Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 08:08 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,990,353 times

Advertisements

There was an internet article several years ago [long since lost] written by a mathimatician who proved mathematically that EVERY person of Western European descent shares ONE common ancester.....Charlemagne.....

Don't know how tru...but mathematically.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 08:32 PM

261 posts, read 951,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
How did I miss this genealogy thread until now? Oh well, glad I found it now.

I'm in the process of going through old family items to create a family collection. We're donating it to the Oregon Historical Society. Every day I try and figure out another branch of my family tree. I have SO MANY old photographs. It's overwhelming trying to play detective and identify as many as possible.

Please, please everyone label your pictures. Your great-grandchildren will be so grateful.

I never thought about having a DNA test done. Sounds intriguing....

I am also the keeper of all things family and am glad to be able to do it!
My family history is important to me, but the brick walls that I hit are amazing! I haven't had the DNA done yet, as it's expensive and I don't have the money right now to do it. My ancestry that I know of from my paternal side is Scottish (ie. maiden name is Robertson), Irish and English. Mother's is a bit more complex: Scottish (Brown), English or Irish (Riley) German and/or French (Royer/Reyer). AND there is rumor that there is some kind of INDIAN in the family line too. I also inherited a suitcase of family pictures that were not labeled and everyone that could have identified them, have passed away or have no communication with the family.

What is the family name that you are contributing to the Oregon Historical Society? My Grandmother's family is all from Lebanon, Oregon. Still have family in Springfield and Cottage Grove and Eugene.

Oh well. Finally doing more research on GG Grandmother on maternal side after moving and getting settled.

My brick wall there is trying to figure out my Mayflower connection with GGG Grandfather's parents. Still trying to determine who they are.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:24 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,599,459 times
Sounds like you're way ahead of me!

As for the family names in OR, they are Garland, Allison, Snow and Hause. Most items belonged to the Garlands while in Portland. Lots of Heppner ties as well.

Are we related?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:39 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,734,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Your exactly right.. it sucks knowing I am Native American but not knowing which Native American Tribe I am from is the problem..The funny thing is I had a Cherokee Indian Chief ask me if I was Indian thats what made me curious, I am sure I am Cherokee but cant prove it.....
My dad says..(hearsay) that my 2nd great grandmother was a Full Blooded Cherokee Indian. however I can not find her.. I have this line back to the early 1800's but cannot find this one grandmother which is very strange. And on my moms side (hearsay again) I am suppose to have a 3rd great grandfather that is Full Blooded Cherokee Indian Chief but who knows.. I cant find him either..and his wife was said to be half blooded Indian.. you see it in her pictures but cant prove it.. I also have a 4th great grandmother on my moms side that is unknown.,. they say she was indian.. but I cant even find her.. its been an uphill battle trying to find these people and get info from family which is confusing as........... well you know what I mean.......I have been so confused about this... this is why I had the test done.. now that I know I just have to figure out which side of the family has more,.

This sounds a LOT like my story! I'd agree with Mississipiene's assertion that rumors of NA heritage might be covers for mixed race relations. I'm pretty sure I have some African ancestry also. My hypothesis is that if you come across a female ancestor with only a first name, it is very likely she was a slave. However, I think your likelihood of seeing this level of "honesty" diminishes greatly as you get into the 1800's. My particular ancestor who I believe was a slave dates back to the colonial days. There are just some mysteries we will probably never solve.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:25 AM

620 posts, read 1,768,317 times
I've been dabbling in genealogy since mid-2005, but I'm just now taking a more serious interest in it. I've come across a few helpful sites, but I'm really curious about what Ancestry.com has to offer. Is it worth paying for a subscription?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:49 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,001,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
This sounds a LOT like my story! I'd agree with Mississipiene's assertion that rumors of NA heritage might be covers for mixed race relations. I'm pretty sure I have some African ancestry also. My hypothesis is that if you come across a female ancestor with only a first name, it is very likely she was a slave. However, I think your likelihood of seeing this level of "honesty" diminishes greatly as you get into the 1800's. My particular ancestor who I believe was a slave dates back to the colonial days. There are just some mysteries we will probably never solve.
I have heard that as well............

In my particular case; my maternal grandmother's people are from Orange, Va. and note too that I do have some known 'Mulatto' cousins so it is probable that I have 'Negro' in my direct lineage.

NOTE: I am using the terms 'Mulatto' and 'Negro' due to both being used on the 19th Century US Census rolls.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have heard that as well............

In my particular case; my maternal grandmother's people are from Orange, Va. and note too that I do have some known 'Mulatto' cousins so it is probable that I have 'Negro' in my direct lineage.

NOTE: I am using the terms 'Mulatto' and 'Negro' due to both being used on the 19th Century US Census rolls.
Orange, VA!! That's where my kin came from.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
I've been dabbling in genealogy since mid-2005, but I'm just now taking a more serious interest in it. I've come across a few helpful sites, but I'm really curious about what Ancestry.com has to offer. Is it worth paying for a subscription?
It's awfully pricey, but I found it very worthwhile.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:36 AM

620 posts, read 1,768,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
It's awfully pricey, but I found it very worthwhile.
Thanks! I took a look at the price once and did a double take, so it's nice to know that it's actually helpful.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:49 PM

44,547 posts, read 61,242,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
Thanks! I took a look at the price once and did a double take, so it's nice to know that it's actually helpful.
It's extremely helpful as it has the largest collection of information availalble and excellent referral resources. We hemmed and hawed about joining years ago, but a friend talked us into it and it was well worth the cost. It actually can save you time and money wasted trying to locate many bits of information. Once you're on Ancestry and see the many sources, you get hooked on it for hours and hours. And when you make a discovery, it's quite exciting.
Ancestry.com is associated with the Mormon Church Family History information base in Utah which has over 4 billion pieces of information available to the public.
Ancestry.com also offers a free 2 week trial subscription. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy