U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:53 PM

17,994 posts, read 17,150,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I love this show. I'm about Clarkson's age and I was not familiar with Andersonville either. History class is not what it used to be, people. If you're not a history buff, chances are you aren't going to get the chance to learn it all sitting in a classroom.
Yeh, if you don't already know history, you'll pick it up as you go along depending upon what your ancestors did and where they were.

Tonight's, where she went looking for her dad's parents, was true to life. That's just how it is, the ups and downs of families and you take the good with the bad. We aren't looking for royalty, after all, we just want the truth. The Dad took it well and made peace with it. I loved the ending with the headstone that said he found her.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:42 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,094 posts, read 22,785,932 times
#$%^ I missed it. Maybe it's on their website soon after?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:57 AM

11,429 posts, read 19,443,622 times
Jeez, when Applegate opened that folder and started reading.... well I should probably short hand it to MMC Made me cry.

And next week's should be harder on me..... I'm glad hubby isn't home when this show is on.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:27 AM

17,572 posts, read 21,756,199 times
I thought this week was good, but the whole "single ancestor" thing was a bit limiting - with out too many twists or turns.

Next week looks interesting. Chelsea Handler, who is Jewish finds out that an ancestor was a Nazi.

That's the sort of discovery that turns me off to genealogy.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:53 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,049,326 times
Last night's episode was really good--except I'm still a little annoyed that they again only seemed to focus on one ancestor. I wanted to see more "tracing of roots" and finding multiple ancestors.

As an aside, I work right near Trenton, and I never saw it look as nice as it did in last night's episode. The location scouts and camera people are miracle workers!

Did you notice that when they look up newspaper articles, they use Genealogybank.com, but they don't show the name? I guess Genealogybank didn't want to pay to be a sponsor like Ancestry.com did. It wasn't a good decision IMO, because I'm sure tons of people sign up for Ancestry.com after watching the show, and I'm sure lots of them were wondering "what was that newspaper site they used?"

Old 07-31-2013, 09:45 AM

17,994 posts, read 17,150,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I thought this week was good, but the whole "single ancestor" thing was a bit limiting - with out too many twists or turns.

Next week looks interesting. Chelsea Handler, who is Jewish finds out that an ancestor was a Nazi.

That's the sort of discovery that turns me off to genealogy.
That will be a hard one but I think most Germans were Nazis. They didn't know any better at the time. Of course if she finds out that he committed atrocities....

Oh--I agree about the focus on only one ancestor. It's all right for a change but I would like to see more of the in depth genealogy where they trace an entire line back into history. Maybe they are dumbing it down for the newbies or because they are trying to promote Ancestry and how "easy" it is just to flip that little green leaf that shows upon your chart. I am so cynical.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:11 PM

952 posts, read 1,863,575 times
I DVR'd the show and it stopped when it said "3 months later......" What happened? Did Robert buy his mother a headstone?
I did see Genealogy Bank mentioned in the ending credits.

In some ways I think it's good that they focus on only one ancestor. There's quite a bit involved in finding info on just one person. I hope when people that are new to genealogy don't think they can just walk into a library or another research place and they can just open a book, and POOF! the informatiion is there. Genealogy is very time consuming.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:04 PM

419 posts, read 872,659 times
Default yes

It is nice headstone , On the bottom ," Mother I found you"

Cindiana;30756442]I DVR'd the show and it stopped when it said "3 months later......" What happened? Did Robert buy his mother a headstone?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,686,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
I DVR'd the show and it stopped when it said "3 months later......" What happened? Did Robert buy his mother a headstone?
I did see Genealogy Bank mentioned in the ending credits.

In some ways I think it's good that they focus on only one ancestor. There's quite a bit involved in finding info on just one person. I hope when people that are new to genealogy don't think they can just walk into a library or another research place and they can just open a book, and POOF! the informatiion is there. Genealogy is very time consuming.
There is a beautiful headstone with all the names listed, and the notation that I found you! He seemed much more peaceful in the last scene and I agree that in this instance what matters most is him knowing something about the mother he lost. Maybe they'll look backward but meaning is where you find it.

Such a sad story for this woman. But I loved that his daughter told him his victory is he broke the pattern and that truely is something to be proud of.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,094 posts, read 22,785,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
#$%^ I missed it. Maybe it's on their website soon after?
Yes. Who Do You Think You Are?: Christina Applegate

Answer your own question, bjh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or