U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 06:20 AM

8,479 posts, read 12,457,060 times

Advertisements

I recently discovered some family members murdered in the Holocaust. Even though we are Jewish, I had always thought that our family had escaped the atrocities of the Holocaust, because they came to the US between the 1880s and 1920s.

What I didn't know was that my grandmother had first cousins who never came over. I knew of one of her first cousins, William, who came to the US, and through research over a year ago, I had found two of his siblings who had also come to the US. When communicating with William's daughter, she said that she thought that her dad was one of seven children, but she didn't know who they were. That led me to start searching records in YadVashem.org. There I found that William had two other brothers, who along with their wives and children and William's mother were in the Holocaust. The two brothers were murdered. I do not yet know the fate of the others. I haven't yet had the heart to tell William's daughter.

I also *think* I found my great-great grandfather's siblings on JRI-Poland. I cannot confirm it yet, but I am hoping to do so soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

29,243 posts, read 23,447,724 times
Gotta love it when people "drop" old family photos on you that you hadn't seen before.

Old Today, 02:59 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,228,553 times
Going back generations I found jewish on both sides. I do not know how this adds up. But I do and cook certain things at things that coincide with jewish holidays jewish customs. And no it is not anything family did when I was at home growing up.Nothing I picked up in childhood or from family. My overseas friend is jewish and he remarked on it, as he noticed several things I mention as years went along.
Another odd thing is sometimes when I was abroad during my travels other tourists come up real close to me, look at me and then say, but you are not jewish. Getting curious I google pictures jewish women and yes there is a bit of looks a bit like....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy