Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 02:15 PM

620 posts, read 1,768,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
It's extremely helpful as it has the largest collection of information availalble and excellent referral resources. We hemmed and hawed about joining years ago, but a friend talked us into it and it was well worth the cost. It actually can save you time and money wasted trying to locate many bits of information. Once you're on Ancestry and see the many sources, you get hooked on it for hours and hours. And when you make a discovery, it's quite exciting.
Ancestry.com is associated with the Mormon Church Family History information base in Utah which has over 4 billion pieces of information available to the public.
Ancestry.com also offers a free 2 week trial subscription. Check it out.
Thanks so much! This information is really appreciated. I've visited the site, only to be thisclose to wanting to bang my head against the computer because all of the 'real' info is hidden until I subscribe. They tease me with crumbs, I tell you! I'm such an indecisive person at times, but I really think this could be worth the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 02:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,001,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
It's awfully pricey, but I found it very worthwhile.
I also have a subscription to Ancestry.com............I already traced a good part of my lineage on my mother's side back to ca. 1830

My father is an immigrant from Europe.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:12 PM

836 posts, read 3,370,917 times
I also have a full subscription with ancestry.com.. I have one line traced back to 1027 William Fitzosborn one of my great grandfathers fought the Battle of Hastings for William the Conqueror...(William Fitzosborn (which means William Son of Osborn) is credited with winning the Battle of Hastings for William the Conqueror in 1066, thus giving the Osborns a foothold in England. There is well-founded tradition that William the Conqueror offered William Fitzosborn his daughter and the Isle of Wight if he would win the battle. After some difficulty he was awarded the girl and the Isle and the latter remained in possession of the Osborns from that time on. It became the country home of Queen Victoria, the residence which she occupied there being known as Osborn House.)
Alone with another line (Condit/Conduit) in which puts me kin to my husband..(so many times removed and over 300 years back) Whew..lol.... But this puts us both kin to Sir Isaac Newton.. I have a couple of lines that date way back to 1500's in France and England.. And a Coleman line that dates way back to 1400's... but there is more on this line that dates back to 80AD. And of course I have 4 lines that I am at a brick wall.
Do you guys have any families traced back to NC or VA?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:11 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,001,252 times
Orange; Va. here.

Terrill/Terrell and Daniel were two very popular names there from 1830 onwards-----both Black and White people.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,990,353 times
also check out familysearch.org run by the Mormons and totally free....they also provide the software free.....I use it more now then I did Ancestry.com

Old 01-21-2008, 10:04 PM

620 posts, read 1,768,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
also check out familysearch.org run by the Mormons and totally free....they also provide the software free.....I use it more now then I did Ancestry.com
Thanks! I'll definitely give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
I also have a full subscription with ancestry.com.. I have one line traced back to 1027 William Fitzosborn one of my great grandfathers fought the Battle of Hastings for William the Conqueror...(William Fitzosborn (which means William Son of Osborn) is credited with winning the Battle of Hastings for William the Conqueror in 1066, thus giving the Osborns a foothold in England. There is well-founded tradition that William the Conqueror offered William Fitzosborn his daughter and the Isle of Wight if he would win the battle. After some difficulty he was awarded the girl and the Isle and the latter remained in possession of the Osborns from that time on. It became the country home of Queen Victoria, the residence which she occupied there being known as Osborn House.)
Alone with another line (Condit/Conduit) in which puts me kin to my husband..(so many times removed and over 300 years back) Whew..lol.... But this puts us both kin to Sir Isaac Newton.. I have a couple of lines that date way back to 1500's in France and England.. And a Coleman line that dates way back to 1400's... but there is more on this line that dates back to 80AD. And of course I have 4 lines that I am at a brick wall.
Do you guys have any families traced back to NC or VA?
You traced all the way back to 1027? Very cool. Unfortunately, I'll never even get close to that. As far as I know right now, my family traces back to Oklahoma, Texas, South Carolina and Alabama.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:41 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,734,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
Thanks! I'll definitely give it a try.

You traced all the way back to 1027? Very cool. Unfortunately, I'll never even get close to that. As far as I know right now, my family traces back to Oklahoma, Texas, South Carolina and Alabama.
Once you get prior to 1700 (maybe even 1800 if you're really worried about accuracy) you'll find things extremely difficult to prove. There seem to be several family lines that dominate the landscape of the documentation of those early periods in American history but little if any data to prove out those lines. You really wind up taking a lot of it on faith that someone has done the proper homework. I have a fully populated lineage that goes back to Harald Bluetooth, king of Denmark...but how seriously should I believe that without any real records? I bet you'll get a lot further than you expect.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 AM

261 posts, read 951,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Sounds like you're way ahead of me!

As for the family names in OR, they are Garland, Allison, Snow and Hause. Most items belonged to the Garlands while in Portland. Lots of Heppner ties as well.

Are we related?
Right now in Oregon the names are ROYER, BROWN and RILEY, with some BAKER, and HALL. It doesn't sound like we have alot of the same names but I have over 27000 names in my family database, that we could be related!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:49 PM

836 posts, read 3,370,917 times
I know my Osborn line traced back to 1027 is acurate.. My mom had papers on the family line back that far..My 6th great grandfather (Mathew Ozborn) has on his grave marker that he was of Mathew Ozbun of Norse Ozbun of England (he was the stowaway descendant from William Fitzosborn) and we found papers under the headstone to prove this..and yes I spent 3 years making sure everything and everyone was true back to this date..I could probably go back even further but haven't had the time to look.
And I do understand what you mean by it possibly not being accurate due to people not keeping good records back then.. but coming from a line of Royalty "most" of those people keep pretty good records of that time and era.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:24 PM

99 posts, read 309,727 times
I have found the LDS website, one of the best places to search. I have been having trouble researching my dads side of the family, because of the Ohio river floods that destroyed a lot of records of that area and the big fire in DC that also destroyed records. Just recently and adjusting the years when searching in LDS website, I found my gggg-grandfather & wife and all of my grandfathers up to my dads dad. So, keep on looking. People are always submitting records to LDS. Good luck.

I almost had a copy of the obituary of a great Uncle, great Aunt, my grandmother and the widow, but some else claimed the copy. The person could not remember who claimed the copy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy