U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 01:02 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,948,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

So ... A person living in Africa, who moves to the United States, cannot be an African-American unless they assimilate into some nebulous and varying "culture" that isn't necessarily shared by everyone who calls themselves an African-American?
Do me a favor. Substitute "black American" or "American Negro" everytime I mention the term African American.

Quote:
How if someone from South Africa -- regardless of their skin color -- not African? That would be like saying that someone from France is not European.
I never said whether or not all South Africans were or were not African. I do believe that Boers/Afrikaners are an African tribe, but they are not African as in "of African origin." They are descendants of European settlers.

Quote:
If you're a citizen of South Africa -- native or naturalized -- you're a South African. It's a pretty simple concept.
Yes, as in if you are a naturalized South African, you carry a South African passport. You are not Afrikaner, Zulu, Xhosa, Cape Coloured, etc., however. Just as many of my Hawaiian and Polynesian friends have been naturalized as Japanese, but neither they nor anyone else in that country considers them

You can say all you want about what I've said. I've been African American long enough, and have experienced and studied extensively enough,that I know I'm right on point.

I don't know where you get your perspective from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I alwasy wondered what was wrong with the term "Colored".
That sounds better than negro,aFro american,etc.

Just do away with all hyphenated americans.
Just use plain American,and its more accurate.

Or is it? Because technically,someone from South America is "american" too.
If America in general didn't make distinctions and consider some people more important and superior to others, we could all be just plain American. But we all know that's not going to happen anytime soon.........

Old 06-27-2013, 02:06 PM

4,318 posts, read 4,846,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
If America in general didn't make distinctions and consider some people more important and superior to others, we could all be just plain American. But we all know that's not going to happen anytime soon.........

Anyone who really knows anything about this country knows that money matters far more than race. You instantly become respected when you have money, no matter what race you are. People with no money spend their time worrying about race. Guys like Jesse Jackson know money matters, which is why he makes sure he's compensated for involving himself in the "race" business. He knows stupid people with no clue care about race. People think Jesse Jackson is stupid, I think he's really smart, he's finding ways to cashout on people's antiquated views concerning the value system in this country. Money has value over all else in America. Money is the real equalizer. Black people with millions are honestly not treated any differently than white people with millions.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:02 PM

27 posts, read 24,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
So it's an appropriate term for black Americans, whose family may have been in the Americas for 400-500 years but not for a woman who's citizenship is African and whose residence may be in America?

Besides, if you go back far enough, aren't we all descended from people who lived on the African continent?
Since Charlize Theron's family is European,they are called Afrikaaner, not African. Therefore, if she relocated to the U.S., she would not be able to claim the African American label, since she is Afrikaaner.

Afrikaaners are of Dutch, German and Scandinavia background. FYI: They were primarily responsible for instituting Apartheid in South Africa. These people created a system which stripped the native/indigenous South Africans of their resources and land.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki_Anderson View Post
Since Charlize Theron's family is European,they are called Afrikaaner, not African. Therefore, if she relocated to the U.S., she would not be able to claim the African American label, since she is Afrikaaner.

Afrikaaners are of Dutch, German and Scandinavia background. FYI: They were primarily responsible for instituting Apartheid in South Africa. These people created a system which stripped the native/indigenous South Africans of their resources and land.
And they went out of their way to make sure they let everyone know they were different from (i.e. superior to) Africans.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:31 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,295,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
As a black man, I've never felt I was different than the average American. I grew up watching MTV, looking at He-Man, Star Wars, playing with actions figures, and Nintendo growing up like any American would. And though I may have been raised in a crappier neighborhood than some white kid, I pretty much grew up being influenced by the same things. And I can look back to my mother and grandmother for this as well. When my family tree was done, it was revealed I've had family in this country dating back to 1730. Nearly 300 years of being represented in this country. I would say I have been in America longer than majority of the white West Coast population has. But for some reason I have to be called African America? I must admit, I know a lot about Africa. But I didn't learn about Africa via persona experience from my parents or elders in my family. I learned about Africa by reading BBC articles or a book, just like any white American would learn about Africa. There is nothing about me that is African, and having dark skin doesn't make me African automatically. I have more in common with Bubba from the trailer park than Ubotu from some tribe in Nigeria. You can't deny I have dark skin, so at the very least call me a black American. Black is far more accurate than "African" when it comes to describing me and my family.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. Since I moved to Seattle, which is PC overkill, I hear that term African American more than I care to hear it. It's not offensive, but it sure as hell is misleading. Like I'm less American than some white person, when in fact I'm more American than most white people. Again, my family has been in this country far longer than theirs.
I am so glad to find that I am not the lone voice crying in the wilderness about this. Personally, I do find this somewhat offensive for the reasons that you have stated. How often are white people referred to as "European-Americans"? They're not. They're simply called Americans, so why aren't we?

Actually, unless a person is not an American by birth, it is inaccurate and wrong to refer to them as a hyphenated American. I also include those individuals who are Americans by birth but refer to themselves or other natural-born Americans as "Irish", "Italian", "German", "Scandinavian", or "fill-in-the-blanK".

We are unique, we have our own nationality and identity, and that is a great thing.

We are Americans.

If I must be referred to racially, then I would refer the term "human".

Old 06-27-2013, 03:38 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,745,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I alwasy wondered what was wrong with the term "Colored".
That sounds better than negro,aFro american,etc.
That's not an accurate description since everyone is colored. There are no transparent people.

I think African American is an okay term IF whites are also commonly referred to as European American. It's the fact that whites are the only ones that can go by the term American only that bothers me. It makes the other terms discriminatory and unequal.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:44 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,295,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
If people wish to be labelled, they should be allowed to use any label they want. I've decided on "Panda", black, white and asian.
LOL, that's cute and funny.

I'll have to remember that one.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:54 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,745,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
And isn't that the problem? To me, as someone not originally from this country, the term African-American defines someone as not fully American and since whites are the only ones called American it, to me, shows that whites are the only ones deserving of being fully American. Is that not bothersome to you?
I guess it's a matter of what you read into the term African American - if it's a term of pride taken by those who go by it or a term of inferiority given or encouraged by others. Given that all other groups other than whites have another word added to "American" in the name they go by I can't help but believe that all these other terms - Native, African, Asian-American - are terms of inferiority given or encouraged by the majority who don't believe themselves to need another word added to the description of them. Where they are originally from isn't relevant while it is for everyone else. Fact is that everyone, other than Natives, are originally from someplace else.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:47 PM

4,142 posts, read 5,965,934 times
To cut through some of the crap I've seen on this thread, here is the official U.S. Census definition of what it means to be African-American:

“Black or African American” refers to a person
having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

This makes it all a lot less complicated than some people are trying to make it.

-- It explains why Charlize Theron is NOT African-American. Last I could tell, her origins are not in the black racial groups of Africa.

--It explains why you can identify culturally with South Sea Islanders, Serbo-Croatians, or surfer boys from California, and you'll STILL be African-American, because the term is NOT a designation of culture, but of descent--though the two often share some overlap.

--It explains why naturalized citizens from Egypt, Tunisia or Morocco are NOT African-American, but ones from Haiti, Liberia, or Somalia are African-American, whether they choose to identify as such or not.

This is not rocket science. But it also shouldn't be rocket science either as to WHY, given the history of the U.S with both voluntary immigration and slavery, racial and/or ethnic identification is so crucially important. The power to name is the power to define, and I think of it as nothing but positive when we (black people) decided to choose our own nomenclature rather that let the white power structure do it for us--or maybe I should say do it to us!

For me either African-American or Black is just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy