U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,058 posts, read 22,780,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Last night's episode was really good--except I'm still a little annoyed that they again only seemed to focus on one ancestor. I wanted to see more "tracing of roots" and finding multiple ancestors.

As an aside, I work right near Trenton, and I never saw it look as nice as it did in last night's episode. The location scouts and camera people are miracle workers!

Did you notice that when they look up newspaper articles, they use Genealogybank.com, but they don't show the name? I guess Genealogybank didn't want to pay to be a sponsor like Ancestry.com did. It wasn't a good decision IMO, because I'm sure tons of people sign up for Ancestry.com after watching the show, and I'm sure lots of them were wondering "what was that newspaper site they used?"
I noticed that too and wondered what it was. Thanks for mentioning the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That will be a hard one but I think most Germans were Nazis. They didn't know any better at the time. Of course if she finds out that he committed atrocities....

Not really. Some were obviously. And in the countries invaded some locals joined them. But everywhere they went Hitler and his minions had an effective policy. Criticize his party and get killed, and your family too. Very effective.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
I DVR'd the show and it stopped when it said "3 months later......" What happened? Did Robert buy his mother a headstone?
I did see Genealogy Bank mentioned in the ending credits.

It had the names of Robert's mother, maternal grandfather and aunt. The caption below it was. "Mom, I finally found you."

Old 08-01-2013, 09:07 PM

Maybe TLC's spin on the show is to focus on one ancestor. Maybe that came out of a focus group they did before prepping the show for its new station?

It does some like a nice change of pace, but not something I'd like them to do EVERY time.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 PM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times
Originally Posted by in_newengland
That will be a hard one but I think most Germans were Nazis. They didn't know any better at the time. Of course if she finds out that he committed atrocities....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Not really. Some were obviously. And in the countries invaded some locals joined them. But everywhere they went Hitler and his minions had an effective policy. Criticize his party and get killed, and your family too. Very effective.
They kind of HAD to join the Nazi party and most of them probably didn't even know the complete story of what they were joining anyway. They were brainwashed. I spent some time in Germany living with a German family and they had been Nazis. They wanted nothing to do with it in the present time, didn't want to even talk about it but they had been Nazis. They had Nazi books, huge books with loads of photos of Hitler. Heinrich Himmler's former personal secretary lived in the same village--he was a nice guy to talk to--all of them had been Nazis. It was a different world.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They kind of HAD to join the Nazi party and most of them probably didn't even know the complete story of what they were joining anyway. They were brainwashed. I spent some time in Germany living with a German family and they had been Nazis. They wanted nothing to do with it in the present time, didn't want to even talk about it but they had been Nazis. They had Nazi books, huge books with loads of photos of Hitler. Heinrich Himmler's former personal secretary lived in the same village--he was a nice guy to talk to--all of them had been Nazis. It was a different world.
Oh, well, a lot of modern Americans are Democrats: historically, the party of pro-slavery, anti-civil rights, Jim Crow laws, poll taxes and ballot box stuffing, killing off policies for Native Americans, segregation, and more recently vilifying and ridiculing women whose politics are conservative.

Last edited by bjh; 08-01-2013 at 09:36 PM..

Old 08-02-2013, 03:59 AM

2,319 posts, read 1,980,825 times
Quote:
Maybe TLC's spin on the show is to focus on one ancestor. Maybe that came out of a focus group they did before prepping the show for its new station?
It could also be about budget restraints. Think how much $$$$ it took to send the former three seasons' participants all over the globe (Belarus, Paris, Ireland, Benin, Italy, Poland, Greece, Bulgaria, England, etc.) I'm just glad it's back.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:35 AM

952 posts, read 1,862,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
It had the names of Robert's mother, maternal grandfather and aunt. The caption below it was. "Mom, I finally found you."
Thanks bjh, I figured he had probably gotten her a stone, but I wasn't sure.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
It could also be about budget restraints. Think how much $$$$ it took to send the former three seasons' participants all over the globe (Belarus, Paris, Ireland, Benin, Italy, Poland, Greece, Bulgaria, England, etc.) I'm just glad it's back.
Maybe so, to make it profitable.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:44 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,043,938 times
Okay, getting a little tired of the "one ancestor per episode" theme.

Yes, it was interesting to learn about Chelsea Handler's grandfather, but that's not what I think draws the genealogy enthusiasts who are the core audience for WDYTYA. We want more ancestors and connections!

Aside from that, I was particularly struck by comparing what the grandfather went through with what my own recently discovered family member went through. My family member fought for the Allies in WWII, and was a POW of the Germans for 2 years, about the same timeframe as when Chelsea's grandfather was a POW of the Americans.

The US POWs arrived in their German prison camps relatively healthy and well nourished, and after 2 years ended up sickly and malnourished. The German POWs arrived in their prison camps in the US sickly and malnourished, and after two years were strong, healthy, and well nourished. And my ancestor was an officer housed in a supposed state of the art humane camp just for officers. Chelsea Handler's grandfather was a low level enlisted guy who even had to do farm work in his US camp. But he was better off than my guy.
It's pretty clear that the German POWs were much better off--no wonder a whole lot of them came back to the US with their families after the war.

I really liked the part where Chelsea talked with the American vet on that beach in France--I cried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or