U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,686,996 times

Advertisements

I was checking Ancestry for new stuff posted on old links and found one of considerable interest. My great great great grandfather was from Belfast. He as also a member of the Orangemen. I have heard of them, sort of the protestent extreme. Well, he found himself for an unstated reason in need of getting out of Belfast. He left behind a wife, two sons, and a daughter. In New York, he met my g g g grandmother and married her and had more kids. His oldest daughter is my g g grandmother.

So somewhere in Belfast there might still be some distant cousins. Wonder what he did that made it necessary he leave real quick...

His youngest daughter is also my great aunt, as my great grandfather married her first, had two kids, and she died. Then he married her neice and had more. The neice's father was from scotland.

The really really neat thing is the two sister's family's bible page is shown on the site, giving names of generations before and later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 06:32 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,387,170 times
I discovered that my grandfather may have had 4 more siblings than anyone in my family knew about! One (a baby) is named on the 1910 census, but is gone in the 1920. Trying to track down death/burial records.

I'm also re-checking the 1910 censuses for all my relatives, since I discovered the question "Mother of how many children -- number born, number still living?" My great grandmother answered 5, with 2 living. The other 3 might not have been born in the US -- could be tricky tracking them.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:27 PM

8,096 posts, read 4,448,863 times
i found out through dna that my surname is not my original name, it must got change when the family arrive in United state in 1640 because i can't find my surname anywhere in Scotland.

but my dna test gave me hundred of matches with another surname and match 110 markets out of 111

Old 09-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,686,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i found out through dna that my surname is not my original name, it must got change when the family arrive in United state in 1640 because i can't find my surname anywhere in Scotland.

but my dna test gave me hundred of matches with another surname and match 110 markets out of 111
Given the time, it might be worth looking into the family situation in Scotland in 1640 and see if there might have been a desirable reason to disassociate themselves from it. Nobody would have demanded paperwork to prove who they were back then.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:28 AM

21,497 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:

Are you sure your immigrant ancestor came from Scotland?

It is possible he embarked from a port in Scotland but actually the family originated in another country.

Also, the fact that you match with a different surname sometimes points to a "non-paternal event" --- possibly an illegitimate birth but also not uncommonly an adoption.

Have you searched for men with the surname you matched to living in the same area as your ancestor in 1640? Do the people you have matched to have ancestors living near your 1640 ancestor?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:27 AM

12,928 posts, read 24,057,734 times
No biggie but found out my gg grandfather was born in Saratoga NY and was a coachman.. I LOVE Saratoga and love horses..I go up there every year during racing season. My brother also loved horses...makes you wonder if it's in the blood

Old 09-13-2013, 12:50 AM

480 posts, read 335,408 times
Quote:
It's possible that your family's surname back in Scotland was changed in the 1750's after the last Jacobite War. That's when the English forced the Scots, especially the Highlanders, to Anglicanze their names.

My Scottish surname is still in its old Scots-Gaelic form, which was an important clue that let me know that my family had left Scotland before 1750. My surname (like yours) is now rare in Scotland. The relatives who stayed behind in Scotland were forced to make their surname more English and it doesn't resemble my name today.

Apparently, my family's clan back in Scotland were Jacobites (supporters of the Old Pretender and Bonnie Prince Charlie). They were also members of Scotland's "super clan," the Clan Chattan Confederation, and blood relatives of the Macintoshes.

Chattan Confederation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-13-2013, 11:18 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,094 posts, read 22,785,932 times
I've discovered that a segment of my family that lived in a state for a while left behind lots of genetic cousins in that and an adjacent state. They've shown up on my 23andMe account, and I've been communicating with them. I've learned that one of the surnames is a family from Switzerland. First Swiss family we have in our tree. Nope, not Swiss family Robinson. The name begins with a W.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:36 AM

8,096 posts, read 4,448,863 times
on my surname side I can go back to 1640 arriving in Northumberland va, from Glasgow. have paperwork back to this point. Then dead end.

On DNA side got hundred of 110/111 marker matches to dumfriesshire, scotland. But this surname is no where like mine at all. Even additional snp I test is coming up positive with this group

my surname does not exist in scotland today. Every person I met with my surname i been related to. there less than 2500 in United states today and all from the same area within couple hundred miles, well at least 90% of them

Old 09-14-2013, 05:51 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,094 posts, read 22,785,932 times
Quote:
on my surname side I can go back to 1640 arriving in Northumberland va, from Glasgow. have paperwork back to this point. Then dead end.

On DNA side got hundred of 110/111 marker matches to dumfriesshire, scotland. But this surname is no where like mine at all. Even additional snp I test is coming up positive with this group

my surname does not exist in scotland today. Every person I met with my surname i been related to. there less than 2500 in United states today and all from the same area within couple hundred miles, well at least 90% of them

Which DNA service is that? They match you to a specific geographic locale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy