U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:43 AM

14,234 posts, read 6,943,051 times

Advertisements

My most recent discovery this week is frustration lol.

I have a huge mystery that honestly has been one for the last 10 years and that I've shelved because I didn't want to focus on it. But due to a previous discovery I shared in this thread - the picture of a 4th great grandmother and communicating with a new found relative online, I've decided to go the long haul with my Jones line of free people of color living in my hometown between 1840 and 1860. There were a lot of Jones' living in this area during that period and I've never been sure if they are all relatives or not due to the common surname. To top it off, nearly all of them had the same given/first names - lots of Williams, Marys, Frances/Francis, Thomas' and Johns lol. So it was frustrating back then and is still frustrating but I think my nagging curiosity bug about if these families are related is finally getting the best of me.

I think it will be a 2-3 year search right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 09:52 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,817,096 times
I think I found my three (of four) Irish Gr-Gr-Grandparents in Kerry based on church records. They are from 1819 - 1829 roughly in the part of Kerry that I suspected. The one that is still missing is a sibling or cousin to one I found so I hope to find her fairly soon. I've been looking for them for several years. My McSweeney, thought to be from near Cork was born in Tralee.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:05 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

24,924 posts, read 22,570,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I think I found my three (of four) Irish Gr-Gr-Grandparents in Kerry based on church records. They are from 1819 - 1829 roughly in the part of Kerry that I suspected. The one that is still missing is a sibling or cousin to one I found so I hope to find her fairly soon. I've been looking for them for several years. My McSweeney, thought to be from near Cork was born in Tralee.
Congrats! Long sought finds can feel like hard won victories.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:12 AM

1,861 posts, read 1,717,001 times
Well today I discovered a section of my Ancestry test I overlooked before.

The "See all 150 regions link".

So when I opened that link I found several results that were too small to show up under the areas of highest confidence. And in there I found the Native American link had the number 30 beside it. Expanding this showed me ties to multiple places in Mexico and one in Polynesia.

I am now trying to figure out what that means in relation to my quest which was to find out about my late father's family history. My Mother's side is all French Canadian and Irish and that shows up strongly in my results. But my father's family has many stories of there being a NA link. So does this bring some truth to those tales? And how on earth did Central Mexican blood wind up in New England?

So many questions and so hard to find answers.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:30 AM

8,102 posts, read 12,640,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Well today I discovered a section of my Ancestry test I overlooked before.

The "See all 150 regions link".
You didn't overlook it, it's just relatively new.

Quote:
So when I opened that link I found several results that were too small to show up under the areas of highest confidence. And in there I found the Native American link had the number 30 beside it. Expanding this showed me ties to multiple places in Mexico and one in Polynesia.

I am now trying to figure out what that means in relation to my quest which was to find out about my late father's family history. My Mother's side is all French Canadian and Irish and that shows up strongly in my results. But my father's family has many stories of there being a NA link. So does this bring some truth to those tales? And how on earth did Central Mexican blood wind up in New England?

So many questions and so hard to find answers.
The numbers are the just the amount of sub-groups (which are Genetic Communities) under that category. They are of no relation to your personal results, these are just all available groups. Your results are indicated by the colored dot to the left. Groups you have no results in have a grey dot to the left. Genetic Communities are the same as they were before, Ancestry has just re-arranged them to be listed as sub-groups of the ethnicity percentages, which has been confusing everyone to no end (once again, great job, Ancestry!)

See my blog for further explanation: Genealogical Musings: AncestryDNA's New Arrangement of Ethnicity and Genetic Communities

Old 11-20-2017, 03:27 AM

467 posts, read 326,241 times
I discovered tonight that I am related to a famous newspaper reporter who works for the Associated Press. I found his birth announcement while searching through a small town newspaper. He's a 38-year-old, fourth cousin (living).

He's the fifth news reporter I've found in the family. Another cousin wrote for the Des Moines Register. Another cousin was a reporter and editor for the New Orleans Times-Picayune. The husband of another cousin was a longtime TV reporter in Chicago and a producer for CNN. --And the fifth person is me. I used to write for the Kansas City Star when I was younger.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:27 AM

816 posts, read 725,973 times
So recently made a pretty important discovery. Unfortunately it’s only circumstantial evidence but pretty strong for that and I only really have had circumstantial evidence in this line before now anyways.

My middle name is Allen which I was named for my Dad’s middle name. I believe it’s from my most recent Allen ancestry, a great grandmother of mine (grandmother to my father) Dora Caroline Allen. Her grandfather (my 4th great grandfather) was a John Allen and is the furthest I had plotted out via strong records. Through census records from 1850-1880 I know he was born about 1810 in South Carolina, he married a Martha (last name unknown) sometime before 1833 the age of their oldest child Joel, Martha was also born around 1810 in South Carolina. Joel was born in South Carolina so they seemingly were married in South Carolina, I haven’t found a record. By 1838 they had a child born in Alabama, as well as 1839 and 1841, then a child born in Mississippi in 1844. In 1850 and 1860 they are found in Pontotoc Co., MS. In Lee Co., in 1870 formed from Pontotoc. Then I believe I see him in Union Co., in 1880 which borders both Pontotoc and Lee and between 1870 and 1880 exchanged some land between counties (so might’ve been in the same spot the whole time).

I know he and his family were in Alabama in 1840, unfortunately there’s a couple John Allen’s that sort of work. The best fit I’ve found is in Jefferson Co., Alabama and mostly fits his family numbers the best.

Many trees have his parents listed as a Joel Allen (b. 1786) and a Martha Patsy Boyd (b. 1792). I’ve spent a great deal of time looking down any leads to confirm this or find any better option.

Looking into Joel and Martha Allen as possible parents some things certainly fit. They were married and lived in Laurens Co., South Carolina. In 1830 they were in Laurens Co., SC and by 1850 they were in Chambers Co., AL, then in 1850 in St. Clair Co., AL (which borders Jefferson Co.) where he died in 1855.

Obviously the fact John’s first child and son is named Joel certainly fits. Also John had a son named Charles with Charles being a very strong family name with Joel’s father, grandfather, and great grandfather all being Charles, Joel also had a son named Charles.

Looking for a “John” is always hard to identify the one you’re looking for compared to more unique names.

I do know Joel had a son named John, that was out of South Carolina in 1856. Joel died in 1855 one year before his father who died in 1856. So Charles Allen’s will mentioned his son Joel, but by the time he died he was already dead so further estate records mention Joel’s heirs. Charles Allen was relatively wealthy and fairly locally prominent, both Charles and Joel Allen were elected to the SC House of Representatives multiple times, Charles Allen was a Judge, lawyer, a founder of Laurens town, etc. He was referenced as Charles Allen Esquire often. Quite a bit of records survive for his relatively large estate, as far as I can tell about $29,000. They specifically mention the children of Joel Allen are out of state (also found a newspaper entry for that too) and in his probate returns records I see a John Allen son of Joel allen get about $500 which it said is paid out.

I’ve found no will for Joel Allen in St. Clair Alabama in the probate records, or immediate probate records listing all of his heirs. Though I did find a few probate entires regarding his minor children with his second wife (not John’s potential mother). Guardianship records show Joel’s widow becoming guardian for his minors (her children with him). Of use is a records specifically saying she was distributing their inheritence from their grandfather Charles Allen of Laurens Co., SC. Which clears up that this Joel allen is definitely the son of that Charles Allen. Though I can’t find any other mention than that of those underage minors with is second wife, I do find something that’s significant. I see that one of the people that was bound in her guardianship was a Peyton Rowan. Recognizing that name I noticed that my John Allen in Pontotoc Co., MS in 1850 has a William Rowan listed immediately above them. Turns out they’re brothers.

So my John Allen in 1850 is living next to the brother of the Peyton Rowan who was bound with Joel Allen’s widow in about 1857. Still circumstantial but certainly seems like more than coincidence.

Looking closer I see that William Rowan came to MS about the same time as John Allen based on their children birth states.

There are a lot of other circumstantial clues, like the record I think is him in 1840 in Jefferson Co., AL has a Cargile a couple spots above him that’s a cousin of a Cargile that married John’s sister (a daughter of Joel Allen). In Pontotoc Co., a couple spots is someone that also descends from the same ancestors as Joel Allen, meaning likely a cousin to my John Allen. A lot of little things like that, but the immediate next listing being so closely tied to Joel Allen’s widow and estate records (via his brother) is so far the strongest circumstantial evidence I have.

Been a line that I’ve dug into a lot since my middle name comes from this line, so it’s great to find an even stronger piece that confirms what a lot of trees already have (but I’m always skeptical since many are often wrong).

Old 01-24-2018, 10:30 AM

4,978 posts, read 2,817,096 times
Just found one of my ancestor families immigration date. They arrived in New Orleans from Hannover via Bremen on the Bark Adonis in November 1854. Two parents and four kids including a 1 year old. It was a rough crossing -- 13 deaths on board the ship. From there they took a steamboat up the Mississippi to St. Louis...about 6 days. They all survived the trip. This was a little later than I previously thought and all but one of their kids were born in Germany. My ancestor was born in the US. The father died in 1854 leaving his wife with five kids -- oldest was 13. They had a farm by that time and managed somehow. The family name is spelled about five different ways in the records so they are hard to find.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:25 AM

83 posts, read 73,898 times
I was doing a RAOGK on Reddit for a person having a hard time locating their GP 1904 marriage in NJ. I was able to locate both the state record and church records giving them their parent names. Everyone was happy.

A few days later I was perusing the historical NY Times database in the library so I decided to plug in the names. I found an article that the GF actually failed to appear and stolen $140. There were over 200 guest waiting at the house.

I always tell people that asks me to help them - are you sure you want me to help because you may not like what I will find?

Old 01-28-2018, 12:03 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

24,924 posts, read 22,570,751 times
Recently I've been able to verify and add to English ancestors in the 18 and 1700s. Got to love those church records. We'd know so little without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy