U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:04 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

26,057 posts, read 22,775,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Why was it unfortunate.
She explained they were raised Jewish.
Judaism is what she is familiar with not her German side.
There are many debates about this. As far as I am concerned,
She lived, lives a Jewish life.
She was brought up in this tradition, religion, and family.
She wasn't brought up with her grandfathers tradition, religion.

I don't see anything Unfortunate about her being Proud to be a Jewish American.
It's unfortunate because she's leaving out half her family. She actually said she thought of Germans as bad people. The whole show was tainted by an assumption that a man she knew to be a kind grandfather was somehow evil. When it turned out that like so many innocent Germans he was as trapped in the middle of things he had little or no control over as many people are during times of historic change we got nothing about how that side of the family were actually good people. We just got a reassertion of the other side. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 02:54 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,385,933 times
I finally saw the Applegate episode, and what struck me was that they totally glossed over the fact that the father had a half-brother that he never knew about! The info was in the Mom's obituary, when Christina read it out loud. Maybe there were some issues there that they just didn't want to cover?

Old 08-10-2013, 02:56 PM

Maybe and they do have limited time, too.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:21 PM

11,426 posts, read 19,433,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
I thought in the previous seasons, they had 2 or 3 "stars" per episode.

That was a great hour.
Gilah, there is a PBS show along the same lines with -- I'm gonna mess his name up -- Henry Gates? -- he's a Yale professor. I think. Mathmatics?

Anyhow -- they do three people per episode. It moves along faster... Sorry I'm in the middle of something and can't google it.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:23 PM

11,426 posts, read 19,433,663 times
Chelsea Handler episode? First one where I didn't cry. I think because she was finding out really good happy things.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:44 PM

Henry Louis Gates is a professor of English at Harvard. He hosted a show on PBS called Finding Your Roots.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:55 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,039,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Maybe and they do have limited time, too.
I agree they had to cut for time. I looked up Christina's grandmother on Genealogybank in the Trenton newspapers (hey, play along at home, kids!) and found more articles on her, even a birth announcement with a photo. I'm sure Christina and her father got all of them; they just couldn't show everything in the show. After all they had to make time for all those outdoor shots of Trenton, to make it not look like the hellhole that it is

Old 08-13-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I agree they had to cut for time. I looked up Christina's grandmother on Genealogybank in the Trenton newspapers (hey, play along at home, kids!) and found more articles on her, even a birth announcement with a photo. I'm sure Christina and her father got all of them; they just couldn't show everything in the show. After all they had to make time for all those outdoor shots of Trenton, to make it not look like the hellhole that it is

Funny.

Yes, anyone could do some research. It would be funnier if someone one here discovered they are related to one of the featured celebs.

Zooey Deschanel (sp?) episode on now.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Funny.

Yes, anyone could do some research. It would be funnier if someone one here discovered they are related to one of the featured celebs.

Zooey Deschanel (sp?) episode on now.
I found this one very interesting. I actually have ancestors who settled in that county of Pennsulvania about the time her family did, though they were not Quakers, at least I would guess. I actually wonder if her ancestors may have known some of mine.

Learning more about that area and its history, since mine has some part of it, and I didn't know anything about its history.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,039,121 times
Liked the Zooey Deschanel episode.

I was kind of glad to get another episode that's close to me geographically. First Trenton, then Philly--I'm right between the two.

They at least diverged from their "one ancestor" theme for a few minutes in the beginning, and we got info on some other generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or