U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:28 PM

952 posts, read 1,863,575 times

Advertisements

He would be your great (or grand) uncle. Your grandmother's sister would be your great (or grand) aunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 05:07 PM

1,080 posts, read 717,776 times
I apologize if this information has already been posted in this thread and I overlooked it-

To be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. cousin, both people must be from the same generation. More specifically, their common ancestor must be the same number of generations. So children of siblings will be first cousins, grandchildren of siblings will be second cousins, and so forth.

Growing up, I was always taught that my dad's first cousins were my second cousins, but that is incorrect. They are my first cousins, once removed because I am one generation younger (removed) from them. The first cousins of my grandparents are my first cousins, twice removed.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 835 times
What would my nephew's father's brother be considered to me? ... I know there wouldn't be a blood connection, but I have always called him uncle. Would that be appropriate?

Old 05-27-2016, 08:39 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,447,161 times
Your nephew's father's brother would be your brother-in-law's brother.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepurplevirgo View Post
What would my nephew's father's brother be considered to me? ... I know there wouldn't be a blood connection, but I have always called him uncle. Would that be appropriate?
Your nephew's father's brother would either be your brother-in-law's brother OR your own brother or half-brother (if the nephew's father is your brother or half-brother). In a soap opera or white trash universe, he could also be your half-brother's half-brother (with them sharing a parent that is not yours). In which case he would be your half-brother's half brother and no blood relation to you.

It may not be very common, especially since people have the opportunity and means to move away from where they grew up, but some people are close to their sibling's in-laws. I have one sister (44, and I'm 41) and I've known her husband, his parents and his two sisters all of my life. We grew up in the same rural town and attended the same church. My sister has one child, a son who is 17. When he was born, I began to refer to his aunts (my brother-in-law's sisters) as Aunt Shelley and Aunt Iva (in my nephew's presence or when discussing them with my sister and her husband's parents). I also call my brother-in-law's mother by the names my nephew has used for them- Gramma and Poppa John.

I also think it's common to call certain people 'aunt' or 'uncle' when they are special to you or your family, whether a member of your family has a marital or blood connection with them or not. Both of my parents are 'only' children, so I have no aunts or uncles (or first cousins). But my mom's childhood best friend (whom she has known for over 50 years) and her best friend for the last 26 years are both my "aunts".

Some people find it odd that my cousin's children call me Uncle Jason. My cousin is actually my dad's first cousin, making her my first cousin once removed. Her children are adopted, so they aren't blood relatives, but they would still be considered my second cousins. Since I'm 27 years older than her twins and 24 years older than her older son, it made more sense for them to call me uncle when they were younger and it stuck.

For genealogical purposes, knowing the specific 'blood' relationship between two people is very important. But in the real world, many of us have "chosen"' family members that are as precious to us (or even more so) than many of our blood relatives. =)

Old 05-27-2016, 11:28 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,129,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I believe that is 1st cousin once removed. Your mom's uncle's daughter is her first cousin. You would be second cousin's with your mom's first cousin's children.

First Cousins Once Removed (and so on)
We don't do it that way in our family. That once removed stuff is silly and way too complicated.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:29 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
1. your Mom's uncle's daughter would be your Mom's first cousin and your 2nd cousin.

2. If your Dad's cousin is his first cousin, he would be your 2nd cousin and his daughter would be your 3rd cousin (she'd be your dad's 2nd cousin).
Absolutely the way we count cousins, etc. We don't remove anybody in our family. LOL And we stop counting at third cousins. Anybody beyond that is a distant cousin. And we don't have any grand uncles or aunts. We have great uncles and aunts and a lot of them. When I hear someone say once removed, I say "W-H-A-T?"

Last edited by NCN; 05-27-2016 at 11:49 PM..

Old 05-27-2016, 11:54 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
Your nephew's father's brother would either be your brother-in-law's brother OR your own brother or half-brother (if the nephew's father is your brother or half-brother). In a soap opera or white trash universe, he could also be your half-brother's half-brother (with them sharing a parent that is not yours). In which case he would be your half-brother's half brother and no blood relation to you.

It may not be very common, especially since people have the opportunity and means to move away from where they grew up, but some people are close to their sibling's in-laws. I have one sister (44, and I'm 41) and I've known her husband, his parents and his two sisters all of my life. We grew up in the same rural town and attended the same church. My sister has one child, a son who is 17. When he was born, I began to refer to his aunts (my brother-in-law's sisters) as Aunt Shelley and Aunt Iva (in my nephew's presence or when discussing them with my sister and her husband's parents). I also call my brother-in-law's mother by the names my nephew has used for them- Gramma and Poppa John.

I also think it's common to call certain people 'aunt' or 'uncle' when they are special to you or your family, whether a member of your family has a marital or blood connection with them or not. Both of my parents are 'only' children, so I have no aunts or uncles (or first cousins). But my mom's childhood best friend (whom she has known for over 50 years) and her best friend for the last 26 years are both my "aunts".

Some people find it odd that my cousin's children call me Uncle Jason. My cousin is actually my dad's first cousin, making her my first cousin once removed. Her children are adopted, so they aren't blood relatives, but they would still be considered my second cousins. Since I'm 27 years older than her twins and 24 years older than her older son, it made more sense for them to call me uncle when they were younger and it stuck.

For genealogical purposes, knowing the specific 'blood' relationship between two people is very important. But in the real world, many of us have "chosen"' family members that are as precious to us (or even more so) than many of our blood relatives. =)
My mother lived until a week before her 85th birthday. She taught teens in Sunday School until she was past 80 years old. Just about everybody in the church called her Aunt _____. I used to visit my first cousin and she would take me across the road to visit her grandparents who lived at the home place with her aunt and uncle. Her uncle was a preacher and I thought it disrespectful to call him by his first name and too formal to call him Rev. ___ so I called him Uncle_____ and her aunt was Aunt____. Therefore her grandparents became Grandma and Grandpa to me too. Wonderful people and they treated me like family. I am sure that chart would have me as one of the "once removed" people, but who wants to be "once removed." It sounds unfriendly.

Last edited by NCN; 05-28-2016 at 12:03 AM..

Old 05-28-2016, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My mother lived until a week before her 85th birthday. She taught teens in Sunday School until she was past 80 years old. Just about everybody in the church called her Aunt _____.
Thanks for sharing that story about your mother. It's very sweet.

My sister and I called both of our grandmothers 'Nanny' (Nanny Sara for my dad's mom and Nanny Gen, short for Geneva, for my mom's mom). My Nanny Gen was one of the kindest and most loving people you will ever meet. All of my and my sister's friends, coworkers and other people in our lives always called her "Nanny". She lived to be 95 and passed away last year on Mother's Day (5/10/15). She was Nanny to hundreds of people over the years! =)

Old 05-28-2016, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Absolutely the way we count cousins, etc. We don't remove anybody in our family. LOL And we stop counting at third cousins. Anybody beyond that is a distant cousin. And we don't have any grand uncles or aunts. We have great uncles and aunts and a lot of them. When I hear someone say once removed, I say "W-H-A-T?"
The "x-removed" is only valid for genealogical purposes. I think introducing someone as my "2nd cousin once-removed" would just be rude. One of my dad's first cousins is more like a sister to me and I consider her one of my dearest friends also. I'm the only family member that keeps in touch and visits her regularly from her mom's side if the family (and she has 23 first cousins, including my dad, and they have more than 100 kids). I've always thought they were jealous because she moved to L.A. and worked in the television industry....and not to sound like a perv, but she is by far the most beautiful...but she doesn't even know it or act like it! She just turned 57, has survived inflammatory breast cancer (including seven surgeries, two rounds of chemo and two of radiation) and she is still a knockout. (BTW, I'm gay, so these obviously aren't creepy/pervy comments, just fact)!

Anyway, I could never imagine introducing her as anything other than my dear cousin...my favorite cousin! Actually, whenever I talk about her, I refer to her as Cousin Joy (her name) because my mom is also named Joy. I tend to call my mom by her name when I'm pissed off at her, so it minimizes confusion on which Joy I'm talking about.

I felt the same way about her parents. They were my great-aunt and great-uncle (her mother was my paternal grandmother's only sister out of 10 siblings) and my sister and I both adored them. She was always Aunt "Pete" (a nickname from childhood) and he was Uncle Allen. But the fact that I don't have any actual Aunts or Uncles (neither of my parents have siblings) makes it easier because they're truly Aunts and Uncles in my eyes.

I also have three cousins (sisters) who are both my 2nd and 3rd cousins. My paternal grandmother and their paternal grandfather were siblings, making us 2nd cousins. Their paternal grandmother's father and my paternal grandfather's mother were siblings (our great-grandparents were siblings) making us 3rd cousins. But they are simply my cousins, end of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or