U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:01 PM

952 posts, read 1,862,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Is there any distinction for double cousins or where family married back into themselves? We have one line where two brothers married two sisters. There are other lines such as where first cousins once removed married. Genetically, they they show up closer than regular cousins.
My great-grandfather and his brother married 2 sisters, one of which was my great-grandmother. Their children would be double first cousins. I have pictures of my grandfather and a picture of his double first cousin and they looked like twins!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 11:13 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
In the case of the double first cousins, there was only one child of that married couple. I only have a picture of him as a toddler. One of his descendants burned all of the family pictures. I recently contacted the one of the decedent's to request a photo of the wife who is my great great aunt. They don't have any. I shared all of the photos I have of my great great uncle. They said they were the first photos they had ever seen.

I think we do share a family disease... diabetes. I'm still trying to figure out which side of the family that came from.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 335 times
Hello I was wondering if you could answer my question. My biological grandfather has a new wife and they have kids and the kids have kids. Who would all of them be to me?

Old 09-23-2017, 06:41 PM

952 posts, read 1,862,940 times
Your grandfather's children with his new wife would be your half uncles and aunts, since they have the same father, but different mothers. Their children's children would be half first cousins.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:13 PM

8,220 posts, read 12,805,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt33 View Post
Hello I was wondering if you could answer my question. My biological grandfather has a new wife and they have kids and the kids have kids. Who would all of them be to me?
It's not clear whether the children are your grandfather's children or whether they are his wife's children from a previous relationship. If they are your grandfather's children, then the other response is correct.

If they are from her previous relationship, then they aren't really anything to you - they are the children and grandchildren of your grandfather's wife. You could maybe call her your step-grandmother, and her children your step aunts/uncles, and their children your step 1st cousins. But those aren't legal definitions as far as I know.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:09 PM

350 posts, read 196,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
My mom's uncle has a daughter. What is she to me? 2nd or 3rd cousin?

My dad has a cousin and he has a daughter. 2nd or 3rd cousin?
First cousin once Removed
Second Cousin

Old 09-30-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepthefaith0408 View Post
Is my dads half sisters grandson related to me?
Yes. That would be Your Half First cousin Once Removed.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 184 times
If my stepbrother has a great nephew does that make him some kin to my children?

Old 12-22-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampkinsalycia45 View Post
If my stepbrother has a great nephew does that make him some kin to my children?
No, becue you share not blood.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:13 PM

1,326 posts, read 527,514 times
To understand the removed part you look at who the common ancestor is and how many generations you are from them and if you both are the same number. If you are 3 generations from shared ancestors and your cousin is 2 generations then you are 2nd cousins once removed. If you are 4 generations from and your cousin is 2 generations from then you are second cousins twice removed. You always take the smaller number and the removed is the difference between the two. If the removed is 0 you are whatever distance away cousins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or