Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 01:37 AM

469 posts, read 2,735,933 times

Advertisements

Here's an amusing story about one of my own ancestors, and a good example of a 'genealogical lucky break'. In 1791, two brothers petitioned the NC senate to have their surnames changed. My ancestor, John Barrot, had his surname changed to FLOWERS as he was "the natural son of Edward Flours". His brother Wright Barrot became Wright LEGGETT, as he was "the natural
son of William LEGGET". Their elder brother William Barrot had already had his name changed to William ASHLEY in 1787. That's right, the three brothers had three different fathers! In this case, we're lucky enough to know the true identities of their fathers, instead of searching futilely for a father with the BARRET name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,018 times
Thumbs up BEST INVESTMENT...on genealogy....

I never could find any information on my grandfathers family from Italy. It was very difficult. What I found out was his name was an Italian name not an English one after all. I looked at Ellis Island records which are free to view with an account there. But I hate to say it joining Ancestry.com was the best solution I ever found you can pay by the month and find most items there on any missing family members alive or dead! And they are even getting better these days. You can also store documents and photo's. Then leave your name and password in your will, and your next of kin can take it over pay for it by the month and continue it on through centuries. It is so exciting to know! I have over 14,000.00 records collected by connecting to other family members down other sides of the tree who find me or I find them!
And it is so facinating to find photo's others have or information you couldn't find or didn't know. The live relatives are the best out of the deal. You will find people you didn't know existed, whom you can care about just as much as your own direct family.
A hint I could give....is....
If you found the cemetery where a relative is buried at, request the records of burial. On this will sometimes not look like much but if you are a good detective you can discover a lot from it, the funeral home to request more info on the burial or last known relatives alive at that time. You can also link to other family members buried in family plots for their info too...it goes on and on. So good luck...best wishes to all. I am now about the early 1700's on grandfathers family tree.
Now, if only I had photo's of their graves in Nutley, NJ ....I would be in heaven with that one....he,he....

Old 04-30-2008, 09:00 AM

14 posts, read 38,766 times
Default Genealogy

Hello, My name is Kimberly. Me and my sisters are working on our ancestry heritage and found that our fathers and mothers families have come from England, Ireland, Scotland, and maybe some Indian in there too. Down through the ages they have moved here and have settled in and around the Mountains of North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, etc. We are doing our search mainly through Ancestry.com. We have found a lot of grand fathers and great grand fathers have come from the Watauga community in North Carolina. If there is anyone in this community that knows a lot of the history I would like to hear from you.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:29 PM

836 posts, read 3,381,427 times
I have lots of family from NC and VA.. Not perticularly from the Watauga area.. but still doesn't mean we couldn't be kin. What are some of your Surnames?

Old 05-01-2008, 02:04 PM

my mothers name was ward and her father married a mccloud, my fathers name is minton and his father married a gould (has several spellings).
we have gotten at least five generations back worth of family members. there are some still missing links that we havnt found yet.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:52 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGAGS2003 View Post
Now, if only I had photo's of their graves in Nutley, NJ ....I would be in heaven with that one....he,he....
I lived iand worked n Nutley area for many years. I wsh I had known sooner you needed photos of graves I would have taken them for you. Unfortunately I have moved out of state, but if you would like, send the information and if and when I get back there I'll see if I can help you out.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:33 AM

836 posts, read 3,381,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMHogan1976 View Post
my mothers name was ward and her father married a mccloud, my fathers name is minton and his father married a gould (has several spellings).
we have gotten at least five generations back worth of family members. there are some still missing links that we havnt found yet.
I have a line of Ward's here in NC... I have them dated back to a James Ward born 1800-1804 in NC, death unknown. First wife is unknown she died in 1849 during the birth of her last child, but the second wife was Nancy Ann Bundy.
Unfortunately I am at a brick wall with James.. found him in the 1840-1850 census of Elizabeth City, Pasquotank Co. NC. but before and after there is no records of him or his family..frustrates me not knowing what happened to them. It is almost like the disappeared.

James and first wife's children:
William Alfred Ward born 1829 in Pasquotank Co. NC, died July 3, 1863 in Gettysburg, PA (during the Civil War).
James born 1830, died in Eden, NC
Enoch born 1835, possibly died in Eden, NC
William Henry born 1839, died in Weeksville, Pasquotank Co. NC
Stephen born 1844
Sarah born 1846
Ambros born 1849

William A. married and moved to Guilford Co. rest of my Ward line settled in Guilford Co.

I have more, Do you have any connections to these names?

Old 05-02-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Ward Family

Omg. We just might be kin somehow. Where do you live? If you live somewhere close to me maybe we can meet up and share what we have on the Wards. Do you have msn or yahoo messenger that maybe we can talk on?

My grandfathers (on my mothers side ) was Hedgie Henry Ward.
DOB: 1918 Sept. 10 DOD: 1980 June 14

Wife of Hedgie:
Mary Sarah McCloud

Brothers of Hedgie were:
Donnelly Ward
Noah Enoch Ward
Eugene Ward

Sisters of Hedgie were:
Libby Ethel Ward
Ruby Ward
Gulda Ward (Stepsister)
Sarah Sue Ward (Stepsister)
Mary Lou Ward (Stepsister)

Hedgie's father was Eli London Ward
DOB: 1887 DOD:Unknown

Wives of Eli were:
Iva Lee Davis
Celia Caroline Presnell

Sisters of Eli were:
Ina B. Ward
Christa A. Ward
Margie C. Ward
Sarah M. Ward

Brothers of Eli were:
William C Ward
Nathan Ward
Alexander Ward
James M Ward
Henry H Ward
McKinley S. Ward
William M Ward

Eli London Ward's father was John W Ward.
DOB:1861 DOD:1910

John W Ward's wife:
Annie Presnell

We can not locate any infomation before he married Annie Presnell or anymore info than I just gave you.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:00 PM

I just looked up on Ancestry.com -- Browser Upgrade under the 1810 Census records and found a James Ward in Pasquotank, NC. Looks like that might have been where he was born. The record isnt very readable but looks like he might have been just born or only a couple years old if this is the same person. The record doesnt show the mother or the father just gives his name and some numbers. Here is the link if you want to check it out yourself: - Ancestry.com.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:36 PM

793 posts, read 2,212,939 times
I been doing my family tree since i was 16 or 17. Myself I am stuck in My american ancestry. I would love to find the birth or baptism of 3 of my ancestors born in the very early 1800s. I can' rely on census then as the names of the people in the household were never enumerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy