Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 06:46 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,677,482 times

Advertisements

I got pretty far back on my moms mom side, even found a 3rd cousin in Siberia I went to see afew years ago. Haven't done a thing with the other branchs....
If anyone is Ethnic German from Russia drop me a line I have tons of info....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 10:26 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,076,744 times
Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet

Old 01-27-2008, 02:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,001,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I got pretty far back on my moms mom side, even found a 3rd cousin in Siberia I went to see afew years ago. Haven't done a thing with the other branchs....
If anyone is Ethnic German from Russia drop me a line I have tons of info....
That is one thing I have noticed about many countries E of the Rhine River in Europe-------people tend to hang onto their 'root' ethnicity even if they no longer speak their 'indigenous' language. 'Germans' in Russia come mind.

Whereas W of the Rhine it is nothing to see Frenchmen of Spanish heritage, Hungarian background (Nicholas Sarkozy comes to mind) and many Frenchmen of German/Polish ethnicity.

And; the USA is a melting pot for pretty much all White, etc. people with the exception of some Hispanics.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:21 PM

469 posts, read 2,730,410 times
I've managed to research my genealogy without Ancestry.com, there's tons of free sites with censuses available. One of my favorites is us-census.org which also has a forum where people will do census lookups for you. I'm a stickler for documenting EVERYTHING. I never, EVER take it on faith what some fourth cousin tells me. A lot of the time, family stories are confused, half-forgotten, or downright false. I'm a big believer in going back to the source material, especially:

Census records
Tax lists
Marriage licenses
Death certificates
Military files
Deeds

As for mixed race ancestry, my COX and BRITT ancestors I know for a fact were mulatto. The appear as black one census, mulatto the next, and then white the census after that! Not too hard to figure out what was going on. There's one HARVEY ancestor I'm half-sure was mixed race as well. Her father was definitely white, but there's no evidence that he was even married, much less her mother's name. In the 1870 census, she appears as a "mulatto" woman, and I suspect her mother might've been a slave or a free black woman and she was light enough to pass for white most of her life. Another ancestress was a TALLY who just appears out of nowhere in Franklin co. TN. That was part of the Melungeon territory, and it seems likely she was a Melungeon who married white. Yet another ancestor is a TANKSLEY who also appears out of nowhere in 1890. All attempts to find him on earlier censuses or connect him with existing TANKSLEY families have been frustrated. It's as if he just popped into existence one day fully grown. I'm not sure if he just somehow escaped notice for thirty-some-odd years, or if he changed his name at some point, or if he was mixed race and passing for white.

As for royal and noble ancestry, far more people are descended from Charlemagne than can ever prove it. The number of documented Charlemagne descendants is much lower than actual descendants. But yes, mathematically, everyone with European ancestry is descended from Charlemagne, and a hell of a lot of other people in surrounding areas, too. Beyond that, there's tons of fraudulent pedigrees connecting unrelated individuals to royalty, but some are well-documented. The trick is telling the charlatans from the genuine article.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:16 PM

Note to Missippippienne:

My bio mother; despite her being a certified nutcase (paranoid schizophrenic), gave me a list of surnames in her maternal lineage.

Well; I started checking via ancestry.com and lo and behold: all of the surnames she mentioned checked out.

And; too she spoke of several Mulatto cousins, methinks that was a 'code phrase' for an ancestor of her-----and, by extension, myself.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 AM

836 posts, read 3,370,917 times
I have two of the most common names anyone could ever have to research...SMITH and JONES!

I have my Smith line back to [i]Thomas I. Smith born 1720, died 1798 in Rockingham Co. NC, he married Elizabeth Witt, daughter of John Witt III and Elizabeth Liptrot. Note:According to land deed records the Smiths owned over 12,000 acres of land in VA and NC. And owned over 1000 slaves.
Thomas came to Pittsylvania Co. VA (Now Henry Co. VA) in 1772 and settled on 329 acres of land located on Srpings Branc of Fall Creek on South side of Mayo River, near the North Carolina Border. His neighbors were William Moore, Alexander Joyce, Davis Lanier and Henry Mayes according to the Henry County Deeds Records. Thomas Smith was Captain under Colonel Penn who commanded 21 companies in Henry County Virginia Militia during the Revolutionary War. Captain Thomas Smith's Company consisted of 12 men namely:
William Stewart, John Hurd, James Strange, Henry Smith, Francis Telston, Jesse Burnett, Thomas Hurd, David Atkins, Jonathon Pratt, George Bowles and Henry Law.
Judith Parks Hill worte the History of Henry County, VA, recorded in 1925...
She Wrote:
"On March 11, 1781, Colonel Penn and his men marched from Beaver Creek in Henry County, crossed Rowland's Ford just below Fontaine, followed the Old Road, deep cuts showing it's location, up Marrowbone Valley crossing the creek west of where Ridgeway now stands, thence along the ridge 2 miles, then crossing Matrimony creek half a mile to the state line, only one mile from the Marrowbone home of Old Rusty Hairston to the National Highway is now used for public road. From the south is not known, however, they marched so rapidly they soon reached General Lord Cornwallis a few mile North of Greensboro, NC and begin what become known as The Battle of Guilford Court House on March 11, 1781." I]

I have much more on Thomas I. Smith..
What I would like to know is.. Where the Smith's came from? I have been researching them for the past 5 years.. My cousin whom works for the Rockingham Genealogy Society.. I think he is over everything wrote a book on the Smith's and I now have a copy of this book.. but as far as Thomas Smith no one has any further Information on him such as who his parents were or where the Smiths came from. Is anyone else related to this line..?

My JONES line.. arrgghhhhh it another frustrating family.. I have them back to a Samuel Jones born abt 1800 in NC or VA unknown who he married. His son was a Name: William Armstard JONES Birth: 15 JUN 1825 in Surry County,NC, Death: 27 MAY 1904 in Surry County,NC Married a Lucendy DAWSON b: Abt 1823 in Surry County,NC..I am looking for more information on Samuel Jones...Is anyone out there related to this line of Jones?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:57 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,981,336 times
Default Canada Genealogy

I've been trying to read back on all these posts. Very interesting.
I've been obsessed with this subject for about 10 years now. One of the areas I'm searching is Quebec and I found a site that may be helpful to anyone searching there.
Automated Genealogy
Some of these databases are on Ancestry but they're charging big money for them and I refuse to pay them any more than I already have! Yes, I'm still a member but pay them enough as it is.
I'm also a member of New England Historical Genealogical Society and have found their MA Vital Records on-line well worth the membership.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:00 PM

UPDATE:

I received/sent off my DNA kit two weeks ago this coming Thursday; Identigene received my packet on the 24th.

No notation on their website that they even received the kit; I called them and they stated that I am looking up to March 24th for my results.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:10 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,091,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
I've been dabbling in genealogy since mid-2005, but I'm just now taking a more serious interest in it. I've come across a few helpful sites, but I'm really curious about what Ancestry.com has to offer. Is it worth paying for a subscription?
I think it's worth every penny. But a lot will depend on where your research is. If your ancestors are fairly recent immigrants, unless they're from the British Isles, you won't find as much.

You might first go to your local library and see if they subscribe to Ancestry, and check it out there. The Family History Centers, if there's one near you, should also have a subscription.

There lots of sites that have information available, but Ancestry is the best when it comes to having the most primary resources ... the actual records themselves, not some heresay that someone submitted to a database.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:40 AM

469 posts, read 2,730,410 times
How about we post the surnames we're researching, and the state and county they're from? I'll start.

TANKSLEY: Claiborne co. MS
SORRELS: Lawrence co. MS and Claiborne co. MS
GOLDING or GOLDEN: Floyd co. GA
WATSON: Etowah co. AL
ADAMS: DeKalb co. AL
SMITH: Cherokee co. AL
FOSTER: Copiah and Jefferson co. MS

These are some of the best websites for genealogy that I've found:

us-census.org (census and lookups)
genforum.com (forums)
freeafricanamericans.com (research on free blacks and mulattos)
afrigeneas.org (for African-American genealogy)
msgen.net (for MS genealogy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy