U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 11:43 AM

12,425 posts, read 5,778,335 times

Advertisements

My most recent discovery this week is frustration lol.

I have a huge mystery that honestly has been one for the last 10 years and that I've shelved because I didn't want to focus on it. But due to a previous discovery I shared in this thread - the picture of a 4th great grandmother and communicating with a new found relative online, I've decided to go the long haul with my Jones line of free people of color living in my hometown between 1840 and 1860. There were a lot of Jones' living in this area during that period and I've never been sure if they are all relatives or not due to the common surname. To top it off, nearly all of them had the same given/first names - lots of Williams, Marys, Frances/Francis, Thomas' and Johns lol. So it was frustrating back then and is still frustrating but I think my nagging curiosity bug about if these families are related is finally getting the best of me.

I think it will be a 2-3 year search right now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 10:52 PM

3,685 posts, read 2,015,670 times
I think I found my three (of four) Irish Gr-Gr-Grandparents in Kerry based on church records. They are from 1819 - 1829 roughly in the part of Kerry that I suspected. The one that is still missing is a sibling or cousin to one I found so I hope to find her fairly soon. I've been looking for them for several years. My McSweeney, thought to be from near Cork was born in Tralee.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:05 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

23,525 posts, read 21,176,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I think I found my three (of four) Irish Gr-Gr-Grandparents in Kerry based on church records. They are from 1819 - 1829 roughly in the part of Kerry that I suspected. The one that is still missing is a sibling or cousin to one I found so I hope to find her fairly soon. I've been looking for them for several years. My McSweeney, thought to be from near Cork was born in Tralee.
Congrats! Long sought finds can feel like hard won victories.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:12 AM

1,753 posts, read 1,526,107 times
Well today I discovered a section of my Ancestry test I overlooked before.

The "See all 150 regions link".

So when I opened that link I found several results that were too small to show up under the areas of highest confidence. And in there I found the Native American link had the number 30 beside it. Expanding this showed me ties to multiple places in Mexico and one in Polynesia.

I am now trying to figure out what that means in relation to my quest which was to find out about my late father's family history. My Mother's side is all French Canadian and Irish and that shows up strongly in my results. But my father's family has many stories of there being a NA link. So does this bring some truth to those tales? And how on earth did Central Mexican blood wind up in New England?

So many questions and so hard to find answers.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:30 AM

7,606 posts, read 11,566,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Well today I discovered a section of my Ancestry test I overlooked before.

The "See all 150 regions link".
You didn't overlook it, it's just relatively new.

Quote:
So when I opened that link I found several results that were too small to show up under the areas of highest confidence. And in there I found the Native American link had the number 30 beside it. Expanding this showed me ties to multiple places in Mexico and one in Polynesia.

I am now trying to figure out what that means in relation to my quest which was to find out about my late father's family history. My Mother's side is all French Canadian and Irish and that shows up strongly in my results. But my father's family has many stories of there being a NA link. So does this bring some truth to those tales? And how on earth did Central Mexican blood wind up in New England?

So many questions and so hard to find answers.
The numbers are the just the amount of sub-groups (which are Genetic Communities) under that category. They are of no relation to your personal results, these are just all available groups. Your results are indicated by the colored dot to the left. Groups you have no results in have a grey dot to the left. Genetic Communities are the same as they were before, Ancestry has just re-arranged them to be listed as sub-groups of the ethnicity percentages, which has been confusing everyone to no end (once again, great job, Ancestry!)

See my blog for further explanation: Genealogical Musings: AncestryDNA's New Arrangement of Ethnicity and Genetic Communities

Old 11-20-2017, 04:27 AM

321 posts, read 248,598 times
I discovered tonight that I am related to a famous newspaper reporter who works for the Associated Press. I found his birth announcement while searching through a small town newspaper. He's a 38-year-old, fourth cousin (living).

He's the fifth news reporter I've found in the family. Another cousin wrote for the Des Moines Register. Another cousin was a reporter and editor for the New Orleans Times-Picayune. The husband of another cousin was a longtime TV reporter in Chicago and a producer for CNN. --And the fifth person is me. I used to write for the Kansas City Star when I was younger.

Old Today, 11:23 AM

3 posts
That one of my family members got married to someone who used on tellly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy