U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:31 PM

178 posts, read 332,936 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm looking for me mum's original surname that was most likely changed in the early to mid 19th century. And I'd like to know how would I be able to find it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 PM

3,678 posts, read 2,497,875 times
I suppose your maternal ancestor could have changed his/her name legally but the more likely scenario in that time period is that he/she just shortened or changed the spelling of the original name or started using the English equivalent of a foreign name e.g. Schmidt = Smith.

One way would be to find obviously the same family at the same address in two different censuses with different surnames.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 18 days ago)

14,431 posts, read 16,738,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdublin21 View Post
Okay, so I'm looking for me mum's original surname that was most likely changed in the early to mid 19th century. And I'd like to know how would I be able to find it?
Try this site. It showed the origions of my grandfathers name and information I've only seen refered to.

http://www.surnamedb.com/

Old 06-24-2013, 04:15 AM

8,240 posts, read 12,858,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I suppose your maternal ancestor could have changed his/her name legally but the more likely scenario in that time period is that he/she just shortened or changed the spelling of the original name or started using the English equivalent of a foreign name e.g. Schmidt = Smith.

One way would be to find obviously the same family at the same address in two different censuses with different surnames.
I agree it's likely to just be an Anglicized/spelling change but census records are notorious for misspelling names so going by a census record may not be entirely accurate. It could be a start though. And of course censuses of whole families only go back to 1850 in the US (they also don't list address going this far back) and 1841 in the UK.

All you can do is research each generation and find any many records as possible.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 AM
bjh

26,346 posts, read 22,838,256 times
Sounds like you don't know the name and are trying to discover it? Then start looking up your family's census and BMD records. You will likely find some clues.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the tip, everyone! BMD, what is that? I have looked through the census as far as possible, and I believe like the others have said it most likely has been Anglicized. Me mum's surname is Lane. Her family said they were French and the surname had been changed. So now the new search is to find any possible French surname Anglicized (either by spelling or sounding) to Lane. Once again thanks!

Old 06-25-2013, 01:56 PM
bjh

BMD is birth, marriage and death records

Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 PM

8,240 posts, read 12,858,868 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip, everyone! BMD, what is that? I have looked through the census as far as possible, and I believe like the others have said it most likely has been Anglicized. Me mum's surname is Lane. Her family said they were French and the surname had been changed. So now the new search is to find any possible French surname Anglicized (either by spelling or sounding) to Lane. Once again thanks!
I would be cautious about family lore, especially when it's more than a few generations - it can be incorrect.

This might give you some insight: Lane Name Meaning & Lane Family History at Ancestry.com

Lane Name Meaning English: topographic name for someone who lived in a lane, Middle English, Old English lane, originally a narrow way between fences or hedges, later used to denote any narrow pathway, including one between houses in a town. Irish: reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Laighin ‘descendant of Laighean’, a byname meaning ‘spear’, or ‘javelin’. Irish: reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Luain ‘descendant of Luan’, a byname meaning ‘warrior’. Irish: reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Liatháin (see Lehane). Southern French: variant of Laine. Possibly also a variant of Southern French Lande.

So while there are some possible French variants, there are also a lot of Irish origins and judging by your username and usage of a few choice words, I'm guessing you're Irish? I would explore both options.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:48 PM

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice and have recently learned the original surname was Lanton. But I am not sure what it means. So if anyone does know what the name Lanton means. I'd appreciate it!

Old 08-31-2013, 04:46 AM
bjh

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice and have recently learned the original surname was Lanton. But I am not sure what it means. So if anyone does know what the name Lanton means. I'd appreciate it!
First of all "ton" means town. "Lan" some quality or identifying factor.

Could the name be a variation of Langton? A much more common name.

If so: Langton Name Meaning & Langton Family History at Ancestry.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or