemont, NJ where he raised his family and began our family in America. Pretty cool.
One of my sons few times grandfather owned most of I think Asbury Park or one of the popular shore towns. I was surprised I never heard about it

Old 10-01-2017, 10:30 PM

15,084 posts, read 7,592,969 times
Today discovered a new 5th great grandfather!! Very exciting as I've been working on this particular family for over 5 years now and got a break through due to some travels to archives in both PA and in DC.

Looking up more information on the family and am excited! I've also been doing some UGGR (underground rail road) research on my local community and this 5th great grandfather is a person who has been mentioned as an administrator of the UGGR here so very exciting for me. I never thought I'd make a connection with this family. Planning on another trip to the Chester County, PA archives as well and hoping for a similar outcome on a different family I've been researching.

I love all the online availability but now that I've gone through nearly everything I can online, I get super stoked to where I want to dance when my trips to archives and historical societies provide me the exact clues I need to put a puzzle together on a family.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:30 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,707,151 times
Just found that I have another ancestor who was killed by Indians, Elizabeth Belding (now the 4th I've identified), while her husband Daniel Belding (also my ancestor) with two of their children were taken captive by the Mohawks at Deerfield, Massachusetts in 1696. They were taken to Montreal and sold to the Jesuits for labor, then a year later were redeemed and sent to Albany, NY, eventually making their way back to Deerfield. Daniel remarried, only for his second wife to be killed by Indians in the 1704 Deerfield massacre. Too bad I didn't know about this when I visited Montreal a few years ago.

Also found that one of my ancestors in Connecticut owned at least two slaves in the early 1700s, which took me by surprise.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:22 AM

2,531 posts, read 2,850,366 times
I really enjoy reading this thread over and over. What great stories to share!

Old 10-11-2017, 07:47 AM

5,623 posts, read 4,137,431 times
I have recently discovered that my great aunt (dad's aunt) is buried in the same cemetery as my wife's dad.. I have visited this cemetery many times but never knew i had a great aunt buried there.. Most of my relatives are buried in small cemeteries in middle TN but this particular cemetery is in Notheast Ohio.. obviously, the next time i visit, i will be on the hunt for my great aunt.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:47 PM

6,005 posts, read 3,360,360 times
Two steps forward, three steps back-- a Red Herring sent me down the wrong path. What I thought I knew about a great uncle was someone else. The family was generally estranged and he fell off the radar. A common name and similar age but not the same man. Census records have these two guys in the same county in 1910 but one lived a quiet life and worked in local rail yards never owning anything and married late in life with a step child and step grandchildren. He left a tiny footprint. The other went insane and I chased him from one institution to another for the next three decades of census records. He ended up in a secure nursing home. I'm still finding information on my "real" relative but this changes a number of assumptions that I developed. I figured the insanity was the reason for the estrangement and why he was essentially forgotten. Now I need to find another reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy