U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 12:57 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,332,656 times

Advertisements

I am considering getting DNA testing to find out specifically where my ancestors were from. Where is the best place to get this done? I assume it does both sides, but does it show specifically where my ancestors came from on my fathers side and then seperately on my mothers side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 03:06 AM

394 posts, read 1,296,052 times
No, all of the DNA tests show the ethnicities listed together, though 23andMe, National Geographics Geno 2.0, and FTDNA, will show your maternal and paternal haplogroups if you are male. If you're a female, the only way to learn your paternal haplogroup is to have your father, paternal uncle or a brother take the Y-chromosome test, but you can learn your maternal haplogroup. The haplogroups give you a broad idea of how your ancestors migrated.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:38 PM
bjh

26,094 posts, read 22,780,245 times
Haplogroups of Y and mt-DNA (mitochondrial DNA) are just two aspects of DNA information.

It's kind of like if your family tree is spread out like a fan. The Y chromo will show just the left edge, of paternal lineage. While the mt-DNA will show deep maternal lineage, that's just the right edge of the fan. Some tests only show those two so you'd miss out on everything in the middle. Happily, the autosomal tests will show the entire fan.

If went with 23andMe and have been very happy. Based on a database of something like 200,000 participants, it will show you what nationalities people who share some DNA with you know that their ancestors come from.

It's confirmed what I knew and helped me discover the one part of the family tree that had remained a mystery.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:45 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,509,126 times
23andMe is the best, but it may not get very specific, depending on where your ancestors came from. If you are East Asian for example, it will just say East Asian and not tell you which country. If you are Subsaharan African, the same. It will not tell you a specific Native American tribe, but it can tell you pretty accurately if you have Native American DNA down to one tenth of 1%. It can guess at certain European ethnic groups. If you are 100% Polish, it will probably give you close to 100% "Eastern European." Some of the more specific European populations it can estimate are Iberian, British/Irish, French/German, Italian, Balkan, Scandinavian. It seems pretty accurate for Ashkenazi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy